Help installing a battery charger/maintainer on 1997 Suburban.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
So I'm needing to install a battery charger/maintainer on the fire dept's suburban, but I'm running into some mounting problems. I've concluded that no matter where I mount it, I'm going to have to fab an extension plug to reach outside of the engine compartment, but I'm at a loss as to where/how to place it. Pictures are below.

The charger is designed to be mounted inside an engine compartment, so I'm not too concerned with heat issues. I was thinking of mounting it on the inner fender next to the battery, since that's the only place I can find that is solid and empty that it will fit and the wires will reach. Only problem then is where and how to run the cord so it is easily accessible from the outside without having the hood open and doesn't look like crap.

Suggestions?

IMG_20111028_100546.jpg

IMG_20111028_100558.jpg

IMG_20111028_100525.jpg

IMG_20111028_100507.jpg

IMG_20111028_100449.jpg

IMG_20111028_100410.jpg

aimperato41

May 28, 2011
NY
There's a short lead on the three-prong side, so if you can fit the unit somewhere up front such as behind the headlight just leave an inch or two coming out of the grill. Then you'll be able to plug in an extension cord there without having to open the hood every time. You may have to extend the battery leads to reach the terminals. It's probably 16 gauge wire and just heat shrink over where the splice is made.

Otherwise if you mount the charger near the battery you'll extend the 3-pin standard plug, that's a bit more of a hassle but basically the same concept, just make sure the new plug is water/oil resistant if it's going to be resting by the front of the vehicle.

Also, not a huge fan of Interstate batteries. If you're doing this bc it keeps dying on you, maybe go with a Duralast gold or Diehard. Just my preference.

Andrew

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
aimperato41 said:
There's a short lead on the three-prong side, so if you can fit the unit somewhere up front such as behind the headlight just leave an inch or two coming out of the grill. Then you'll be able to plug in an extension cord there without having to open the hood every time. You may have to extend the battery leads to reach the terminals. It's probably 16 gauge wire and just heat shrink over where the splice is made.
Otherwise if you mount the charger near the battery you'll extend the 3-pin standard plug, that's a bit more of a hassle but basically the same concept, just make sure the new plug is water/oil resistant if it's going to be resting by the front of the vehicle.

Also, not a huge fan of Interstate batteries. If you're doing this bc it keeps dying on you, maybe go with a Duralast gold or Diehard. Just my preference.

Andrew

Both leads are equally short, so no matter where I put it I'll end up extending something. The unit does produce some heat (I just finished putting these on our engine and our rescue last week,) so I'm wanting to mount it onto metal to help dissipate it some. As far as mounting it close to the grille, there isn't any room to do so inside the engine compartment, and I'd rather not mount it that close to the radiator since this truck idles on scenes for decent amounts of time. Interstate is the department's choice (read, the chief's choice), I don't have any say in it. What the chief likes he gets, so that issue is moot.

I'd like to put the plug as near to the drivers side as possible, since there are times when we go out with just one person. This would make it easier for them to remember to unplug it before driving out. I toyed with the idea of running a wire over to the drivers side of the push bumper and securing it there on the back side of the push bumper where it protruded just enough to be plugged in, but I'm not sure that won't look like crap. I'm working on my own money here (I'm still waiting for the dept to reimburse me for the chargers), so I'm trying to keep costs as close to 0 as possible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.