Galls has been sold...

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
now maybe the retail store in lexington will expand a little and have more to offer. right now alot of the stuff you want has to be shipped from the warehouse. its kind of a pain. i am only about 45 minutes from the lexington headquarters/retail store.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Now hopefully I will not have to pay sales tax because the previous owner Aramark had businesses in Texas and most all other states. I used to not have to pay tax until Aramark bought Galls. So as long as nothing changes, but the saving of sales tax I am fine with it.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Whats wrong with paying for public saftey, teachers, and roads?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
HILO said:

thats a lame excuse for a question...

state income taxes, fuel tax, federal income taxes, land tax, etc etc etc. im sure 1 lil business isnt going to hurt an entire overly taxed system.

but thats not what this thread is about.

so back to the original topic.

May 21, 2010
Calhoun, TN
"The company recently struck a deal to supply the Chicago Transit Authority, leading to the opening of two retail stores in the city.

"We see that continuing in the future," Dismukes said. "We're working on a major police and fire department in the country now" "

With the above quote, I wonder what major city is fixin' to spend a lot more money on uniforms & supplies than they should? I mean, I like stopping by the store when I travel through Lexington, but I can always find everything cheaper somewhere else.

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
I'd love to see a retail store in the New York/Mass area, but like the above person said...I can find it somewhere cheaper. But still pretty fun to walk around and "ohh and ahh", kinda like you do at trade shows xD

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I would love to see a Galls store in Columbus, Ohio.

We have Roy Tailors here and they suck! I fuckin hate them so much, I go to Mansfield to buy my shit from a company I have been dealing with for years. I dont do business with Roy Tailors unless I need something immediately.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:

We have Roy Tailors here and they suck! I fuckin hate them so much, I go to Mansfield to buy my shit from a company I have been dealing with for years. I dont do business with Roy Tailors unless I need something immediately.

Richland Uniform?

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
FireEMSPolice said:

And Leo Meyer's has shrunk to almost nothing. Back when they were on South High Street, they had everything public safety and military IN STOCK. Embroidery and hemming items was a 10 minute wait, not we'll ship it to you in a few weeks....

May 20, 2010
Hamilton, Ohio
FireEMSPolice said:

That is who we go thru here. They are SO OVERPRICED it isnt even funny. I am barely able to stretch the 1k in uniform allowance i get a year there to just get the stuff i need.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Bigassfireman said:
Richland Uniform?

I used to do ALOT of business with Richland Uniform (I know the former owners personally) over the years, but it got sold and driven pretty much in to the ground. The new owners pissed me off more then once. Professional Image in Mansfield is getting in to the public safety uniform business along side their medical (scrubs) business. Professional Image has taken some of Richland's business. In fact, the former owner of Richland Uniform also owned a police video company called On Patrol Video (OPV).

Where are you from? Not many people know about Richland Uniform.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
dustymedic said:
And Leo Meyer's has shrunk to almost nothing. Back when they were on South High Street, they had everything public safety and military IN STOCK. Embroidery and hemming items was a 10 minute wait, not we'll ship it to you in a few weeks....

I was in Leo Meyers a few months ago to get some pants hemmed up and everytime I go in there, I wonder why they have such a huge building, yet a small showroom with barely anything to show. Some Sheriffs stuff here and there, same with USPS uniforms and some company polos. They did hem my pants up on the spot though.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Jasen Hatfield said:
That is who we go thru here. They are SO OVERPRICED it isnt even funny. I am barely able to stretch the 1k in uniform allowance i get a year there to just get the stuff i need.

They are! If it wasnt for agencies like Columbus PD/FD, Franklin County SO and some other big agencies around here, Roy Tailors would fold. I wish they would. Columbus FD's quartermaster shop is adjacent to their store here in Columbus. They literally share the wall.

Where I used to work, one of my responsibilities was uniforms. We had some shirts that needed patches, which I would supply and stock them with. They told me they wouldnt touch anything we didnt buy from them. I couldnt believe it! I went over there to shop around and get prices for some stuff and the one lady didnt seem like she wanted to tell me the price unless I promised to buy from them. All my patches were done by Richland Uniform in Mansfield. When I discovered Leo Meyers, I was on my way out of that job anyway.

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
FireEMSPolice said:

Oh, you don't like Rip Off Roy's?

I think the biggest thing keeping them in business is the main post office down the street. I would rather pay galls shipping than go to Roy's.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
HILO said:

I get your point, but I'm a dispatcher and EMT, and I pretty much pay my own salary to an extent. If I pick up a pt with a MO MasterCard, I just paid their trip to the hospital, and while that is a tad bit off subject, I pay for everybody's taxes and my salary, so I think I pay enough frickin' already! And the people they sell stuff too, are paying taxes on that stuff that is gonna go right back to their salaries at some point in time! I'll quit rambling! lol

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
FireEMSPolice said:
Not many people know about Richland Uniform.

Ah, Richland Uniform. I lived and worked for most of my career in Morrow County, and spent an awful lot of money at Steve's shop over the last fifteen years. I always liked Alicia and the other two girls that worked there. Sadly, that place went to crap in the past few years, and now that it has moved (and now that I have moved) I have no more reason to shop there.

Last purchase I made from them on the department's dime was over 2 years ago, for a pair of boots, that I still haven't gotten. :confused: Once they had to start ordering everything it was like: "What's the freaking point, I can order shit online all by myself and save a ton in the process...".

OPV was some shitty video units, too, come to think of it. We had a few for a while, they were always puking out on us.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
MeefZah said:
Ah, Richland Uniform. I lived and worked for most of my career in Morrow County, and spent an awful lot of money at Steve's shop over the last fifteen years. I always liked Alicia and the other two girls that worked there. Sadly, that place went to crap in the past few years, and now that it has moved (and now that I have moved) I have no more reason to shop there.

Last purchase I made from them on the department's dime was over 2 years ago, for a pair of boots, that I still haven't gotten. :confused: Once they had to start ordering everything it was like: "What's the freaking point, I can order shit online all by myself and save a ton in the process...".

OPV was some shitty video units, too, come to think of it. We had a few for a while, they were always puking out on us.

All the ladies came to my wedding recently. I like to think my relationship started there. One of the ladies is the girlfriend of my now father-in-law and together with my mother (who takes stuff in for alterations all the time), hooked me up with my now wife.

Richland Uniform moved back in to where it was on Park Ave West next to the Ontario Post Office. I hope it turns around for them.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
The Columbus Fire department Quartermaster is in the other end of the building Roy Tailors is in. When my FD was still using Leo Meyers; we could log into a their website, order what we needed, and have it shipped to us. Roy Tailor won't let us do that; or even order by phone. You drive across town, stand around waiting your turn, then order something that has to be shipped to you because it's not in stock, or they are too backed up to hem or do the embroidery while you are there....

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Yep, you summed it up well Dusty.

I tried to get Roy's some business at my former employer. One thing we needed was patches added to uniform shirts. I was also going to have my local officers sized up/fitted for uniforms and buy uniforms there. The second the rep said they dont sew patches on anything not purchased from them, I thanked him for his time and he lost any business potential. This easily could have evolved into a national contract for about 600 officers between 27 or so properties but they didnt want it that bad I guess. Richland Uniform, who as I stated I have been dealing with since I was a kid, was more then happy to help us.

I will go way out of my way to avoid Roy Tailors if I can.

markko

Nov 7, 2011
USA Wisconsin
I remember getting Galls' first mail ad. It was a single sheet of paper listing used California PA1000's (no yelp or hi-lo on the dial). Also listed used CP25 and TS24 speakers and other minor-brand used stuff.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Yep, I remember when they had a 4 page folded sheet, can't even remember if it was in color or just printed in B&W. Used take-off lightbars and sirens mostly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.