Great video showcase of vintage Mars and Tripp Lite, with a neat ending!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I came across this video in a search on Youtube and was impressed at this neat collection showcase this fella was doing. Some very nice pieces of Mars history are presented, with some lights I didn't even know Mars made. Then later, the video changes to a work room full of vintage sirens and lights being restored, with the guy's wife talking about it. It slowly dawned on me as I was watching whose place it was and I had to laugh while looking at all the neat stuff around the shop and how it all could fit!

Well, enough introduction. See if you can guess who made this video... ;)

Reactions: Windycity411

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
Dang! A whole lotta $$$ there!

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
WOW!!! Nice educational video, I know enough about who it is that i agree with y'all that it is J.D. , need to contact him about a "siren" that mounts under the hood in the engine compartment on my project car. This will be in addition to the "peanut whistle" that will be on the car also!!

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
Ya caught me.

Actually, I made this for Bob Herling at Tri/Lite. I didn't know that he was going to post it on you tube. Next time I'll use a tripod.

John Dorgan

PS Not my wife, my daughter.

AshSkip

Oct 16, 2011
logan co. ky
I am amazed. I never realized what kind of operation he had going there. Its nice to know that someone out there cares enough about this stuff to fix it up rite and preserve it for the future.

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
Sirenman said:
Ya caught me.
Actually, I made this for Bob Herling at Tri/Lite. I didn't know that he was going to post it on you tube. Next time I'll use a tripod.

John Dorgan

Really nice video, John. You have some of the nicest stuff on the planet and the knowledge to go with it. Great to see the shop as well!

fireball3

Oct 25, 2010
Lyon, France
Sirenman said:
Ya caught me.

John Dorgan

I say, respect sir!

I am ecstatic to your collection of lights and sirens Mars! Thank you John!

Cyril

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
As cool as the parade of Mars stuff is... I am stoked to see the workshop.... I have always wondered what the lair of the chrome master looked like.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
You know, I am by no means a collector, nor do I have any intense interest in the older warning devices (to the degree some of you guys out there do), but that video is pretty kick ass, and some really interesting pieces in there.

Just another thing I look at and go "*sigh* If only I had the money...."

May 28, 2010
Loveland, Ohio
Great shots of some amazizng stuff. MARS also made a "secret service" light years ago that essentially was an 888 (or an 8-not sure) behind the front license plate. When the switch was thrown, the plate lowered (90 degree front tilt, bottom bracket) and the light shows up. I have never seen one but saw the brochure.

THANKS for sharing your amazing collection, John (and Helen!)...and if you are ever able to, please show off the very rare Whiting light-my personal favorite,

Billy

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
The work is great, good to see someone doing this kind of restorration.

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
I've had the privilege of meeting John and his family on two occasions and visiting his humble abode and workshop. Actually more impressive than the workshop are the display cases in his home chronicalling the history of emergency lighting and sirens with some extremely rare and beautiful pieces. He is always very gracious and patient as I drool on his carpet in reverance and Joe, his son, who's doing more of the heavy lifting on restorations these days, has learned well from the master. It's amazing how they can take a seemingly unrestorable light or siren and return it to like new.

Thanks John for opening your door and sharing your wonderful collection with fellow enthusiasts!

AshSkip

Oct 16, 2011
logan co. ky
BillyG said:
Great shots of some amazizng stuff. MARS also made a "secret service" light years ago that essentially was an 888 (or an 8-not sure) behind the front license plate. When the switch was thrown, the plate lowered (90 degree front tilt, bottom bracket) and the light shows up. I have never seen one but saw the brochure.
THANKS for sharing your amazing collection, John (and Helen!)...and if you are ever able to, please show off the very rare Whiting light-my personal favorite,

Billy

do you have a copy of the brochure or pic of the light that you could post? that is so fascinating, id love to see it

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Sirenman said:
Ya caught me.

John Dorgan

John,

I liked the dog barking in the back ground too. Awesome shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
John,

what can one say?? How about a video of the rest of your collection, Would love to see some of those lit up!

:crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.