Holsters

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
For the cops, what holster do you use/ wish you could use?

I just went from a Safariland 295 to SERPA level 3. Both are very quick draw, but was always scared the 295 would let someone get my gun too easy if we were fighting sue to the front rocking motion (don't feel like that's a big secret/ op sec since it's on Safariland's website). I wish I had an ALS, but am just glad to have a holster I'm confident in.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I used to have a Safariland 070. Then we switched to Sig 226's, and the Safariland Raptor series came out. Similar draw, easy to switch to. Love it. Only other holster I would consider are the ALS series due to the automatic retention. The Serpas look ok, but still not sure about duty use. With the dramatic increase in weapon lights, manufacturers need to spend time building holsters that can retain weapons with or without the light, and are level 3.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
You're right about weapon lights. I would love to see a modular holster that would let you change out the rear/bottom so you can go from a standard holster to a light bearing one (with different types of lights).

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
I have the Blackhawk Serpa and love it. Mine is the Level 2 with the plain black finish. Bought it as a suggestion from a fellow deputy and did not regret it. Have suggested it to about 6 or 7 new deputies and they all feel the same. Had a problem about a year after I first got it where some screws came out and I emailed Blackhawk about purchasing some replacements. They sent me a whole new set of parts for it, free of charge.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.blackhawk.com//CatalogImages/18-1145-IMG9.jpeg

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
So, I guess saying "I use the 295" wouldn't be any input... :? At my previous agency, we used the 070, which I thought was a great idea and liked until I used the 295. Came to understand why so many officers had problems manipulating them there, there were too many functions to get the gun out. About the max that can be comprehended under stress is 2 steps. Any more than that, you're screwed.

Is the 295 as secure, no. But, I know I won't have problems getting it out if needed. ;)

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
We issue the 295, but I got permission to use an ALS with the hood instead. Primary reason was as mentioned above, lack of security - too easy to chop & snatch from the front. The ALS might be slightly slower, but its a lot more secure and with practice it comes out just fine - build the muscle memory and its good to go.

Second reason was I wanted a mounted light on the pistol, and couldn't do that with a 295.

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
I now carry the Safariland 6320 ALS with the tac light and is by far one of the most easy to use and comfortable holsters I've ever had and I've used a lot of holsters because I'm an equipment junky two. I had used the 295 for many years and love it but wanted an ALS system after my last department issued the 6360. I did not like the hood so ordered the 6320. I have lost my weapon once in a fight (worst feeling ever) and I was carrying the Biachi Luminator holster with just a thumb break. the suspect was pulling on my vest and we went to he ground and the edge of my vest undone the thumb break causing the weapon to come out when we were rolling around.

LED138

May 31, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
I use a Safariland SLS 6280 Level 3 holster for my 226 with taclight mounted on the frame. Its a nice holster allowing for easy draw and pretty secure. I used to have it belt mounted but had to switch to a drop-leg attachment since I was issued a Dodge. The holster made me sit awkward in the Charger and caused back pains. I'll tell ya though, I love the drop leg holster and wouldnt go back! Its so much easier to draw from it with long arms.

-Steve

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
I also use the Serpa Level 3, with the light module on it. It's kinda bulky, but I feel like I can draw much faster with it than I could with my old level 2 thumb-break holster. My only complaint is they need to make a mid-ride belt attachment. It comes with the low ride, which is the most comfortable to draw from, and a high ride that I just plain hated. I wear the low ride, but depending on what type of vehicle I'm driving, the holster sits down so low that it pushes into the bottom of the seat. If they made a mid-ride I think it would raise it just enough to keep it from jamming in the seat, but leave it comfortably low for drawing.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
If you think that someone could get your gun from you too easily, that isn't a holster problem, that's a training issue. There is no empirical research that shows that a retention holster reduces the probability of being shot with your own gun. On the other hand, anyone who has run cops through qualifications can tell you case after case of cops not being able to efficiently draw the gun, particularly when stress is applied.. If you are willing to put in hundreds of reps with the rig so that drawing the pistol is second nature, great, but the average cop won't, and the middle of a gunfight isn't the place to learn. The reps put into learning a particular holster go out the window as soon as the agency or you decide to change to the latest and greatest, whereas the same reps put into weapons retention techniques work anytime, anywhere, with anything. It also carries over to your off-duty rig.

For the record, when in uniform I wear a simple Gould and Goodrich Border Patrol style holster with a simple thumb break. My plainclothes and off duty rigs are open-topped.

The SERPA mechanism has to be kept super-clean, particularly in dusty, sandy environments, as any grit in the "lock" can effectively lock up the holster. This was learned the hard way, and you can guess where. There have also been a number of negligent discharges in which guys put pressure on the release with their trigger finger and maintained that pressure as the pistol was being drawn, end result being the trigger finger whacking into the trigger as the gun clears the holster.

zsiya

May 22, 2010
AL
Safariland Level 1 Hi ride. Wore Level 2 for a bit, but sat too low on my belt. Maybe I'm just old school.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
Stendec said:
If you think that someone could get your gun from you too easily, that isn't a holster problem, that's a training issue.

Not necessarily true in all aspects. Yes, being well trained is key in not letting someone get within striking distance BUT getting into an unexpected fight/brawl is not a training matter. I use the 295, and as stated its no secret how to get a gun out of it and most people with an interest to do so have practiced. Ive seen in person and perps who've made videos of "chopping" the gun out of the holster in less than a second. While fighting on the ground, (when most weapons seem to be taken) I guess more stages would be better even tho nothing will fully prevent it. Yet everything comes with a trade off.....

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
Clip draw.

Awesome duty holster, super easy for ANYONE to use and allows quick access to your firearm (by ANYONE). Allows lots of dirt and grime to get to your Glock, because Glocks are torture tested tanks and will always shoot..no matter what. Even if there isn't a bullet in it, it will still fire. And by the nature of the Clipdraw design, it allows your gun to quickly acquire scratches and scuffs, which just go towards developing the personality of the gun and show it to be a true "duty" weapon that has seen countless combat and tactical scenarios.

Seriously though, I use a 6280, but thinking it's time for an upgrade. Will not use a Blackhawk, until they realize there are more weapon lights out there besides their own Xiphos light (which isn't that great). I like the Safariland ALS models.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Pimp said:
I have the Blackhawk Serpa and love it. Mine is the Level 2 with the plain black finish. Bought it as a suggestion from a fellow deputy and did not regret it. Have suggested it to about 6 or 7 new deputies and they all feel the same. Had a problem about a year after I first got it where some screws came out and I emailed Blackhawk about purchasing some replacements. They sent me a whole new set of parts for it, free of charge.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.blackhawk.com//CatalogImages/18-1145-IMG9.jpeg

I also use the Blackhawk. An awesome holster that's served me well for over 2 years now.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I just switched out my SERPA level 3 for an ALS with a low ride attachment. The SERPA actually hurt my hip when I walked around. It was a little quicker on the draw, but the Safariland feels like it's better made.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
sbparkcop said:
I also use the Blackhawk. An awesome holster that's served me well for over 2 years now.

This is what our entire department carrys the Blackhawk serpa level 2 and yeah i had the same problem they screws fell off one day but i check it every day before i go on shift now. My only concern is that my gun and also my fellow officers guns kinda jiggle in the holster makes me feel kinda iffy on using it. And i dont like that all it takes is one button to take my gun away. But all in all i still like it

rtech

Feb 2, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Can I reply?

I carry a 6280 Safariland with TLR-1 for duty. I also use a 6378 with TLR-1 with paddle/or belt slide (it has an ALS) for non-uniform use/training and I use 5187 with TLR-1 paddle for off duty use.

I've used a few Blackhawks for non-duty and while it's an okay system, I'm not happy with the belt attachment and I've broken three paddles when using them over time. I don't like the fact they won't offer a weapon-mounted light other than their own overpriced limited design. So, I no longer use their product. I also wish they would harden up the paddle. I did myself with Chicago screws and metal fab work. I still stopped using them.

In 25 years of carrying a firearm, I've used nearly everything you can think of, from a rubberband wrapped around the grip-no holster to the finest Galco rigs they offer and everything in between. I remember ordering a Blade-Tech and it took a month to ship in the mid 90's. I also make my own kydex holsters and have several coworkers who carry in them every day in plain clothes. I stopped making holster due to time constraints for my job.

Safariland makes some of the best holsters I've used. I also had the pleasure to meet Bill Rogers at SHOT this year.

They have come a long way in offering different ride height hangers and mounting systems. Stout hangers are important to me for duty use as I've seen the aftermath of a dirtbag peeling the holster off an officer by grabbing on the holster and laying down, effectively peeling it off his belt. It happened really quick and caught the officer off guard (he survived, didn't get shot and the perp went to jail).

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
I use a Safariland 6280 for my S&W 6906. There aren't many options that aren't just a single or double retention available for that gun since its so old. I put an add-on from Safariland on it and upped it to triple retention as I just didn't feel safe on foot or at the bar scene on post with just the hood. If it has ALS I'd love it, but there is none available for my gun.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Serpa level 3 all the way. I only wish I had one 25 years ago. My tests of a holster always involved asking other cops to try and disarm me. (gun unloaded of course) If they couldn't figure it out quickly, it's was a winner. (who should know holster tricks better than street cops?)

Serpa holsters are also extremely easy to transition to. I went from a Safariland Raptor to the Serpa with very little effort, and the Serpa is much faster and more smooth.

And ultimately, retention is a training issue. The "bells and whistles" add to security, but the user still needs to have it together.

I always liked higher retention holsters not because of my conscious ability to secure my weapon, but because they would make it harder for a bad guy to get my gun if I were to be rendered unconscious.

I did get my "bell rung" one time and almost passed out, and if I had blacked out with no retention, I would probably have ended up dead.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
As much as I loved my SERPA, the low ride of it hurt my hip, so I switched to a Safariland 6360 (I believe... the one with the ALS) and loved it. Even bought a second one so I could carry a light on my weapon. I started with a new department last week and they issued me a level 3 Uncle Mikes. It's ok, but is taking a little getting used to. I am not carrying my light bearing holster since it is basket weave and the new place issues plain leather.

If I had it to do all over again, when in the academy I would have asked to use one of the school provided level 1 or 2 Uncle Mikes instead of using my level 4 Raptor that I had just been given (I went through a lot of holsters before finding one I liked, felt confident/ comfortable using, and was quick). I think I would have practiced a little harder and relied less on the holster.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.