Grand Rapids Fire Dept. (michigan) New highway crash safety vehical.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
great idea,saves departments money when morons dont pay attention

pondfly

May 21, 2010
IL
Fantastic idea, from the intended use, hauling things (hose, hay, etc.) and throw a plow up front for clearing paths when the city can't keep up. I love it.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Ok, now THIS is a real traffic unit.

Got some info about this is in an email from firefighterclosecalls.com, pretty interesting. Apparently the local SOP is to send two vehicles for highway crashes, one as a rescue unit and the second as a blocker to protect the crews. But, the local drivers are pretty bad and they kept hitting the blocker unit causing a lot of damage and downtime. So... this came about.

It's a former utility truck from the water department, and has been given an arrow board, crash attenuator, light bar, chevrons, etc. And a split pattern for the front bumper lights. Boooo. The video says it's not in service yet, but I'm wondering if they'll put anything in the dump body. I'd say a bunch of cones and such, but getting access to them would probably be difficult.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Yeah, saw this earlier on the secret list. Anything that will help them do the job safer and cause less damage to apparatus is a great idea. It really shows their chief's and officials are thinking outside the box and trying to save money. Great job!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I think its a GREAT idea!!! Looks good too... A little minimal with frontal warning, but thats not where its needed... And the rear is set-up perfect...

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
As much as I hate Connecticut at least they are doing something right with their CHAMP program. They are fully equipped trucks and assist FD and PD with traffic control at accidents and traffic stops as well provide assistance to motoroists. We've had good luck with them so far and they are called to respond to our accident scenes as soon as we are dispatched.

ax635photos.com_albums_userpics_CTDot.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.