Help/opinions with hideaway issues

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
Hey guys, so here's the background. Installed 4 Cannon 120s in the tail lights of a 2016 explorer. I'm relatively satisfied with the reverse lights but I installed them in the turn signals as well and the light isn't hitting the reflector at all. I'm getting great power straight back but only from the area where the lighthead is installed. So instead of it looking like the lens is filled and giving off light, it almost appears like the light is surface mounted. Therefore while being bright, it just doesn't look proper. Question is, do you guys think I'll benefit from the use of a 360 lighthead? Or maybe even another brand HAW?
Also for the record these are split colored. So 6 LEDs of each color. Single colors have 12 LED, which I'm thinking should be a lot brighter?

Thanks, I'll try to attach some pics to better describe.

IMG_4810.PNG
IMG_4808.PNG

Last edited:

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
The ones we have at my agency are NOVA hide-a-LED and they are in the reverse lights of the 16 explorer. They are super bright from the rear, from a 1/4 angle, and also directly from the side of the vehicle. They really hit everything.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
We tried hide away LED's in our vehicles, we were very disappointed, as a result we went back to strobes.

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
I have put many of these into many of the newer style explorers, I have found the best location is higher in that same light lens... it fills the lens, and hits the reflectors pretty well

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I'm going through a similar issue. I'm about to upfit a 2015 Interceptor and not really sure if I should use the reverse reflector or the turn signal housing and not sure if I should use a 120 or 360. I'm not totally sure which would be more beneficial. I was originally going to run dual color, but after thinking about it, I feel the 12 single color LEDs would be much more effective in the tail and headlight.

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
I'm going to be removing my drl ' s in my Chevy Avalanche and replacing with vertex's. I'm in the same boat as to go with standard or 360 to better fill the housing.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
360's do have better light disbursement, but I dont know if that will help what you are attempting to do

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.