I let the horn do the talking this time...

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
This is the reason I have a PA. In this cas you can use it by saying "pull to the right". I dont use it often but this is a perfect example where PA use would work great.

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
VolEms said:
This is the reason I have a PA. In this cas you can use it by saying "pull to the right". I dont use it often but this is a perfect example where PA use would work great.

Ive thought about that several times, but i adamantly refuse to do it. I dont want that liability of "He yelled at me over his siren, and it made me wreck"

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
NCFD43 said:
Ive thought about that several times, but i adamantly refuse to do it. I dont want that liability of "He yelled at me over his siren, and it made me wreck"

The siren is yelling at him..

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
NCFD43 said:

That seems silly to me. If you're that worried about liability, then you should never run lights and siren, nor should you direct traffic, or respond to anyone else's emergency. If a driver freezes and is not complying with state law (i.e., driving like a self-centered oblivious douchebag), then instructions given over the PA can only serve to assist that person in motoring more safely and legally! ;)

But seriously, the other person is responsible, not you. I can't see how giving a lawful order over a PA could ever be construed as a contributing factor in a collision. In my state, failing to obey a fireman directing traffic is a misdemeanor. I'd charge that in a heartbeat! I never have yet, but the time is coming. :D

emtspruitt

May 25, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I agree you did the right thing.

I was always taught to pass to the left also, plus using lights and sirens you are ASKING for people to yield and for the right of way. These are given not granted. It was nice to see that you stopped at the intersections. My ambulance service just bought a lady a new car b/c one of our drivers "paused" not STOPPED at a light in which he had the red. So good job covering yourself.....

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
NCFD43 said:
because i had a feeling that this lady would suddenly pull to the right.

Well call me sexist, but I knew it was a woman :D <--That is gonna get me in trouble!

Oh, and kudos to you for doing the right thing by NOT passing to the right!

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
I agree with not passing on the right, but I strongly disagree with not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or red light.

That would be grounds for a complete ass-chewing on my dept.

Trisdisp57

Jun 4, 2011
Long Island, NY
I agree with not passing on the right, you did the right thing. But posting a video of your code 3 response is going to get you criticism no matter what you do. But on the other hand it does bring me enjoyment. I am jealous though, I wish I could respond with a siren. Damn NY state law only takes blue lights as courtassy lights. :hail:

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
ISU_Cyclone said:
My question fell through the cracks.

Is that audible preemption or do you have an emitter?

Audible preemption. I like thm better than the strobe preemtion. We all have sirens, and are required to use them, so its easy to trip lights. Ive seen mixed results with them though. Some days i havent caught the lights at all, and other days im tripping them from a mile away. Most of the time, i come to a stop, even if i control the lights, although it depends on traffic, weather, and some other things as well.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
NCFD43 said:
Audible preemption. I like thm better than the strobe preemtion. We all have sirens, and are required to use them, so its easy to trip lights. Ive seen mixed results with them though. Some days i havent caught the lights at all, and other days im tripping them from a mile away. Most of the time, i come to a stop, even if i control the lights, although it depends on traffic, weather, and some other things as well.

I have no experience with audible preemption, only strobe...

How do they work? Do they just throw the entire intersection into red? Are they smart enough (like strobe systems) to create green for the direction the emergency vehicle is travelling?

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Zack said:
I have no experience with audible preemption, only strobe...

How do they work? Do they just throw the entire intersection into red? Are they smart enough (like strobe systems) to create green for the direction the emergency vehicle is travelling?

Yeah. Theres microphones facing each direction. The mic that pics up the siren, throws all the lights red, except the direction the EV is coming from. You may have seen the blinking white light. That light blinks to let you know that you have the lights in that direction, as well as the green traffic lights. All the other white lights steady burn white, or blue, and the traffic lights go red.

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
Station 3 said:
....disregard the fire call and pull them over and have them explain to me why....

Disregard a firecall to yell at some motorist who probably just thought; "He can easily pass one my right", while people are at risk of dying in a fire. Seriously? That is just plain stupid!!

Emergency driving is all about good communication with other motorists and looking for the "smoothest" solution. Driving your self into someones ass and sitting there with sirens blasting (making the guy/girl more stressed and less able to make good decisions), when there is room to pass, is just stupid!

Common guys: getting there safely and quickly is more important then "getting it your way"!

Last edited by a moderator:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
runesson said:
Disregard a firecall to yell at some motorist who probably just thought; "He can easily pass one my right", while people are at risk of dying in a fire. Seriously??? That is just plain stupid!!

I see your point, but in his defense the fd he was with is no where near a "one man per truck" responding. That fd is known as the calvalry because they have 80+ vollys and about 20 paid. When they get toned out you can hear sirens from all over the city responding and there is almost always at least a hand full of trucks responding with 4-6 ff on each truck. I give a lot of credit to the EVFD for responding to other cities several miles away for mutual aid and get there before the fd requesting help. I have called in 10-50s 7 to 8 miles outside the city and they get on scene very fast and safely.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I think I see a bus driver that should be fired. I know they have a schedule to keep, but geez! :weird:

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
stansdds said:
I think I see a bus driver that should be fired. I know they have a schedule to keep, but geez! :weird:

+1. It also pisses me off that everyone else is standing around!

Dont worry, if he was fired the corrupt union would get his job back.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
MEVS06 said:
I see your point, but in his defense the fd he was with is no where near a "one man per truck" responding. That fd is known as the calvalry because they have 80+ vollys and about 20 paid. When they get toned out you can hear sirens from all over the city responding and there is almost always at least a hand full of trucks responding with 4-6 ff on each truck. I give a lot of credit to the EVFD for responding to other cities several miles away for mutual aid and get there before the fd requesting help. I have called in 10-50s 7 to 8 miles outside the city and they get on scene very fast and safely.

Yes sir one vol ff not geting to the firestation on time to jump on the 4th truck out of the station does not matter we actually had a problem with TOO many units on scene. And the people who witnessed me pulling over that jack ass for not moving to the right for my red/blue lights and sirens i promise you learned a lesson aswell and will not probably do that again so in other words i made things better and improved things for other emergency vehicles in the future.

spike91

Jun 11, 2010
New York
TheGatekeeper said:
Very valid observation....
Why stubbornly try to make this petrified driver move to the right when there is ample room to get around ???...

Well, being a proponent of "Run silent, run fast", to me it defeats the purpose of emergency response to get stuck behind a motorist like that and get frustrated over you horn...

Petrified driver? I'd like to see the area where you work. In the rest of America, I believe we deal with ignorant, selfish drivers who don't move as a matter of inconvenience. and as mentioned by others in the thread, passing on the right is dangerous.

I personally would've called the plate and vehicle description into PD.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Passing on the right is just plain dangerous, our professions are already dangerous as it is why increse that even more. I know a Police Pursuit driving instructor of 15+ years who did pass on the right and got nailed when he tried to clear the intersection. Thats unsafe IMHO.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
ike said:
shoulda just passed him in the right lane its not that big of a deal

Ummmm, if you had read any of the thread you would know that A), not allowed by station SOP, and B) not allowed by state statute.

That may be OK in a courtesy light state like yours, but will not fly in a response state like Ohio or MD.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
ike said:
shoulda just passed him in the right lane its not that big of a deal

Yea, lawsuits and injuring yourself and others is not that big of a deal. I just have to get to your house that is on fire or resuscitate your heart but I do no good causing a fleet(regardless dept vehicle or not, still affecting multiple depts, agencies and responders) which in turn takes me out of service, my supervisor out of service, potentially one medic unit for my crew and another medic unit for the other motorist and law enforcement to investigate. Not than big of a deal.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I actually have dash cam footage of me responding in my POV and some jack ass does not want to pull to the right for me so I TAKE it upon myself to pass him on the right and he once im on the right lane decides to finally pull to the right when im about to pass him and im almost in an accident. THATS WHY you dont do that if i were to get in an accident GUESS WHO WOULD BE AT FAULT???? ME

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Coming from Los Angeles suburbs, it's not uncommon for us to literally shut down lights & siren, pass on the right cautiously then go back to code which is well within the letter of the law. I could throw the book at them and the whole 9 yards but my job is to respond safely and legally. If we get hit from the left, we're safe. It's never happened before and we're just efficient in getting around.

You should explore that option.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
EVModules said:
Coming from Los Angeles suburbs, it's not uncommon for us to literally shut down lights & siren, pass on the right cautiously then go back to code which is well within the letter of the law. I could throw the book at them and the whole 9 yards but my job is to respond safely and legally. If we get hit from the left, we're safe. It's never happened before and we're just efficient in getting around.

You should explore that option.

Agreed. Even taught during in-service EVOC.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cameronbraedyn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.