How to factory reset?

Abrost

Aug 14, 2022
South Dakota
Hello! I am working on reprogramming a Wecan Core X with a 21 and slide WCX in a patrol vehicle. I was using the Command Core program from the Whelen website, and connected to the controller without issues. I extracted the previous config without issues and loaded a new program to the controller and got a successful message. I then tested the controller and got zero functionality out of it. I then realized I programmed it for a 21 and slide controller, not a 21 and slide WCX.

I went back, fixed the program in the Command Core software, but now I cannot get the controller to connect to a computer at all. It comes back and says "USB device not recognized" on three laptops. I've reinstalled all drivers on the computers, the Core program, everything for basic troubleshooting.

I am at the stage where I want to attempt doing a factory reset on the controller to see if it will then recognize on the computer, but I cannot find any information on how to hard reset my controller modules.

Any assistance with this, or a fix to the problem would be helpful!

Also, if I unplug the control head, the status light is a solid green but it will not connect. If I have the control head plugged in, it is a solid cyan (I think?) with a blinking blue light. But in either case, it has zero function and will not connect to any computer.

Thanks!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Hello! I am working on reprogramming a Wecan Core X with a 21 and slide WCX in a patrol vehicle. I was using the Command Core program from the Whelen website, and connected to the controller without issues. I extracted the previous config without issues and loaded a new program to the controller and got a successful message. I then tested the controller and got zero functionality out of it. I then realized I programmed it for a 21 and slide controller, not a 21 and slide WCX.

I went back, fixed the program in the Command Core software, but now I cannot get the controller to connect to a computer at all. It comes back and says "USB device not recognized" on three laptops. I've reinstalled all drivers on the computers, the Core program, everything for basic troubleshooting.

I am at the stage where I want to attempt doing a factory reset on the controller to see if it will then recognize on the computer, but I cannot find any information on how to hard reset my controller modules.

Any assistance with this, or a fix to the problem would be helpful!

Also, if I unplug the control head, the status light is a solid green but it will not connect. If I have the control head plugged in, it is a solid cyan (I think?) with a blinking blue light. But in either case, it has zero function and will not connect to any computer.

Thanks!

There should be a "safe mode" under the option that looks like a gear in the computer program. That may help. Also I believe this model has a micro SD card. You could remove it and format it as as a last resort. Before that call Whelen tech support on Monday. There is a reset procedure that is above using computer control, I do not remember the sequence and it's not in the manual.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
That seems like a really strange problem. Ive done many of these, and never encountered that. Have you tried plugging your computer in with the power removed from the Core?

Your best bet would be calling tech support. If you cannot wait, you can remove the screws on the bottom of the core, and inside, you will find the sd card. Format the SD card. That should fix your issue.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
That seems like a really strange problem. Ive done many of these, and never encountered that. Have you tried plugging your computer in with the power removed from the Core?

Your best bet would be calling tech support. If you cannot wait, you can remove the screws on the bottom of the core, and inside, you will find the sd card. Format the SD card. That should fix your issue.
Also, by “fixing” the program, did you use the same program, and just change the control head?

The control head is one of the only things that you really don’t want to change on an existing program. There are too many preset programs attached to the control head. I strongly recommend writing a new program with the correct equipment.

Abrost

Aug 14, 2022
South Dakota
There should be a "safe mode" under the option that looks like a gear in the computer program. That may help. Also I believe this model has a micro SD card. You could remove it and format it as as a last resort. Before that call Whelen tech support on Monday. There is a reset procedure that is above using computer control, I do not remember the sequence and it's not in the manual.
I can't get the core to even connect to a computer. It just won't recognize the device.

As for the sd card, I've tried to get to the sd card, but I can't access the screws to pull the cover without removing the center stack from my vehicle as the original upfitted put it under everything including the shifter.

Any remaining fallback plans before I have to pay an upfitter? Haha

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I can't get the core to even connect to a computer. It just won't recognize the device.

As for the sd card, I've tried to get to the sd card, but I can't access the screws to pull the cover without removing the center stack from my vehicle as the original upfitted put it under everything including the shifter.

Any remaining fallback plans before I have to pay an upfitter? Haha
Call Whelen tech support tomorrow. There may be a reset procedure.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Did you get this solved?

My suggestion is disconnect the WCX connector, disconnect the usb, and pull the main power from the Core. Reapply power and reconnect USB and WCX connector. If you power cycle the Core with the USB connected it does not actually power cycle logic boards in the Core. Make sure you also try other USB ports on your computer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.