Help On Whelen Liberty (Ballast)

Apr 17, 2014
New Jersey
Hello all, I am looking into building a ballast style Whelen Liberty lightbar. I have a ton of the heads sitting around that I bought in a lot, and I have no way to test them. My question is this: When building the bar, are there other internal components needed besides the ballast power pack and the lightheads themselves? Is there still some kind of I/O board that must be installed? Anyone who has pictures or video of the internals or can describe the internals in detail would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Io board shouldn't matter. The ballast pack takes the 12v and ups it to whatever voltage the heads need. You could use any flasher as long as you have the ballast packs wired in correctly

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
You cannot use the ballast heads on the newer non ballast boards. The current boards deliver 12v to the lightheads. Ballast lightheaded need 18v to operate thus the ballast that boosts the voltage. The ballast bars I have seen use a 9M I/O board that the ballasts plug into...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wilsonbr90

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.