84.5 KB · Views: 92
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
If this was a "what-the-heck" project, I'd say it would be pretty cool. I remember an old videoclip where a police car's can lights were made out of plain old tomato paste cans and the illusion was hardly noticeable at first. I'd dare say this "beacon ray" is creative, as long as you don't pretend it's the real deal.

Reactions: SBFD-E-9

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
This makes me think of the knockoff Beacon Rays that someone was manufacturing and selling on eBay several years ago. I forget the details- does anyone else remember what I'm referring to?

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Wow, just wow...

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
You know, it was sometime last century when I was a boy, that absent of having a REAL one, I might have built something like that! A few years back, my "shop boy" actually took a bunch of parts that were laying around my shop and built a couple of units, not to dis-similar! Franken-steined, knock-off model 16's! One sold to a guy restoring an old snow-plow Jeep. He wanted the look but didn't want to spend the money on an actual Model 15 or 16. I don't remember where the other one went. He was happy, it looked period specific and only a keen eye would be able to spot the different guts!

So, I guess, playing the devil's advocate here, you build what you need with what you have. If you don't have much, you can't build much and the rest of us can't expect much! You have to give this guy SOME credit for that much ingenuity. Hell, from the road, it could fool ANY of us. Shit, It actually looks good on that old sedan! For what it is-it's crap. For what it appears to be-God Bless him! Now, If some idiot gives him a million dollars for it on fleabay, "F" the rest of us :confused:. He's right, the old version "17" dome is still worth something...

Attachments

• old stuff 029.JPG
    old stuff 029.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: dmathieu

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.