Halo Headlights

lightthenight

May 24, 2010
Rochester NY
I have a broken headlight on my impala and its just so happened a guy I work with had a new set of blue led halo headlights for it that he only wanted 25 bucks for. I picked them up just because they were cheap, but then I got thinking. Each headlight has two blue led Halos and three Blue led dots on the outer edge. What If I wired them to a flasher? Run them solid for driving then switched to a pattern for responding. Anyone ever seen anything like it? would it just be a waste of time?

there's a company in New Orleans that does custom LED and CCFL lighting and installed halos in a Dodge Charger connected to a flasher.

if your lights are LEDs, then I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing. I'd use a SPDT relay, with the 87A terminal powering the halos in normal operation and the 87 terminal powering the flasher- that way you can turn off the halos and engage the flasher with one switch.

lightthenight said:
Holly F&*K thats awesome. I am pretty thrilled about this now...

+1. i'm surprised someone on the board hasn't installed and posted something like that (at least from what i've seen)

If I saw a vehicle running hot with flashing halos coming up behind me a couple things would (could) happen 1. I would brake check them..hard. 2. I would not take it seriously. That is for a car show not emergency responses. My two cents.

Klein said:
If I saw a vehicle running hot with flashing halos coming up behind me a couple things would (could) happen 1. I would brake check them..hard. 2. I would not take it seriously.

In my experience, that's what happens pretty much all the time with ANY emergency lights. ;)

My main concern would be the quality of the parts themselves - I wouldn't trust the typical PepBoys/Autozone/JC Whitney ricer LEDs for a critical application, and the high-end stuff is wicked pricey.

Stendec said:
In my experience, that's what happens pretty much all the time with ANY emergency lights. ;)

Stendec....for once...I agree with your statement and actually laugh. But I didnt mean it in THAT sense :lol:

Klein said:
If I saw a vehicle running hot with flashing halos coming up behind me a couple things would (could) happen 1. I would brake check them..hard. 2. I would not take it seriously. That is for a car show not emergency responses. My two cents.

Agreed. Now... the tail and reverse light setup, I'd take that without question setup in a "Flashback" pattern.

Besides, aren't blue lights to the front on a POV just driving down the road and not going to an emergency illegal? I know their are vehicles running around with the blue headlights, but that doesn't make them legal.

GaryErrol said:
Besides, aren't blue lights to the front on a POV just driving down the road and not going to an emergency illegal? I know their are vehicles running around with the blue headlights, but that doesn't make them legal.

+1

Oh, I missed the "blue" part I assumed white. Yeah that's illegal for normal driving.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381