Homemade Arrowboard project

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL
Ok... So I could not convince our District Board to purchase a surplus trailer mounted directional board from the state. Bummer... So here was out alternate plan.... kinda.....

We run 10 miles of interstate outside of St. Louis and 40 miles of 2 lane state highway, so we see alot of heavier traffic.

Our minimal response to an interstate call is our engine (2000 ALF) or engine-tanker (2009 ALF), Heavy Rescue (1989 FMC), and a Tanker for blocking (85 FMC). All of our trucks are equipped with a standard sized arrowstick. Our tanker sits about a mile or so pre-scene to slow traffic and move them to the other lane. The truck is equipped with a twinsonic in red on the cab and 2 smaller strobes high mounted above the tailboard, with the arrow 2 feet lower.

We were talking about utilizing our utility pickup for blocking or assisting in it. Here is what we were "thinking" for making an arrowboard....

using a 6'x4' plexiglass board for weight.

Place 12-14 amber par36 leds in an arrow design on the board. <-->

They like the solid arrow, not the proggresive building one. My thought was to take a flasher and make the whole board flash at once (both arrows). Use a toggle switch and be able to shut off either arrow.

Place 1 switch near the angled lights on each side, inline with the center lights. Flip one switch and it kills that side so the angled is off. That should cause the center (shaft) lights and the other end angled lights to still flash and such. If we would leave both switches on, it would split traffic around the truck.

We thought about placing 2 flush mount leds (pimp pods) at the top corners in red and blue for warning.

The board would be transported to the scene in the bed of the truck. Set up on location by placing the legs of the board in the stake pockets of the truck bed. Use the trailer/haul plug to supply the power.

This was just a bunch of us sitting around after a call doing a lil brainstorming. We have had several close calls and the state highway dept. takes up to an hour to arrive sometimes.

Thoughts? Opinions? ideas? Clear as mud, guys??

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I have made quick installl arrow boards before , the best way would be to use the trailer hitch on the truck that would be alot better than the stake pockets,

have you tried to get one donated? I bet the state highway dept would be willing to cut loose with something old that they have laying arround....

the cost of the leds for your project are going to drive up the cost quite a bit, another thing to think about is that you will want to install the "hoods" over the lights to prevent wash out. I have seen some arrowboards that were converted to leds with truck light round trailer lights, they were ok but honestly the standard incandecent par 36 bulbs looked about the same.

dcarrfire45

Feb 4, 2012
stafford ct
if you were to use the trailer plug, with a small amount of thinking in your wiring you could just use the four wire plug and use your signal light switch to control the board. right signal does right arrow, left does left arrow, 4way/hazzard does split arrow

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL
Shawn L said:
I have made quick installl arrow boards before , the best way would be to use the trailer hitch on the truck that would be alot better than the stake pockets

Didnt think of that. We may try that instead.

have you tried to get one donated? I bet the state highway dept would be willing to cut loose with something old that they have laying arround....

Not gonna happen in the state of ILL-inois

the cost of the leds for your project are going to drive up the cost quite a bit, another thing to think about is that you will want to install the "hoods" over the lights to prevent wash out. I have seen some arrowboards that were converted to leds with truck light round trailer lights, they were ok but honestly the standard incandecent par 36 bulbs looked about the same.

We have a bunch of amber led pars that came off the rear of a local garbage companies trucks. They were their rear warning. I believe they are Grote brand. They have a steady burn mode in them I want to try to use. Otherwise it will be incandecents instead.

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL
dcarrfire45 said:
if you were to use the trailer plug, with a small amount of thinking in your wiring you could just use the four wire plug and use your signal light switch to control the board. right signal does right arrow, left does left arrow, 4way/hazzard does split arrow

Good call... Gonna think about that one. Like I said earlier, this was just a bunch of us sitting around, trying to come up with solutions.

dcarrfire45

Feb 4, 2012
stafford ct
gfpd26 said:
Good call... Gonna think about that one. Like I said earlier, this was just a bunch of us sitting around, trying to come up with solutions.

been there done that. the only trick to it would be the center portion. it could back feed to the opposite arrow unless you threw a diode in line. maybe right power into the right arrow-diode-center, and then left powerinto left arrow-diode-center. could actually be kind of simple i guess. does the truck have a back rack on it or anything? maybr perm mount the board to that. or as said with the trailer hitch, 2x2 square tubing, come out enough to clear the bumper, 90 degree turn then up the height you need. could become bulky though depending on manpower avail to mount it on scene.

dcarrfire45

Feb 4, 2012
stafford ct
gfpd26 said:

been there done that. the only trick to it would be the center portion. it could back feed to the opposite arrow unless you threw a diode in line. maybe right power into the right arrow-diode-center, and then left powerinto left arrow-diode-center. could actually be kind of simple i guess. does the truck have a back rack on it or anything? maybr perm mount the board to that. or as said with the trailer hitch, 2x2 square tubing, come out enough to clear the bumper, 90 degree turn then up the height you need. could become bulky though depending on manpower avail to mount it on scene.

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL
dcarrfire45 said:

No back-rack. Just basically a plain old ford quad cab truck. nothing special about it. Its our training truck and equipment hauler after large calls. We thought about the bulky part. Thats why we thought about using the stake bed holes.

Alovebaby41

May 23, 2010
Texas
Whelen makes the full size arrow boards, in both 500 series linear and 600 led panels. They have a large footprint but also a decent price tag. But could save you some head aces in the end.

DJIceman97

Dec 22, 2012
Northeast Kentucky
Maybe go around and see if any traffic control companies have an arrowboard they're selling. My old job used them all the time, not sure if they ever had a need to get rid of them. They didn't take very long to set up, and ran off it's own 12v battery.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
25CK117

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.