Hi Guys, Newb from St. Louis, Mo.

J10Mike

Mar 28, 2012
St. Louis, Mo. USA
Hi Guys,

I have been lurking on this site for maybe 6 months or so. When I found this site, I was so thankful that I wasn't the only person out there fascinated with beacon lights and light bars.

My fascination with the lights began as a little boy. My dad and both grandfathers were police officers in the city of St. Louis. When I was a kid, we lived on a street along with 5 or 6 other coppers. In fact, we used to call it Cop Street. Anyway, my dad had set up a light bar with two old style beacon lights on it in the garage. He would turn it on a Friday or Saturday night to signal the neighborhood cops and other neighbor men that the beer was flowing from his tapper in the garage. And, he would keep the beacon lights on as they would tell their funny cop stories during the evening and late hours.

When I got older, I always wondered where he acquired the lightbar. Both beacon lights were round top. One red, the other blue. At that time in the 70s, no police, fire, and ambulance vehicles in the St. Louis area had blue lights. Only red and some clear lights. Only volunteer firefighters used blue lights. But, I do recall seeing a Federal tag on one of the beacons. The closest example to it that I remember were on a Dodge Ramcharger in that Chuck Norris movie, Lone Wolf McQuade.

Anyway, a couple years ago, I came across an old Code 3 XL lightbar that was going to be thown in the trash. I took it home and after a few days, got it working. But, it's not all that great with yellowed domes and red and blue filters that don't match it. Then, last Summer, I found a Code 3 LP 6000 for real cheap and set it up in my garage. Ya, you guessed it...To signal the neighbor men that beer is flowing in my garage. Nobody has to drive home. So, I figured that it was OK.

But, I'm thinking that collecting light bars and vintage lights could turn into a very cool hobby. It certainly can't be as expensive as my money pit project vehicle.

Anyway, thanks for reading this book. I'll be doing some reading up on what you guys have.

Go Cards...

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
J10Mike said:
It certainly can't be as expensive as my money pit project vehicle.

This statement is false. Just a forewarning. When you are hooked, you are hooked.

Welcome to ELB, better start a separate savings account!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.