GSP car with rear deck camera

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
All of our unmarked cars have them to the rear as well. Has been handy in documenting people's stupidity at red lights throwing stuff out of the car, letting their kids crawl around the passenger compartment, etc. since they don't know the car in front of them is the police.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
ALPR would seem like an easier way to see the "Move Over" violators. But I don't know the speed limitations for the system.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
lafd55 said:
ALPR would seem like an easier way to see the "Move Over" violators. But I don't know the speed limitations for the system.

LPR wouldn't work for MOL. It reads plates and has a time/GPS stamps, but there's nothing that can show the violator didn't slow down (as required on a 2 lane), etc. Even for a normal MOL stop, the majority (around here at least) aren't from the "victim" officer but from a 2nd one either on scene or watching near by.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I should have said in addition to a camera as you're right with the speed aspect. And also true, during detail time usually there would be a second unit behind watching for violators.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
I've seen Ga cars with rear deck cameras in the pre-digital age. They are used for commercial vehicle stops (esp. 18 wheelers) as the officer will park in front of the vehicle. All of the "action" is behind the patrol car, hence the need for a rear facing camera.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.