HAWs vs. LAWs

Alec R

Sep 9, 2014
eLightbars
What is the difference between these types of lightheads? Which one best suits my needs?

Discuss!

Please keep it clean and organized, this forum section is heavily moderated to keep information organized. We're going to use content from these discussions to compile a helpful guide for users seeking information about products in this industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
There are strobe HAWs, there are LED HAW, there are Whelen LAW (LAW is the model name) light heads that have been discontinued.

HAW strobes can fill a light assembly better in most applications. More heat, more wiring, colored strobe heads look silly, limited patterns, limited features.

HAW LEDs have better color choices, can be installed in smaller light assemblies, can be multiple colors, have almost endless pattern possibilities, can be used without being hidden away, stedy burn, run cooler and with less power than strobes. Don't always fill a light housing as well as as a strobe head.

I feel that all the benefits of HAW LEDs make them better choice than strobe HAWs. The few limitations are easy to overlook. When comparing prices between strobe and LED set ups, I think HAW LEDs have the advantage, or best bang for the buck.

markko

Nov 7, 2011
USA Wisconsin
I continue to buy HAW strobes.  Nothing beats the crisp flash of a strobe tube within a front turn signal or backup light housing, especially if you know what you're doing and install it for best focal effect.

AJ3814

Mar 13, 2015
Central Louisiana
I have to agree with the above...... while the color options of LED's are definitely attractive and have come a LONG way, they still are not near as bright and don't "pop" like the clear strobes. And, in the all-important preliminary (sp?) warning stages of entering an intersection, I don't give a crud about color.... I want to convey the message of "HEY LOOK AT THIS!!!!..... IT'S NOT NORMAL!!!"..... Let them (other motorists) worry about "Who is that?" later..... I want their attention first and foremost.

My own little opinion on the subject...... When viewing vehicles "running hot" from above (i.e. helicopter), there are two VERY SPECIFIC lighting systems that can be seen (and tracked) exponentially more than ANY of the others..... The most visible bar is the MX7000 with the intersection sweepers activated, and the other is clear corner strobes. EVERYTHING else is somehwere in the outfield as far as being seen, including the new LED's. It's for this reason, that my POV has just that set-up. 

BUT...... I do have to add that there are some new "button LED's" (that's what I call them anyway) that can be mounted anywhere on any exterior surface, and are no bigger than a quarter...  The Montana Highway Patrol has them mounted on some of their new cars and they are very bright. This may be a new alternative, although requiring yet another hole for each one.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
More info would be nice.  What application are you using them for, what vehicle, what service, etc.  If you are a surveyor working on the side of the road with them on all day I would say LAW simply for the extended life that LEDS provide.  If you are a volly FF that only uses them going to the station then maybe HAW strobes would look better.

All boils down to your personal preference really.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.