How to become a Whelen emergency lighting distributer

Tiller245

Jun 29, 2012
Chester County,PA
I hooked up with a couple members...thanks a bunch...o and one more thing got my business name and everything up and going...the name is Stat Emergency Equipment if anybody is interested

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
JohnMarcson said:
If you have to ask, you can't afford it or aren't ready. At this point in the game you basically need loads of industry contacts and be already established as a seller of a minor brand or other specific service.

Sorry John, I disagree with your response. Isnt this why you created this forum? To ask questions of the more experienced and well versed folks? Maybe he has the capital to invest in this venture or can come up with it.

Tiller245

Jun 29, 2012
Chester County,PA
So sorry if in the wrong section and i know i posted something similar awhile back but this time im going forward with it. I want to try to get my small undercover odds and ends business going. want to deal for Feniex since they seem to be easy to hook-up with so anything is greatly helpful...just an FYI thing this is going to be a part tim on the side thing...might get into instals with the help of a friend or two of mine. so again anything is helpful

Last edited by a moderator:

bkn74

Sep 7, 2010
metropolis IL
I would be more than happy to help you out with Feniex, Vertex standard, SOS, Havis, Axixtech, etc. PM sent with details.

Thanks

Bobby

Tiller245

Jun 29, 2012
Chester County,PA
bkn74 said:
I would be more than happy to help you out with Feniex, Vertex standard, SOS, Havis, Axixtech, etc. PM sent with details.
Thanks

Bobby

pm replyed

Nov 7, 2011
New England
tip: get rid of the stupid "whelen rocks" phrase in your signature.... whelen is good...not as good as it seems you think it is!

Create a mission statement for yourself from the get go: Why am I doing this? what sets you apart from the next guy who just wants to sell blinkies?

Then register your business with your state and meet with a business and tax avisor/consultant, set up a business bank account, make a website, get business emails, market your products and services and build a loyal customer base.

Feniex is becoming much more difficult to "hook up with" as they grow exponentially.

I would be skeptical of your "install service" when you say

.might get into instals with the help of a friend or two of mine.
Don't half ass this part of the business. People will depend on your work. LEarn from a professional or get your EVT cert.

Tiller245

Jun 29, 2012
Chester County,PA
jcpse said:
tip: get rid of the stupid "whelen rocks" phrase in your signature.... whelen is good...not as good as it seems you think it is!

Create a mission statement for yourself from the get go: Why am I doing this? what sets you apart from the next guy who just wants to sell blinkies?

Then register your business with your state and meet with a business and tax avisor/consultant, set up a business bank account, make a website, get business emails, market your products and services and build a loyal customer base.

Feniex is becoming much more difficult to "hook up with" as they grow exponentially.

I would be skeptical of your "install service" when you say Don't half ass this part of the business. People will depend on your work. LEarn from a professional or get your EVT cert.

ok thanks for the info....im just easing into the install idea...my 2 friends are professional installers so thats what i meant by that should clarify more

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Tiller245 said:
ok thanks for the info....im just easing into the install idea...my 2 friends are professional installers so thats what i meant by that should clarify more

That helps. lots of liability. I would do sales for a little while and build some retained earnings and clients so you can purchase insurance before you start installing... my .02

bkn74

Sep 7, 2010
metropolis IL
Insurance is a must with all the new "crap" on cars these days. I carry a 2 million dollar policy for upfitting. Wouldnt recommend going any lower. Being small insurance should only run you 100-250 a month

Tiller245

Jun 29, 2012
Chester County,PA
Ya I mean just an idea that I'm juggling around my problem is just getting the word around...I'm all for but might have to go to the back burner because I have proritys like classes and stuff That I have to take care of first but with time comes reality right

bkn74

Sep 7, 2010
metropolis IL
I work ft leo, have a family, and still find time to upfit vehicles. Wish i could find time to sleep. Lol

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
bkn74 said:
I work ft leo, have a family, and still find time to upfit vehicles. Wish i could find time to sleep. Lol

yup... throw in the extra K-9 training and I literally work a 100 hours a week EASY. But I love everything I do. I get great enjoyment out of everything I do. I truly love helping others in public safety as much as I love working in public safety.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
PJH said:
911 is just showing their typical NYC ass attitude, and I'll leave it at that.

Back years ago, to maintain a certain level of dealer/master at Whelen was about 10k worth of products a month/quarter? from the factory. Remember, this is at their cost, not retail/resale.

I will agree that the install/resale industry has grown up quite a bit over the last 10 years ago. It focuses more on service/install or known as "VARs" Value Added resellers. The product lines are diverse and may include radios, consoles, antennas, push bumpers, plow packages, etc etc.

The days of being able to do fleet installs in your garage or "JUST" doing lightbars and wigwags (and make a living off of it) is pretty much done.

I will say that it can be geographical thing, but many departments these days want a one-stop shop. Where I am stationed now, I could open up a place and prob do ok as the local/regional company is an ass (at least their sales force is). But, even with all my east coast connections, I know I won't want to open up a place out there.

I am not discouraging your, but you need to know your market, what you can layout in personal cash or a b

usiness loan, liability insurance, equipment, supplies, test equipment, vehicle manuals, dealer commitment costs, supply, competitive pricing and if you can put food on the table with it. Starting out you need to make this a full time commitment or be able to resonably commit to this venture. The customer does not want to hear that his out of service 40k+ vehicle is stitting in your garage because you had to work some overtime at your full time job.

Best post of this thread. The OP and many others that replied should read everything in this post (except the first line) over and over until it becomes clear...do your homework, dot your "i's" and cross your "t's" and look both ways before crossing the street to open a business in this industry.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.