How To/Help: Two Whelen TIR3 for Custom Display >>PHOTOS ADDED<<

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
I have two Whelen TIR3's (one red and one blue). I have a piece of sheet metal cut out in the shape of Louisiana that will have some local fire department content added to it... this is being built for display purposes for local gatherings. To make the display "POP" I wanted to add some lights to it. The problem comes down to power source. What size battery should I use to power these two small lightheads? I would like the battery to be fixed to the back of the sheet metal to make it easy to move around without having wires everywhere. A hobby box should be plenty of room to add a switch, small fuse, etc. What is your thought about this tiny install?

eBay Avenger 2.jpg

LASheetMetal1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I think a small motorcycle battery would be more than enough. That or just a small, low-amp power supply. The PS would be good for an area you could plug it in, but the small battery would be more than enough to make it portable.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Since brightness isn't required these can be ran on as little as 4.5v. Get a 9v battery clip and a few batteries. Probably get at least 3 hours on one battery.

Edit:

Is this going to be stationary or portable?

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
wilsonbr90 said:
Since brightness isn't required these can be ran on as little as 4.5v. Get a 9v battery clip and a few batteries. Probably get at least 3 hours on one battery.

Edit:

Is this going to be stationary or portable?

This will be stationary when at gatherings and conventions but portable for the most part. I hope that makes sense. lol.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Two 6 volt lantern batteries - available cheap everywhere - wired in series will give you 12 volts and power your display for days. The dry batteries do not pose a safety issue like a wet battery (motorcycle, lawn tractor, etc.) would.

Example:

Rayovac Heavy Duty 6V Lantern Battery: Batteries : Walmart.com

A plastic box, like the one linked below, will make battery transportation a breeze and you will not be dependant on a 110 volt power supply like you would need with a low amp power supply.

Cabela's 4-Box Shotshell Box : Cabela's

Add a simple on/off rocker switch to the plastic box (about $3 at an auto parts store), along with a two wire quick disconnect (from auto parts store for about $2) and you will have a nifty power supply that is easily portable, safe for persons passing by, and quite affordable.

Water proof rocker switch example (in case it rains while you are outside with your display:

NTE 54-527W Waterproof Rocker Switch SPST : Rocker Switches | RadioShack.com

Two wire quick disconnect example:

18 Gauge 2 Pin SAE Connectors Quick Disconnect Bullet Lead Cable 1 Ft | West Florida Components

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Retired1 said:
Two 6 volt lantern batteries - available cheap everywhere - wired in series will give you 12 volts and power your display for days. The dry batteries do not pose a safety issue like a wet battery (motorcycle, lawn tractor, etc.) would.

Example:

Rayovac Heavy Duty 6V Lantern Battery: Batteries : Walmart.com

A plastic box, like the one linked below, will make battery transportation a breeze and you will not be dependant on a 110 volt power supply like you would need with a low amp power supply.

Cabela's 4-Box Shotshell Box : Cabela's

Add a simple on/off rocker switch to the plastic box (about $3 at an auto parts store), along with a two wire quick disconnect (from auto parts store for about $2) and you will have a nifty power supply that is easily portable, safe for persons passing by, and quite affordable.

Water proof rocker switch example (in case it rains while you are outside with your display:

NTE 54-527W Waterproof Rocker Switch SPST : Rocker Switches | RadioShack.com

Two wire quick disconnect example:

18 Gauge 2 Pin SAE Connectors Quick Disconnect Bullet Lead Cable 1 Ft | West Florida Components

I would somehow like to mount the batteries/power source to the back of the sheet metal. Perhaps tack weld a small box to hold the batteries? and if I were to use a small box (ammo box) who sells coiled electrical cord to go from the lights to the batteries?

Thank you to all who have posted!

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
JohnFireFan said:
I would somehow like to mount the batteries/power source to the back of the sheet metal. Perhaps tack weld a small box to hold the batteries? and if I were to use a small box (ammo box) who sells coiled electrical cord to go from the lights to the batteries?

Thank you to all who have posted!

Google search and eBay search will give you a myriad of options/sources for coiled cords (and other items you might need). A local sheet metal shop should be able to easily make you a battery box to mount on the rear of your state shape, assuming that your display has adequate support to sustain the weight.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
A 9volt will be plenty of power to run this and the least complicated method and the easiest to hide. You could get a rechargeable one if you wanted to.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I have some small 12V power supplies in my FS thread. One style handles 3.3 amps (can do 4 slimlighters or dual talons or 5 single talons on one supply) and the other handles 1 amp, which would be more than enough for 2 TIR3s.

http://elightbars.org/forums/f95/whelen-leds-liberty-dominator-responder-housing-cencom%3B-fed-sig-jet-solaris-48374/

If you're going to have AC power, why mess around with batteries?? If no AC power, I'd just use the 9 volt batteries. Small, light, and you could stick it to the back of the display with velcro.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.