Help selecting a high-visibility traffic vest

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a traffic vest to keep in my POV as a "just in case" type of deal. My personal one does not need to have any kind of itentifying markings on it (other than my name in sharpie on the tag) but I want to show it to my chief to convince him to replace the one-piece vests we currently use so they may need to be screen-printed in the future.

Must have features:

Full 360* reflective ability

Full breakaway safety features

ANSI/OSHA/NFPA certification/endorsment

"Would be nice" features:

Lapel mic tab on both shoulders

Qualify for purchase with PPE grant funds

Suggestions and links to the vests would be great. I've done some research and read reviews on some vests, but I want to hear everyone's experience with them. Especially wear-ability and durability as the current FD ones spend a lot of time folded on the dashboard in direct/near-direct sunlight. Thanks!

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
I recently did the exact same thing after being the first on scene at an accident, at night, in shitty weather, on a busy road.

I got a screaming deal on a Lakeland Hi-Viz vest on eBay. I won the auction for $7.50 + $6 S&H. They retail for $40-50.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Be aware that the ANSI 207 standard ("public safety vests") requires a much smaller amount of hi-vis material than even the common ANSI 107 Class 2 vest, 450 sq in vs 775 sq in. During the daytime this can make a significant difference in being seen. Unless you absolutely need a shortie vest allowing access to belt equipment like a weapon (which is why the 207 standard was written) you're better off with an ANSI 107 Class 2 breakaway vest that you've optioned with mike tabs, pockets or whatever.

A Class 3 vest by definition means it has sleeves, which can be a pain with heavy winter clothing or turnouts.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I appreciate all the help so far guys! All great information.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
NPS Ranger said:
Be aware that the ANSI 207 standard ("public safety vests") requires a much smaller amount of hi-vis material than even the common ANSI 107 Class 2 vest, 450 sq in vs 775 sq in. During the daytime this can make a significant difference in being seen. Unless you absolutely need a shortie vest allowing access to belt equipment like a weapon (which is why the 207 standard was written) you're better off with an ANSI 107 Class 2 breakaway vest that you've optioned with mike tabs, pockets or whatever.

A Class 3 vest by definition means it has sleeves, which can be a pain with heavy winter clothing or turnouts.

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea the standards were that much less...

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
MEVS06 said:
I know they are on the expensive side but the Blauer one I am wearing right now has two mic tabs

100% agree with the Blauer ones. Mine was sized just right that sometimes I would just wear it over my uniform shirt for my entire 12 hour shift if I was going to be doing a lot of traffic. Hugged me just right, wasn't too long to cover my belt, and durable.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
MEVS06 said:
I know they are on the expensive side but the Blauer one I am wearing right now has two mic tabs

Ben E. said:
100% agree with the Blauer ones. Mine was sized just right that sometimes I would just wear it over my uniform shirt for my entire 12 hour shift if I was going to be doing a lot of traffic. Hugged me just right, wasn't too long to cover my belt, and durable.

Something like this? 343GS ZIP-FRONT VEST W/GLOWSKIN | OUTLET | Safety Vests - Blauer.com

Is the front zipper on that also a break-away fastener?

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Doug said:
It's a zipper.

That's what we're issued - mine says PIO on it, so I rarely wear it (I work under the PIO, but I don't function as one for the department). I wear my uniform jacket when I need ANSI class 2 protection.

Ok. I seem to remember a department having VERY similar vests but the front zipper was sewn onto velcro which was fastened to each front "flap" which I though was a brilliant idea.

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
foxtrot5 said:
Ok. I seem to remember a department having VERY similar vests but the front zipper was sewn onto velcro which was fastened to each front "flap" which I though was a brilliant idea.

Typically, if it's a "5-point" breakaway vest, the zipper tears away like that. At least, my personal vest I keep in the Jeep does. But, meanwhile it's sturdy enough that I would never even think it would pull apart unless I looked at it very carefully (or started to rip it open).

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
i i remember correctly, you can achieve the class 3 rating by using a class2 vest AND turn outs ( provided that the turn outs are reflective)

basicaly the short story is that the "classing" of garments is based on the amount of reflective material and the amount of contrast, as well as the 360* amount of reflective . if the vest is going to be worn w/o turn outs go class 3 , if the sleaves will be a pain with turn outs go with a class 2,

I carry 2 vests in my t/o bag, one is a class 3 thats way over sized for me, that way it fits better with my turn outs , the other is a class3 mesh vest that fits well and breathes for the summer months. it never seems to hurt to have a spare for a buddy too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.