"Handcuff" style universal rifle lock question...

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
So....I've been carrying my SBR in a standard AR-style electric lock....in a vertical setup between the front seats of my c-vic....BUT, my department just switched us from small pistol-style tac-lights mounted to our foregrips, to a much larger rifle tac-light. Now, my lock wont fit around the foregrip of my rifle because the light is now in the way. Who out there has experience with the universal "handcuff-style" locks, like the one from Santa Cruz? I need to know if the locking mechanism has a pretty large opening...so it will fit around the foregrip and light.

Here's a pic of the lock.....

[Broken External Image]:http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/tompatterson18/VP008_330_1.jpg

And here's one of my rifle, so you can see what I'm up against...

[Broken External Image]:http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/tompatterson18/2011-08-06_17-09-41_741.jpg

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
Disregard...i found some pics of the lock installed....and it looks like it'll work if I put the lock between the receiver, and the rear of the light....I'll just need to move my light forward a notch or two

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Should fit around the handguard slip ring/delta ring. Dude, time for a SF mini-scout light. Solve some of the problem you have there. Unless you really need the reach of that M900, I'd look at a smaller light set-up. Is that a 10.5"?

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
Yep...its a 10.5". So far, I'm loving the light....it has a really long throw, plus we have a flip-open diffuser that changes it to a crazy bright flood beam. These lights work great on the 16" rifles....its only the SBR's that are having the problem. I could move it forward a bunch, but it'll put the light-head directly in the comp-blast.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
k9cop116 said:
...it'll put the light-head directly in the comp-blast.

I have this issue on my SBR. First, do you really need the comp on a 10.5? If it's like my, it's louder than hell already and a comp is just plain obscene. It is also likely that the comp is dangerous to others and your hearing, more so than normal, and probably makes you unpleasant to shoot around. Indoors CQB will be fun, as well. I recently tried a Battle Comp (the current *best ever* comp) and took it off after 3 mags of shooting. The concussion when shooting next to a barricade or wall was, literally, like being kicked in the head with each shot, making my contacts shift on my eyes. It was so loud that it sounded like a .308 and affected all other shooters. What I've learned is that a 10.5" gun is a tradeoff (like all guns) and in regards to muzzle devices especially so. I would consider either a Levang linear, Troy Claymore, or Noveske Krink comp/brake; all three channel the blast forward, making them the better choice for short-barrels. They are still loud, but concussion is managed much better for the shooter and bystanders.

Now having said all that, I am now running a simple Vortex on mine. It does smoke up my light quickly, but I just put a flip-up cover on it for practice. For duty use, the cover is off. Honestly, if you look at most what-if scenarios the light will be used before shooting (target ID/searching) and thus wouldn't be "dirty" when in use. If an extended gunfight takes place then the light will get smoked-up. To combat this and make it easy to clean, just coat the lens/bezel very lightly with gun oil and it will wipe right off. Just don't let it sit for an extended period of time with the carbon build-up, or you will have to soak it. BTW, if you are not running an LED light on a duty gun, it is time to upgrade. They are way more reliable and the longer battery life it a blessing. I understand the desire for throw, and LEDs are not always the best in that regard, but the true-color rendering and perfect beam add a lot to their usefulness in LE work, IMO. I have a mini-scout on mine and it does everything I need. The only real draw back I have noticed is when using it where I am lighting into an area that is already lit by a street light. The LED just doesn't impact as well.

Another route could be a simple Surefire G2X in a MOE-specific mount. 200 lumens and the G2X is a great light. I have one on my belt now.

Here is a 10.5 with MOE and IWC Mount-n-Slot/G2X combo:

awww.impactweaponscomponents.com_static_images_homepage_10.5229cf273564f90a8f5cca3e30ddafb8a4b.jpg

Admit it...you're in love! Website: Impact Weapons Components

And you'll have an easier time making the gun fit a rack. BTW, that image shows a Battle Comp...forget that.

NC lawdog

Sep 12, 2010
North Carolina
k9cop116 said:
So....I've been carrying my SBR in a standard AR-style electric lock....in a vertical setup between the front seats of my c-vic

Do you have your AR mounted against a cage or is it free standing. Been wanting to get a vertical mount but I don't have a cage to mount it to.

k9cop116

May 31, 2010
Southeast Texas
NC lawdog said:
Do you have your AR mounted against a cage or is it free standing. Been wanting to get a vertical mount but I don't have a cage to mount it to.

Mine is mounted against the cage....but if you can find any pics of a texas DPS crown vic....they have free-standing vertical racks mounted between the front seats....they are dual racks that hold a shotgun as well as their AR's. I'll see if I can get a buddy of mine to take a pic and send it to me

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.