Hoping someone can help

Scott Richard

May 18, 2017
Greene County NY
Originally when my 1957 maxim ladder truck was delivered the only siren it had on it was a Q. Over time from info I’ve gathered the department added an electronic siren and while going over the engine compartment I came across this “mount” I believe it would be for a siren speaker, can anyone recommend or guess what kind of speaker this would of held?

Attachments

• IMG_1149.jpeg
    IMG_1149.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 30

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It could be a lot of different models even with the dimensions. The timeframe in which it was installed would narrow it down more. Was the diren 58w? There were speakers from the siren makers and some from public address companies. Sometimes the speaker would just have a Federal plate over the name of the speaker company.

Scott Richard

May 18, 2017
Greene County NY
Can you tell us the inside width of the bracket, please?
The measurement is 7 1/4 inches
It could be a lot of different models even with the dimensions. The timeframe in which it was installed would narrow it down more. Was the diren 58w? There were speakers from the siren makers and some from public address companies. Sometimes the speaker would just have a Federal plate over the name of the speaker company.
sadly I don’t know the exact time frame in which the siren was added. The truck is a 57

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
That looks like an awfully robust bracket to just hold a speaker, plus the open mounting slots almost look like mounting for some type of rod or axle. Are you sure it's for a speaker?

With the enormous external mounting options for sirens and/or speakers on a Maxim, I would be surprised to see a speaker mounted under the hood, even if the hard suction hose was wrapped across the nose (ala Louisville Fire Dept.). Perhaps an exhaust whistle occupied that space (even though it’s on the intake manifold side). It was a popular option in that era. It would be helpful to see more photos of the engine compartment.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
With the enormous external mounting options for sirens and/or speakers on a Maxim, I would be surprised to see a speaker mounted under the hood, even if the hard suction hose was wrapped across the nose (ala Louisville Fire Dept.). Perhaps an exhaust whistle occupied that space (even though it’s on the intake manifold side). It was a popular option in that era. It would be helpful to see more photos of the engine compartment.
That's a great point, it may not even be a speaker mount. There certainly would be better spots for one. An exhaust whistle may make sense or it could be some entirely different component altogether. Like others said, we need context. Era of siren, bumper "holes" (and other possible mounts), and wiring or lack thereof. This is a pretty generic "U" bracket, it could really be anything and there are such better places of an electronic siren speaker, unless they considered it an eyesore and were trying to hide a gigantic "PA style" speaker.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng
I had another thought. As @NPS Ranger said, it’s very robust and a very good custom fabrication to mount on the alternator bracket bolted to the engine block. Another possibility is a brake booster as I believe a 57 may have been hydraulic assist instead of air. (Schnikey! That would have been a hoot to drive!) Here’s a link to Cape Cod FD where they feature Maxim equipment of the area, and might have more references for you to explore.

Reactions: stansdds

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
If you want your truck to be in original condition, I wouldn't worry about putting an electronic siren on it. A mechanical Q siren is perfect for a 1950s vintage fire engine.

Scott Richard

May 18, 2017
Greene County NY
Thank you for your help

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.