Grover help

Falcon9

May 23, 2010
Manila,Australia
ok, so I posted earlier that I was planning on installing a grover horn on my truck...

I've since bought this

Viair 20005 2 Gallon Air Source Kit (not from them but the same compressor) and I can get the horn locally.

Is that enough for it to sound liek it should? Ive seen some youtube vids of them at 120psi with 1.5g and they sound ok. Thats 2gal.

I'd like it to sound like this..

or thereabouts lol thanks

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
Falcon9 said:
Cool beans. I'm probably running just 1 trumphet.. I'll see how I go. :D thanks :D

It's all about how much you use the horn. If you use it normally and dont hold it down for five minutes (obviously exagerating) you oughta be fine.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Bigredinstalls said:
It's all about how much you use the horn. If you use it normally and dont hold it down for five minutes (obviously exagerating) you oughta be fine.

I have a friend that works in my county's EMS and he firmly believes that the A/H is a siren and he will use it as such. We would literally go on a 3 mile run and be out of air by the time we got there. I mean the whole time we were driving it was A/H all the time!!! lol. Sorry, that one hit home! lol:crazy:

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Bigredinstalls said:
If you use it normally and dont hold it down for five minutes (obviously exagerating)

It's been done before, or at least close to it. Took this video going to a mutual aid call a few years ago. I wasn't driving or in control of the Q or horns, one of the overzealous younger guys was. All I had was the Code3 electronic. I'm not a big fan of riding on a truck he's driving, he gets tunnel vision waaaay too quickly, and will actually forget that he's stepping on the Q or horn pedals....

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
Rofocowboy84 said:
It's been done before, or at least close to it. Took this video going to a mutual aid call a few years ago. I wasn't driving or in control of the Q or horns, one of the overzealous younger guys was. All I had was the Code3 electronic. I'm not a big fan of riding on a truck he's driving, he gets tunnel vision waaaay too quickly, and will actually forget that he's stepping on the Q or horn pedals....
v=PRkZna9PT80&feature=player_detailpage

It's instances like this that make me hope that the Air horn system has a seperate tank from the chasis systems.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
We had issues with the air supply in my company before... the older guys tell stories about one officer that LOVED the air horn... so much that they'd only get a half-mile from the station and the brakes would lock up stopping the rig in the middle of the road. We still have that engine (1972 Seagrave), but it's been retired.

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
whatevah said:
We had issues with the air supply in my company before... the older guys tell stories about one officer that LOVED the air horn... so much that they'd only get a half-mile from the station and the brakes would lock up stopping the rig in the middle of the road. We still have that engine (1972 Seagrave), but it's been retired.

Lol, we have a guy like that, and im like that as well, but i usually keep an eye on the air gauge. Our 2007 ladder has a sensor that will prevent the horns from being sounded unless the air is above a certain PSI. Several times ive yanked on the horn cord, to find that they would only sound for about a second before kicking off, lol. THank god for a v-con on that, or else i wouldnt have a horn when that happens!

Falcon9

May 23, 2010
Manila,Australia
Traffic here is shithouse. They dont even give way for our trucks and get pissed if they give way. lol then we have the people who tailgate the truck, block us, taunt us etc. This will just help a bit lololol

May 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Perhaps the police in Australia should become aggressive in citing drivers who tail gate and don't pull over. We seem not to have that issue in LA too much (unless they don't hear the EV), and the police/CHP here do cite errant drivers when spotted.

If running out of air is a problem, consider Martin or Fiamm EV horns. They can operate for 30 minues without pausing. Might be expensive, but you will be heard by most drivers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.