Help pertaining to securing light to rear head liner

dm1208

Jun 17, 2010
Hi I have a Whelen inner edge that I want to install on my rear head liner. I was wondering what the best way to install this light would be. I do not have the proper mounting kit for this and I dont have time to purchase the hardware from whelen. Basically it says to used a molly jack nut to secure the light to the rear head liner. Anyone have any suggestions because I went to home depot and they don't have molly jack nuts.

A "Molly Jack Nut" is a cousin of the rivet nut. Both are fasteners that are designed to be mounted in a hole where the other side is inaccessible. 90% of true custom installs don't involve factory brackets at all so it's either getting a professional up fitter to do it for you or you'd need to put your thinking cap on to make it work. Keep in mind, when mounting anything, mount it as if it weighs 20 times as much so it won't break off and become a projectile in a TC, especially frontal.

You might be lucky if the metal area behind the headliner has holes for you to slip fender washers & nylock or star nuts in them. They are far better than molly / rivet nuts.

ty i appreciate it I was able to find some molly jack nuts which are called Crown Bolt 1/4 In. Mirror Mount Nut Zinc Plated from homedepot. Im going to try those and they should work. The light is not that heavy.

Glad you found them, I know that most lights aren't that heavy but you should treat it and install as if it is 20 times the weight of the light. For instance, if it weighs 5 lbs, mount it as if it weighs 100 lbs because if it comes loose, think of a 100 pound weight flying around in the car in an accident. Minimum.

Make any sense?

ya true but if all else false it will smack into my prisoner partition knock on wood...maybe I should just weld it to the frame =)

dm1208 said:
ya true but if all else false it will smack into my prisoner partition knock on wood...maybe I should just weld it to the frame =)

or, if you are lucky, the prisoner's head will act as a cushion, protecting both the partition and the light from damage!

:twisted:

bpollard said:
or, if you are lucky, the prisoner's head will act as a cushion, protecting both the partition and the light from damage!

:twisted:

Yeah, but who wants to drive around with a prisoner all the time?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381