Help with Tomar Scorpion 970L opticom

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
We have the Tomar Scorpion 970L bars on our engines with the built in opticoms. They have 2 small square modules that each have the strobe opticom in them. One of our engines, the opticom is not triggering the traffic lights. Our other trucks are triggering the same traffic lights just fine. Both of the opticom lights are flashing on the bar, but not triggering the traffic lights. Anyone have any knowledge on these bars / opticom and know what I can look at and try to fix / reset them? I did not install these and have no knowledge on the bars themselves. 

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Opticoms are normally larger than a scorpion bar is (height).  Any chance you could post a picture of one of them?

They are pretty self-contained so if they don't work, you probably need to send them back to GTT for repair.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Opticoms are normally larger than a scorpion bar is (height).  Any chance you could post a picture of one of them?

They are pretty self-contained so if they don't work, you probably need to send them back to GTT for repair.

I'll get a pic of it Saturday. They are where the takedown lights would normally be. Two small strobes that kind of ping-pong back and forth. The other engine with the same setup works just fine as well as our ladder. However, the ladder opticom has only one of the strobe bulbs flashing and it is just on a steady, fast strobe pattern. It triggers the lights just fine though. 

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Opticom and similar Tomar products are a steady constant strobe.  If it's not in a steady constant pattern the bulb or supply is not working right.

Jun 26, 2010
Massachusetts
The 2 strobes combined should match the same flash pattern as the ladder except alternating. If you watch closely, it should look like a disco strobe except there should be a noticeable slight intermittent change of the pattern during the cycle. Flash..flash..flash..flash..FLASH..FLASH..flash flash......

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
You may have a bulb going out.  They cannot match the patterns right when they start to fail sometimes.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
ai1021.photobucket.com_albums_af331_Hart10584_1_zpsrtl3uk0f.jpg

That is the part number on the moduel...I believe yall are right. I just took the bar apart and as far as I can see, the opticom module just plugs in. There may have been a strobe pack for it somewhere deeper in the bar but I did not see it. The left side of the opticom module, that bulb kind of flashes slower while the right bulb seems to flash at a faster rate. So, that's more than likely the problem. I've got an email into the company to see how to go about getting it replaced.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It will be a remote supply for sure, the issue is whether that's going bad or the bulb.  The bulb is both cheaper and more likely in this case.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.