HLF users, chime in.

Have you ever had a high beam bulb failure when a headlight flasher was installed?

• Yes I have, and I believe it was due to the HLF.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I have, but I believe it was normal wear and tear and NOT due to the HLF.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No, never.

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I've been having this discussion with a few people and I wanted some input. All manufacturers stipulate that using an HLF decreases the lifespan of the bulb being flashed. My question is, how many of you have had to change out a high beam bulb due to using a headlight flasher?

I've been using HLFs since '93 and in the multiple vehicles I've had since then and the hours of usage I've put on my emergency lighs on each vehicle, I have yet-to-date had to ever change a high beam bulb. I have changed more low beam bulbs than anything, but a high beam bulb, I have never.

For those of you that use HLFs, have you ever had to change out a high beam bulb, and in your opinion,was it due to the HLF or normal wear and tear?

Tony

HCR1990

Jul 29, 2010
Lake Jackson,Texas
In a little over 3 years I have yet to have to change a high beam bulb. When I had a tlf on my truck on the other hand, it went thru backup light bulbs left and right, but never tail/brake.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I've had a high beam go out on a Chevrolet and a Ford, both with dual element bulbs. I simply accepted it as part of life. Of course I also used the high beam override frequently.

Jun 26, 2010
Massachusetts
I would say this would more apply to an installation on a police cruiser or fire truck where it is used a lot. I don't think most POVs will have an issue unless you are running code on a daily basis.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
When I was working up north, "my" ambulance was a 1993 Ford E-350 with a box made by Wheeled Coach. That was pretty much my ambulance, as she was the oldest truck in the fleet and no one else really drove her because they all liked the newer trucks. That unit came from the factory with a HLF and in my 5 years of service with the agency, we only ever replaced the bulbs once. One of them went dead so we just figured hey, let's replace both at the same time. That was about 3 years into my time with the agency and it has now been about 7 years and I believe the headlights have been replaced one additional time. This vehicle ran "hot" for, I'd estimate, an average of 5-7 hours per day. Obviously this is a rough estimate as we all know that call volume can change greatly. I never felt that the HLF was doing any kind of "damage" to the lifespan of the vehicle's high beam lights.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I've had HLFs hooked up to headlights, fog lights, and reverse lights... I've never had a bulb failure while using a HLF.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I have never had a high beam fail on any of the vehicles i have installed a HLF on. I had one dept. call me an try to say the low beam failed because of the HLF, until I went out and showed them the HLF flashed the high beams and not the low beams...

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
See, that's what I thought. I always took the "note" that HLFs reduce the lifespan of the bulb as a way for the companies to get out of having to replace bulbs if customers were to call in and claim bulb failure due to the HLF. I thought that was BS, but now I see some companies over exaggerating those claims to promote their products.

Ten years ago, consumers didn't know much about lights and electronics. They just accepted what was provided to them. Today, everyone is tinkering with lights and the "guts" of bars. Everyone is becoming more techie when it comes to using their creativity and building what they want. That's why the BS doesn't fly anymore; consumers are getting smarter. :yes:

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
The answer theoretically is yes. But I hope you aren't running any $30/bulb Sylvania silverstars or some other high dollar bulb. Realistically a pair of bulbs is less than $20 and can usually be installed in 5 minutes with no tools (in most cars/trucks). So if a bulb lasts 3 years instead of 5, does it really matter? (Those numbers are arbitrary and not based on fact/research). Fact of the matter is hlfs are visually effective. And they run on high beams. So unless you have a dual filament bulb for low and high beams on a single bulb, even if it burns out mid shift you won't have serious issues. If you really care you can throw a spare bulb in the trunk.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Having been a flashing light geek since about 1985, I cannot recall ever seeing a high beam out, even in heavy use (inner city) cruisers. Low beams? All the time. High beams? Never.

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
Yup, I believe though it's more if you have a single bulb for both low and high beams. Changed out 3 one on pass side and 1 on driver side in 2 years, I can not say for certain though that the flasher was the problem but seemed to go out right after several uses.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
car54 said:
Yup, I believe though it's more if you have a single bulb for both low and high beams. Changed out 3 one on pass side and 1 on driver side in 2 years, I can not say for certain though that the flasher was the problem but seemed to go out right after several uses.

Its a possibility I suppose. On that vehicle with the single bulbs, when you flip on the brights or if it has it, flip the "flash to pass" (momentary high beam) does it turn off your low beam or does the car keep both filaments powered? I suspect the car uses a relay to turn off the low beam when powering the high beam. And if this is the case, a hlf bypasses this relay and is probably lighting up both filaments and overheating the bulb and bye bye it goes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmoore77

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.