How to make Dashlight Thought would be an interesting project

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
So im looking to make some type of LED Dashlight/Decklight etc.

From scratch, except the housing, (i will use a retired housing from either Whelen Avenger, or Slimlighter)

My problem is to be honest i have no idea how to do this. Im not trying to be the next big thing in the market, or make my own lights to run everyone out of business lol, just trying new things.

I have browsed around online and have Found LED's with ease. but am more concerned about Drivers for them, Flashers, and boards in which they get mounted. I plan on running this off of a 12V power source (Automotive cigarette lighter ) With a simple on/off switch, i would like to have Flash pattern options as well.

Any ideas or help would be awesome. Thanks!

Also wondering if anyone knows off hand the output (Lm) of the Fed Sig SpectraLux Leds? Are they the brighest in the market?

THANKS AGAIN! :eek:

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Thank you, I have looked & Found all i need.

Now I need to start comparing brightness.

I see that MicroMan's Bars are Incredibly Bright with the Cree LED's.

I have found LEDS i would like to use but im curious of output AND wattage of LED's

eg Tomar, WHELEN, Fed Sig Avengers, Spectra-Lux

Thanks All!

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Alboy29 said:
Thank you, I have looked & Found all i need.

Now I need to start comparing brightness.

I see that MicroMan's Bars are Incredibly Bright with the Cree LED's.

I have found LEDS i would like to use but im curious of output AND wattage of LED's

eg Tomar, WHELEN, Fed Sig Avengers, Spectra-Lux

Thanks All!
Most are 1 watt led units, while some newer ones are 3 watt leds. However, they are not run at 3 watts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.