Help with Hands Free H/R option on Cencom Sapphire in FORD INTERCEPTOR

officerdave56

Jul 21, 2012
illinois/chicago suburb
I have been told by our dealer that the Cencom in our new FORD Interceptor's Ready for the Road package is a FORD only product. We are having difficulty in getting the hands free siren function through the horn ring, to operate correctly. Anyone have experience with this specific FORD CenCom Sapphire?

Thanks

Officerdave

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
I was not aware that Whelen made sirens specifically for individual vehicles...I would just reset it to factory configuration, see if that's the issue.

officerdave56

Jul 21, 2012
illinois/chicago suburb
I talked to Whelen tech support and they were crystal clear " we no nothing about the FORD CenCom "

I was able to track down the updated modifiers guide and we are working with it to get H/F to work.

EMT-BLS said:
I was not aware that Whelen made sirens specifically for individual vehicles...I would just reset it to factory configuration, see if that's the issue.

chadlamp

Jun 12, 2010
WV
Officerdave,

I had the same problem with one in a NGPIU. First off, did your CenCom come with all the necessary plugs and connectors? Mine did not, and I eventually found out that Ford does not send everything and there is an upgrade kit you need to purchase from Whelen to get the 8-pin connector and the rest of the wires for the 14-pint connector (you'll need these for the horn ring function).

You have to use a relay as outlined in the CenCom manual. I use 5-pin Bosch-type relays, and they should be wired as follows:

From the 14-pin connector:

YEL (Output 12) -> Relay terminal 86

WHT/YEL (Input 4) -> Relay terminal 87

chassis ground -> Relay terminal 85

horn relay (one side of factory wire under dash) -> Relay terminal 30

horn (other side of factory wire) ->Relay terminal 87A

Once that is done, the steering wheel horn pad should activate the air horn by default; with the siren active, it will cycle through siren tones. If this does not work, try swapping wires between terminals 30 and 87A on the relay.

If that still doesn't work, let me know and I'll see what else I can do to help. If you need that "upgrade" kit for the CenCom, let me know and I'll get you the part number.

Chad

officerdave56

Jul 21, 2012
illinois/chicago suburb
Thanks guys I will pass on the info to our Fleet shop. I have spent time on the phone with both FORD and Whelen and confirmed that the FoMoCo version of the Sapphire, is NOT the same as the one direct from Whelen. The current software version on the Whelen website, 3.2.2, will not work with the FORD version. FORD said that future releases will more closely match the direct Whelen version. Just wish FORD fleet made that more clear when you look at ordering the Ready For The Road.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsuarre

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.