I have a bunch of wire that needs to be stripped. easy way to do it????

smsales

May 21, 2010
West Michigan
i am looking for something easy to strip a bunch of wire that i have laying around. Im looking for a Manual Wire Stripping Machine for Recycling. Anyone have an ideas?

thanks

smsales

May 21, 2010
West Michigan

smsales

May 21, 2010
West Michigan
Support Services said:
Check out youtube they have several vidio's of homemade wire stripers.

i tried the homemade stripper. didnt work very well.

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
After all of the thefts around here, they passed local ordinances in this part of the state making it a crime to accept wiring for recycling that has been obviously burned. We also require photo ID to be logged at the recycler for anyone turning in any kind of wiring, plumbing or air conditioner equipment.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
desk/table mounted vice (or otherwise secured to the ground) and a utility knife blade. Fix the blade vertically at a 45° angle or so and adjust the vice so the distance between the blade and the other end of the vice is exactly the width of the wire plus the thickness of the insulation (or a little more than that for good measure), and then just pull the wire through and when you're done peel the insulation off. I wouldn't do it with more than 100ft or so, as it'll be less time and energy efficient than building/buying a full on mechanical wire stripper.

Oh and if it gets stuck or too hard to pull, don't just keep pulling or the blade might snap and hit you in the eye or something, cheap shit.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Ipuvaepe said:
desk/table mounted vice (or otherwise secured to the ground) and a utility knife blade. Fix the blade vertically at a 45° angle or so and adjust the vice so the distance between the blade and the other end of the vice is exactly the width of the wire plus the thickness of the insulation (or a little more than that for good measure), and then just pull the wire through and when you're done peel the insulation off. I wouldn't do it with more than 100ft or so, as it'll be less time and energy efficient than building/buying a full on mechanical wire stripper.

Oh and if it gets stuck or too hard to pull, don't just keep pulling or the blade might snap and hit you in the eye or something, cheap shit.

way too dangerous buddy, check out that website in my previous post

smsales

May 21, 2010
West Michigan
i just order this thing. i have 14 days to return it if i dont like it. well give it a shot and see what happens. thats just it, you do installs and have cut off, you can really use it for anything, so im going to get some money back out of it. ill let ya know after i use it.

thanks for the info...if i may ask, how much for that stripper you posted?

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
NPS Ranger said:
Beat me to it! If it works for copper thieves, it'll work for you too.

If anyone decides to go this route just expect a visit from your friendly local deputy.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
smsales said:
i just order this thing. i have 14 days to return it if i dont like it. well give it a shot and see what happens. thats just it, you do installs and have cut off, you can really use it for anything, so im going to get some money back out of it. ill let ya know after i use it.
thanks for the info...if i may ask, how much for that stripper you posted?

I am a union electrician and i wore through the nylon blocks quickly. i had to order the aluminum inserts after a couple thousand feet that i stripped. i have literally stripped miles of smaller and medium wire with that tool. its a little tricky sometimes and i used some silicone spray in the inserts to help lubricate the wire as it enters the block. WELL WORTH YOUR MONEY IF YOU'RE SERIOUS ABOUT STRIPPING WIRE.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
smsales said:
works well for braided wire too? i saw that one, but hate buying stuff online before seeing it.

looks like that one is for large wire only. the one i recommended is for small to medium size wire. 14 guage to 1/0 guage solid or stranded.

smsales

May 21, 2010
West Michigan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.