GE Powercall

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Yes, with 58W sirens you can hook them up to a 100W siren speaker with no problems. It just will put out the 58W of sound power the siren console is rated for:).

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Yes, but use a "full sized" speaker, not one of the newer flat, compact speakers. The Powercall will blow them. Something like a Federal TS100 would be good. The Powercall is extremely low toned, while the new flat speakers are made for the high-pitched dreck made today.

Last edited by a moderator:

BAKE19

Jun 1, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa.
That explains why it sounded bad on the dynomax in the Truck and sounded great on my federal TS100. I'll have to fabricate a bracket to fit my federal under the bumper.

crescentstar69 said:
Yes, but use a "full sized" speaker, not one of the newer flat, compact speakers. The Powercall will blow them. Something like a Federal TS100 would be good. The Powercall is extremely low toned, while the new flat speakers are made for the high-pitched dreck made today.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I had a feeling that the different styled speakers made a difference in the sound. We have a pick up on my dept that has an EQ2B. I runs through two Dynamax speakers. And it just doesn't sound right.

I am putting a Carson mechanical in my truck. (second siren just for mechanical) I wonder if I should put a diiferent speaker in vs the Dynamax?

Do the older GE Powercalls sound the same as the newer powercalls? Sorry for hijacking this thread

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The highest note in the GE Power-Call/Siren wail/yelp cycle is about 1000Hz, which is typical of most low-pitched electronic sirens.

The highest note in the wail/yelp cycle of most high-pitched electronic sirens is around 1400-1600Hz.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
GE Powercall through AS124 speaker. Sounds GREAT and have had no problems, albeit it doesn't get used very much.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
The original Powercalls are awesome, when you can find them. But I think they were 100-watt outputs, not 58. The small town of Brownfield, TX, about 35 mi. sw of Lubbock ran Powercalls on their ambulances. One of them was a '74 Wayne/Dodge MediCruiser, one of the nicest of the original Type IIs ever built, and their Powercall was powered by a pair of CP100 speakers. The rig also had a roof-mounted Q. Whenever they ran to Lubbock they would pass my apartment; and you have no idea what it was like to be awakened by that Powercall sound rattling my brain in the middle of the night...much less that Q! :yes:

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Actually 75 watts, I believe. Definitely not 100, but you certainly wouldn't believe it. Those things crank. I ran with one for years, and people told me how the sound rattled their cars!

That's why I laugh at these expensive new "Howlers" and Rumblers". The Powercall did the same thing all by itself. New, high pitched sirens just can't compete.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
crescentstar69 said:
That's why I laugh at these expensive new "Howlers" and Rumblers". The Powercall did the same thing all by itself. New, high pitched sirens just can't compete.

When Federal redesigned the siren oscillator circuits of the Director and Interceptor sirens to produce high-pitched wail and yelp tones in the early 1970s, that tolled the death knell for low-pitched electronic sirens. The 1970s Directors and Interceptors sound pretty much like the high-pitch sirens we hear today.

However, in my opinion the 1960s Directors and Interceptors with the low-pitched tones give the General Electric Power-Call/Siren some pretty stiff competition.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
When Federal redesigned the siren oscillator circuits of the Director and Interceptor sirens to produce high-pitched wail and yelp tones in the early 1970s, that tolled the death knell for low-pitched electronic sirens. The 1970s Directors and Interceptors sound pretty much like the high-pitch sirens we hear today.

However, in my opinion the 1960s Directors and Interceptors with the low-pitched tones give the General Electric Power-Call/Siren some pretty stiff competition.

One example of a Director competing with a Powercall would be on an ambulance I saw in the '70s. It was a then-new 1976 high-top Dodge van ambulance. It sported triple CP-100 speakers over the cab. They were powered by a single Director siren. But talk about loud........! Ouch! doesn't describe it!

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Which is a better verson of the Power Call? The Sho-Me or the Power Call brand? I have a Smart Siren in my truck. I would like to get a power call. Sho-Me has a couple different versons. If there is a way I would like to be able to run the siren from the Smart Siren. I have a Carson with the mechanical sound. It runs off one switch on the SS but the Carson is hidden. I only have it for the mechanical sound. A bit of overkill I know lol

Sorry for hijacking thread

exphillycop

Apr 18, 2012
Holmes Beach, Florida
I have an old GE powercall from the late 70's. Philly actually threw all of them out when the refurbished their radio/siren shop. Went dumpster diving and scored big. They threw out hundreds of them. Philly was known for the powercalls, most all of us used the warble......you always knew when backup was coming. If you watch the old COPS in Philly, you can here the warble in most of the calls.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeaustin924

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.