How much can a 537 flasher handle?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Hey all,

I have an AeroDynic 24EAH with steady burn up front, flasher to the back.

Can the 537 thermal flasher handle BOTH front and rear PARs if I'd like to hook them up together?

Thanks

Toon

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
In the past, I often used a 537 can flasher as a wig-wag in a four-bulb headlamp system with great results. That's a the high beam filament of the 2A1 low-beam bulb plus the single filament of the 1A1 high-beam bulb per side. If memory serves, that's 35 watts plus 50 watts, for a total of 85 watts per side.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
Because the 537 is a thermal flasher, increased load may alter the flash rate, and if sufficient current doesn't go to the bulbs, then the filaments in the lamps may be affected and burn out prematurely. In inspecting ambulances, I saw several vehicles where jury-rigged 537 flashers were used to try to replace either a motor-driven flasher or something like a Kay-Lab Model 10-040 flasher trying to drive eight or nine sealed beam lights. That didn't work too well. However, the thermal flashers are more widely available and cost less.

If the bulbs don't come to full brightness, or the flash rate slows considerably, you are probably exceeding the capacity for the flasher.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Have you considered a Tridon electro-mechanical flasher? It was/is a great replacement for the 537, fairly cheap and you get a consistent 90 fpm rate and audible clicking.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Thanks for the answers so far, everyone.

I don't want to load the flasher that much. I want to hook up four(4) 4414 sealed beams of 18 watts. 2 on each "side" of the flasher, so about 3 amps per flash.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
toon80 said:
Thanks for the answers so far, everyone.
I don't want to load the flasher that much. I want to hook up four(4) 4414 sealed beams of 18 watts. 2 on each "side" of the flasher, so about 3 amps per flash.

That was the standard NYPD configuration, 4 flashing 2/2 alternately. The one above my desk can run all day that way on a 537 flasher. :thumbsup:

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
NPS Ranger said:
That was the standard NYPD configuration, 4 flashing 2/2 alternately. The one above my desk can run all day that way on a 537 flasher. :thumbsup:

Good thing then, because it will indeed go in a NYPD AeroDynic :)

Thanks all for the inputs!

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
NPS Ranger said:
That was the standard NYPD configuration, 4 flashing 2/2 alternately...

That's because it did things on the cheap. Every time I was assigned to a new "steady" RMP I would change out the lightbar's 537 flasher with a Tridon flasher, I couldn't stand the un-even flash rate.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.