Help ID these Federal Signal strobe tubes

DLuccia

Premium Member
May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT
I need to ID these strobe tubes so I can get a replacement for it. They are from the federal tubes that are mounted in the grill of my stations 66 dodge powerwagon brush truck.I don't know much in the way of federal products

The last picture is the power supply that goes with it to give an idea what I am looking for.

Thanks

Dan

[Broken External Image]:http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/Localherossupply327/2010-09-29123321.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/Localherossupply327/2010-09-29123253.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/Localherossupply327/2010-09-29122006.jpg

Those are the twistlock bayonet strobes & power supply found in Jetsonic & Jetstream Lightbars. They can typically be found pretty cheap new or used on eBay or from a member on here. On a truck that old you may not want to change what kind of strobes on it but it is something to consider.

Dan,

I think I have one like this but it's an helix (coiled glass tube). Would that work?

I need atleast one of them idealy two of them.

They don't want to update the truck.I was going to update it for them a few times but they wana keep the truck as classic as they can. Its the first piece that the company bought themselves. We had a big shouting match when we added strobes to the rear.

If someone has them please let me know

Thanks

Dan

I do not believe Federal sells them anymore. I know Galls sold them for a while, but for too much $$$$ for what they were. They are an old system/idea, and not a very stable system either. As mentioned above, they were an accessory to the Jet series light bars. I have never seen them used outside of that.

I spoke to tech support they no longer make them. The lady I spoke to wasn't helpfull and was just unplesent to deal with. Was the rudest tech support I've delt with. I've never delt with federal signal products befor and if that's a norm. I am glad I don't. Ill take Whelen any day.

Just a suggestion, if your department does not object, turn them into wig wag's. Very easy to do.

Were those tubes used on the StreetHawk 2ndary lights for the strobe option?

Yes. I forgot they had them too. But I believe the hawk used the J-30 power supply.

Not to get too far off topic, but, what's the difference between the J22 and the J30?

Actually there is a J-20 and a J-22 which are basically the same. Same size housing, same flash pattern, both were designed for the Jet series lightbar. Why Federal made 2 supplies that were the same????? Maybe someone else on the board knows.

The J-30 was designed for the Streethawk lower level lamps. However, I saw a Strobehawk that used the J-30 for the 360's, which I do not think is correct. The Strobehawk we had, the power supply was in the speaker housing, and was a metal box.

jdh said:
Just a suggestion, if your department does not object, turn them into wig wag's. Very easy to do.

We had our yearly meeting and elections today. After speaking to my capt and deputy chief they would like to keep them strobe and try and get a replacement tube or 2 for them.

I might update the strobes completely if i cant get a replacement for them.

I might update the strobes completely if i cant get a replacement for them.

Wow, OK. If the dept. you are with want to do that, you will now have to update the housing and cables...considering the former strobe system was a 2 wire... anything else would require a 3 wire system and some way to mount the strobe tubes.

That is if you cannot find a replacement.

Dan,

I know I have the pig-tail strobes (helix) but I might have a couple of the straight strobe tube lights from the Jet

bars. I will check on Monday and let you know by PM. If we make a deal, I'll throw in a couple of 795 (50 watt) bulbs and

a FA3 flasher so you can have a classic backup ;)

You have to keep the brass happy :lol: :lol:

Pete

These bulbs come in the "U" style OP posted and also (as stated) a helix or curly version (both with the same base). I have only ever seen the helix ones used with a J30.... and only ever seen the U shaped ones used with a j20/22... I'm not sure if they have to be that way or not.

These bulbs come in the "U" style OP posted and also (as stated) a helix or curly version (both with the same base). I have only ever seen the helix ones used with a J30.... and only ever seen the U shaped ones used with a j20/22... I'm not sure if they have to be that way or not.

No John, I have seen a mix of them on both systems. We had a bunch of jets with both J-20's and J-22's and they both sometimes had a mix of the "U" shape and the helix type on the same supply. I have also seen a mix of them on a few streethawks that had the J-30.

So they are interchangeable. I have also took the housing of the strobe bulb apart and ran a regular tube off the supply...but it is NOT advisable, from a safety and liability stand point

Dan,

I found 2 of those little rascals for ya. PM is on the way with pics.

Also,

My J30's can be set to power one bulb or two, depending on where the internal jumper is set.

One bulb gets single flash, two bulbs get alternating single flash.

Anyone know what the set-up is on the J20-22 ???

Pete

jdh said:
No John, I have seen a mix of them on both systems. We had a bunch of jets with both J-20's and J-22's and they both sometimes had a mix of the "U" shape and the helix type on the same supply. I have also seen a mix of them on a few streethawks that had the J-30.

So they are interchangeable.

I'm sure they are interchangable... I wonder what the time frame on their production was though... is the helix style a later verison?

Anyone know what the set-up is on the J20-22 ???

The same set up, same flash patteren, but it is a regular switch countersunk in the housing. You need to used a small screew driver to change it.

is the helix style a later verison?

I think so.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381