Got me a Jetsonic model J CAL series B

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
Needs some good cleaning and polishing of the domes...does not work jet, should the rotators turn on when i power red an black?
Can anyone one give me more info, my guess is CAL stands for California? What does the black box do? any help appreciated!

Jetsonic 1.jpgJetsonic4.jpg

Reactions: jph2 and dmathieu

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I believe the black box is a strobe power supply. If you look what are in the rear amber lampholders you can see if there are strobe flash tubes or halogen lamps.
If it is halogen lamps I do not know what the box is.
If I do not remember wrong you must have power to any of the function cables, not only the power cables, to have it to run. I do not know which one.
You have function cables for revolving, steady red, front flashing and rear amber.

Michael

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Yes, the black box is for the strobe power supply, and yes, if you put the black wire to ground and the red wire to power the rotators should spin and light up. If anything, there should be a secondary, thinner gauge, red wire or red with white wire that you should touch to the power. The thicker red and the thinner red together should make the rotators spin.

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
Opened the black box, it's placed to the left of the horn, doesnt look like a strobe supply:
If is push the right coil the rotators start (no lights yet) my guess this is the "stepper" module for the CAL version B Jetsonic.

IMG_0639_02.JPG

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
That’s the brain/relay board for any smart functions (not the J22 strobe supply). Depending on installed options, it controls the smart rotators, front cut off, etc. I got a J series B a couple months back and messed around a good bit with it. Wasn’t wired correctly when I received it so took some time to figure everything out, but pretty cool stuff. The schematics in the back of this install guide were very helpful in orienting me. You’ll see a set for J-CAL I believe. https://www.fedsig.com/resource-document/file/8062

Reactions: Thomas1234

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
@gtpts27 thanks for the link, maybe you can help me out here:

Does anyone know how to activate the "rotators to home position and start flashing" ?

tried all the wires, maybe it's a combination?

black is ground
red is power + color=
Green is right alley
Orange is left alley
Blue is rear Warning light
Yellow is front stationary flashers if fitted
Gray is option front steady burn.
Red/white is 4x rotators
Black/white is?

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
The bar I got had a busted microswitch (took me a bit to figure that out). Fortunately I had an extra, but it did prompt me to look around for a replacement. I bought these (link below) but haven’t had a chance to test them. They do look correct and numbers all match. May have a chance to test one this weekend. Also, are you also missing the “gear” w the indent on it that triggers the microswitch? Wasn’t clear on that. I may have an extra somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FHCICVA/?tag=elightbars-20

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
Yes, i miss the white top gear with the indent, my guess it was not used on this bar or broke and the whole unit was replaced, btw looks very similar to the Aerodynic motors. Also i noticed that 2 out of 4 "chips" are missing, these might be needed for the flashing or powering the relays?

Attachments

• Naamloos-1-Hersteld.png
    Naamloos-1-Hersteld.png
    690.5 KB · Views: 6

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
@gtpts27 I think that is a big possibility, but not 100% sure yet.
When i look at the parts list the microswitch is not used on the CAL version, that explains!
Still not sure why there are 5 relays on the board...

IMG_0646.png

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Not sure what is going on here.. the brain box is definitely for the smart Jet series I don't know enough about them to know if the J-CAL series bar ever had this option. The motor and gearbox is definitely not one found on a smart series Jetsonic. It's quite possible that the board you have has been bypassed as they were known to fail.. and they replaced the gearbox with a normal one since the light just needed to work.

my .02 cents.

My J-CAL is not a smart bar..

Jun 18, 2013
PA
The relay board however is a smart board for the rotators.. not a flasher board. I had to replace one of these boards just recently.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.