Help me light my unit

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
I will be putting in for a black 2016 Utility as my next Dept vehicle.  I would like some suggestions as my budget on equipment will be right about $15k, to include radar, new radio, DVM800, Havis G1 mount, and custom truck vault.  I am trying to keep it simple and effective.

Interior:

SOS nForce tri-color on front windshield

SOS 2 head ultra-light rear quarter windows

SOS nForce 8 module rear interior traffic advisor dual color

SOS nErgy light/siren controller**  (I'd really like a 200w controller)

Exterior:

Apollo F6 LP bracket

SOS Dual color under mirror Intersectors

Setina pushbumper w/LED (nforce tri-color)....for white flood feature

Apollo F6 side of pushbumper

Rigid Duallys mounted on push bumper set with flasher

TLF

I'm open to see what others would do and equipment options.  Thanks in advance.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
With this vehicle being a slicktop, I would want something more substantial for warning on the PB than two nForces. I am a big fan of Whelen M6s for grill lights. Super bright and a large footprint make them very effective. I would also prefer Whelen M4s for intersection and LP lights but that's just my preference, the Apollos are fine.

Only other change I would suggest is running a Feniex Cobra 200 in the third windows instead of the Ultralight. It's cheaper and has twice the LEDs. Also, a pair of recess mount Ghosts or Whelen Ions in the bottom of the tailgate so you have warning with the hatch up is a good idea. 

Reactions: Storm4200

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
I forgot to mention this will be more of an admin vehicle not really responding to 911 calls, but will be used for the occassional traffic stops.

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
yep, its assigned to patrol.  all units assigned to patrol and fully marked functioning units.  regular patrolmen and supervisors use tahoes wtih valors.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
What colors do you run...I'm guessing red/blue?

FRONT:

FedSig Spectralux interior R/B lightbar (w/ flood)...I love SOS, but I think the FedSig bar is a superior product

nForce in the Setina (1 R/C, 1 B/C)

HLF

SIDE:

nForce FIT R/B lightheads on each side of PB

SOS intersector R/B under mirror 

SOS XP63 single color in side windows

REAR:

SOS ultralite 8 or 12 in rear window (ie RRAAAABB or RRRRAAAABBBB)

Pair of nForce duos (ie 1 R/A & 1 B/A, or 2 R/B units) on a rear LP

CONTROL/SIREN

SOS 200 watt nergy siren w/ 2 FedSig AS125 speakers mounted beneath the Setina's main crossmember 

My suggestions were very similar to yours but I kept it a bit simpler for a vehicle that is primarily admin (& not on the road 24/7). For example, I think an ultralite stick in the rear window is more than sufficient for your needs (can flash and do TA functions) and is a lot less $ than an nforce duo/trio.  Also, I think the rigid lights are a bit overboard for an admin vehicle. However, if you do want to go with them anyways, I would just get single color nforce forward-facing lights on the Setina b/c they are gonna be completely drowned by the rigid light's output. Another alternative to the rigids at a fraction of the price are the Strobes N More 1400 lumen X and the 1260 series Eflood lights.

With the nforce, I think it'd be pretty cool & effective to sync the lights so that they all flash blue --> all flash red together, but single color nforce would be more than sufficient

TheCrownie

Sep 18, 2014
Ohio, USA & Germany
FRONT:

FedSig Spectralux interior R/B lightbar (w/ flood)...I love SOS, but I think the FedSig bar is a superior product

I believe he meant a tri color dash light. 

However, I would go with an nforce fit as well for sync reason. They also have three colors and cost about $15 more.

I'd put 6 ION's or 6 Duo IONs under the hatch as rear warning is important when doing traffic. They make a bracket for this.

The hatch could look like this.

DUO

R/A R/A R/A   B/A B/A B/A

Single

R A A   A A B

or 

R R A   A B B

And I don't think the Rigid lights are neccessary but that, of course, depends on the purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
-Fedsig ILS SpectraLux DUO

-FedSig SignalMasterCN DUO 8 head on pushbumper w/flood override

-FedSig MicroPulse (2 on the sides of the push bumper. 2 on each running board. 2 on rear license plate. 2 recessed in liftgate)

-FedSig 180° lights under mirrors

-FedSig Latitude SignalMasterCN DUO rear upper windshield. RA RA RA BA BA BA

-HLF

-TLF

All perimiter lights and the entire system synced with a...

-FedSig SmartSiren Platinum 2000

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
For maximum warning power, I would recommend ordering the vehicle with no rear tint applied to the windows. If tint is needed, it can be applied after the lights are installed with the tint cut out around the lights.

Front:

Feniex Apollo full interior lightbar

http://feverinc.net/feniex-apollo-dual-color-interior-light-bar.html

(6) Strobes n More Lions solid color 12 diodes per lighthead (2 on mirrrors  2 in grille  2 in fog light are angled to side for interection 

All lights synched flash red to drivers side then blue to passenger side. 

12 diodes per light head. Refer to video in lllink below

http://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-N-More-Lion-Series-Linear-Dual-Color-LED.html

(1) headlight flasher

Sides:

(2) Feniex Cobra 400 interior use( per side) mounted to rear window headliner ( 1 all 4 lights red/ 1 all 4 light blue) synced with external flasher to the rear lights.

http://feverinc.net/feniex-cobra-400-interior-only.html

(4) Strobes n More Lions interweved red/blue mounted to lower trim under the doors

http://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-N-More-Lion-Series-Linear-Dual-Color-LED.html

Rear:

(2) Feniex Cobra 400 interior use ( 1 all 4 lights red/ 1 all 4 light blue) set to steady burn and synced with other rear lights using external flasher

http://feverinc.net/feniex-cobra-400-interior-only.html

(2) Feniex widelux 6X4 mounted on custom license plate bracket set to steady burn and synced with other rear lights using external flasher

http://feverinc.net/feniex-wide-lux-6x4-surface-mount.html

(2) Feniex Cannon 360's mounted in reverse lights set to steady burn single color then synced with other rear/side lights using external flasher ( all red/ then all blue for larger warning footprint0

http://feverinc.net/feniex-cannon-360-dual-color-hide-a-way.html

Just an estimate of around $2350 plus shipping for warning lights.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
FRONT:

FS just released their new ultra-low-profile front interior lightbar on Friday.  I haven't seen it yet but it's supposed to be better than their current ILS and much thinner.  Still tri-colour capable, including full white front flood if you want it. 

http://www.fedsig.com/pdf/MU597_New_spectraLux_ILS_Low_Profile9-15.pdf

Use a Westin pushbumper.  Much nicer and you won't have to wait 6-8 weeks.  Plus, then you can get 4 lights in the crosstube and install/configure them yourself. 

You could make it look like my 2015 Tahoe's pushbumper if you wanted to (except you'd probably want to use 2 of the same model of siren speaker) :)

demo tahoe grille (2).jpg

Reactions: Storm4200

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
I do like some of the suggestions here and we run red/blue in TX.  I'm not a big fan of FS products as we have had their spectralux ILB, among other FS lightheads, not impressed and many issues.

I prefer to stay with mostly SOS.  I do have a 8 head ultralight in a vehicle and the output is great, but only has red/blue.  I like TA function to be all amber, hence the nForce tri-color rear traffic advisor.

I cannot get lights like from SNM or any off brands, etc.. for a Department ride.   I have to go through our supplier/installer with a PO system.  The purpose of the Rigids would be for a wig-wag in mode 3 and flood mode, combined wiih the nForce ILB, and nForce lightheads in the push bumper.  Additionally we patrol a beach area that is very very dark at night, so the Rigids combined with the other lights will light that up perfectly.  I work in a rural department, so there is lots of darkness.

I just saw my first 2016 in person today as one of the Constables got their in and really digging it.   I'm kind of thinking not getting the push bumper. 

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Does this vehicle have to be a slicktop? A SOS nForce lightbar with the full front flood mode has very impressive output and would be useful in the dark areas you say you patrol. It will also do the rear amber T/A functions. A safe and effective lighting package is much easier and cheaper when it includes a roof mounted lightbar. 

As for the push bumper, I would definitely recommend running one simply as a place to mount lighting. Front facing is more effective and you can take advantage of the off axis of linear optics, and it provides a great place to mount intersection lighting. Siren speakers are also MUCH more effective when mounted externally to a push bumper. 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I do like some of the suggestions here and we run red/blue in TX.  I'm not a big fan of FS products as we have had their spectralux ILB, among other FS lightheads, not impressed and many issues.

I prefer to stay with mostly SOS.  I do have a 8 head ultralight in a vehicle and the output is great, but only has red/blue.  I like TA function to be all amber, hence the nForce tri-color rear traffic advisor.

I cannot get lights like from SNM or any off brands, etc.. for a Department ride.   I have to go through our supplier/installer with a PO system.  The purpose of the Rigids would be for a wig-wag in mode 3 and flood mode, combined wiih the nForce ILB, and nForce lightheads in the push bumper.  Additionally we patrol a beach area that is very very dark at night, so the Rigids combined with the other lights will light that up perfectly.  I work in a rural department, so there is lots of darkness.

I just saw my first 2016 in person today as one of the Constables got their in and really digging it.   I'm kind of thinking not getting the push bumper. 

Gotcha. Just keep in mind that the nforce (while great) are a linear optic and a TIR-type of optic (SOS ultralite, whelen dominator, feniex Apollo) is preferable for rear window applications (esp with the tint)

i think that you should definitely stay with the PB....it gives you many options for mounting forward & intersection warning, flood lighting, & speakers in front of the grill (to avoid any reduction in output).

As for the ILB, I think you should choose a flash pattern where the bar either flashes an entire color at once (ie all red --> all blue,) or alternate sides (ie entire driver's side flash color 1 --> entire passenger side flash color 2) to get max effective footprint

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I'm not a big fan of FS products as we have had their spectralux ILB, among other FS lightheads, not impressed and many issues.

I cannot get lights like from SNM or any off brands, etc.. for a Department ride.   I have to go through our supplier/installer with a PO system. 

Feniex products are made in Austin, TX...that might help convince the powers that be and widen your options.  If your supplier/installer isn't a distributor/dealer for Feniex there are several elsewhere in TX that are also ELB members....My 2 cents.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.