Grill Lighting Options for Jeep Grand Cherokee?

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Hey Guys, Looking for some advise on what to do for grill warning on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Laredo Eddition). An internet picture is bellow. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2012-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-grill-img-12.jpg

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
what about sound offs intersectors, good to front and 45 angle

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
To OP:

Nice vehicle! You could put something behind the grille, or on the outside with a bracket behind them holding them in. Pretty much any light you get will do the job, just personal preference. Im not going to recommend a specific brand, but a simple tir3 or tir4 will do the job. If you want to spend more on a more advanced light then go ahead. If you search the install section, you will see a few other jeep grand cherokees, which have grill lights mounted on them.

irsa76 said:
My only concern with this idea, is unless they're mounted on a pushbar/grill guard they are possibly very vulnerable to damage.
What? Are you saying grill lights are vulnerable to damage? I suppose if you crash they are, but Id be more worried about my vehicle than the lights being damaged.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
theroofable said:
To OP:
Nice vehicle! You could put something behind the grille, or on the outside with a bracket behind them holding them in. Pretty much any light you get will do the job, just personal preference. Im not going to recommend a specific brand, but a simple tir3 or tir4 will do the job. If you want to spend more on a more advanced light then go ahead. If you search the install section, you will see a few other jeep grand cherokees, which have grill lights mounted on them.

What? Are you saying grill lights are vulnerable to damage? I suppose if you crash they are, but Id be more worried about my vehicle than the lights being damaged.

Sorry, I meant because they are a very deep light compared to the usual lightheads they will stick out further from the grill which make mean they get knocked by people walking past the front of the car or parking etc. I've had driving lights mounted on license plate mounts on a few cars and they were always getting knocked about by people brushing against the front of the car. Mounting the intersectors so the back half the light is recessed in the grill would work well, fwiw the diplomatic protection unit near me used to run a couple of ZJs where they mounted a lighthead at a 45* angle in the top of the outer most grill slot. Until they swapped to a bullbar and remounted the lights to the corners of the bumper, no pics as they REALLY don't like photos!

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Maverick711 said:
Whelen ion series is very bright and lots of mounting options
Will the ion fit? I know people don't like mounting lights vertically if they were meant for horizontal use. I agree with whelen, there is a Blue/White avenger on my dash.

theroofable said:
To OP:
Thanks! I've looked at the few instals and they're all great. All I'm looking for, is something simple. I just posted to get other options since Jeep grills aren't the easiest. Thanks again.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Take a look at your grill, If memory serves me there are like 8 screws that hold the black fin panel and the outer grill in place. 4 accessible from the front and about the same from the top under hood. All could be removed/installed with a cordless drill/driver. Mine was fairly easy to get into, older model but not that much difference.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
What about a stick mounted horizonatally behind the grill? Like a dominator D6, a 911ep TD/WL24, a StrobesNMore 6 head, SoundOff UltraLite or something like that. Only very little will be lost behind the grill openings.

bj7141a

May 29, 2010
Newtown Square
Not sure if its the same as a 2009 SRT8 but the light stick idea wont work. The grill spacing blocks too much of the light stick, I tried a sound off ultralite8. What I did in the SRT8 and the previous 2005 Jeep was got 5" bolts and dropped down brackets and mounted 2 Code 3 LedX behind the grill of the SRT8. In the center I mounted a preemption strobe, nova remote mount. In the 2005 I mounted a L Shaped bar across the whole grill and spaced 4 lights across the grill. You would have to check yours, but the 09 has a metal tube support that gets in the way but that may be the SRT8 only cause of the aerodynamics. I can take pictures and what not send them thur text message, I have been installing for 20+ years and been thur alot of different installation problems and solutions. I will send you a PM with my phone #

Storm4200 said:
What about a stick mounted horizonatally behind the grill? Like a dominator D6, a 911ep TD/WL24, a StrobesNMore 6 head, SoundOff UltraLite or something like that. Only very little will be lost behind the grill openings.

kkets323

Oct 6, 2011
NY
here is my car still not done but its a start

2012 GC laredo X

whelen slim lighter pro on the dash

4 tir 3 in grill

1 fenix 150wt speaker

fenix 6 head in the lower grill with option of take down for fog lights

whelen vertex in fog lights

stl dual heads in sides

nothing in the rear i had a 6 head directional but there to think im trying to think of something to put in the back maybe another slim lighter pro maybe 2 whelen IONs any ideas lol not to hack your thread...

sorry for the poor video quality didnt hold the iphone right.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
I would have six feniex single Pythons color/color/white/space/white/color/color.

Police lights, Emergency led lights, public work lights, Feniex industries, Warning vehicle lights and sirens, lightbars

Flash all the color at the same time then the two whites at the same time using an external led flasher...the Pythons have a rail mount, so two flat head screws with washer/bolts for each light will give you a clean install with a big punch. Much brighter than any tir 3 style head. The Ghost/Ion type light will not fit in between the slats...

Budget permitting, you could add another color Python in the middle synced with all the other colors to flash at the same time...larger warning footprint.

Jan 7, 2011
Tampa, Florida
firedude said:
Hey Guys, Looking for some advise on what to do for grill warning on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Laredo Eddition). An internet picture is bellow. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 36650
As everyone else stated, the Whelen IONs are a great choice, but I am recommending the SoundOff Ghost Series. They are not as deep and are very nice lights for the price. Both the IONs and Ghost come with a "hood mounting" bracket and Hoser mentioned the grill coming out easily, they will clamp down on the back side of your vertical grill bars and be secure. If you wish to not mount vertically, Rontan Signals makes a nice Quasar Line, in split colors that is only 3/4" thick and mount flush. They are almost as bright at an ION, LINZ6 or Ghost, but for the price, I have 6 on my vehicle and I love them. They are easily seen in the daytime and very well seen at night.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.