ID this light bar please

It is def. is a Code-3 bar, i will check the lightbar on back of my squads old ambulance tomorrow

Where is the KKK-A-1822 specified white light on the front of Portage's ambulance? It looks amber in the photos.

shues said:
Where is the KKK-A-1822 specified white light on the front of Portage's ambulance? It looks amber in the photos.
Must be one of about 50% of ambulances nationally that don't follow KKK light guidelines... actually 95% of people don't follow it if you count the people that ignore the "additional lights and lightbars are not necessary" part.

Code-3 Intensity XS8000

JohnMarcson said:
Must be one of about 50% of ambulances nationally that don't follow KKK light guidelines... actually 95% of people don't follow it if you count the people that ignore the "additional lights and lightbars are not necessary" part.
I am begining to see a lot more med units around this area without the center white light.

FWIW LA City for a time had center mounted amber and red/amber intersector's on their ambulances. Gold Coast EMS in Ventura County CA also used amber to the front. Reasoning was with some of the fog conditions it worked much better than white. LA City went back to red/white for whatever reason (forgot what prompted it from an old thread)

There is this Private EMS company that is huge down here that mostly runs those exact bars but with Halogen/Strobe mix they would look nice if they actually took the time to replace all the burned out strobes and halogen lights :lol:

JohnMarcson said:
The vast majority of ambulances in Virginia have at least one flashing white light visible to the front. Salem has had ambulances with a white strobe in the front center, and all other front-mounted lights being red rotators or halogen flashers. (I guess the center strobe is meant to change traffic lights, since nearly all ambulances and fire trucks have the same ones regardless of other lights)

Virginia allows ambulances, fire trucks, and a handful of other vehicles to use red or red/white lights - most areas use red/white for the additional visibility of white lights. In the back, lighting can range from two red flashers and a center amber one, up to full-length surface-mount lightbars plus an extra pair of red lights between the lightbar and the taillights.

Washington DC municipal ambulances, on the other hand, have two red LED lights and one white halogen light on the front side of the "box", and two red LED lights on the top of the grille, and that's ALL the front lighting. I'd like them to have a single red rotator on top of the cab, they're much cheaper than most lights, being typically available new for less than $150.

Station 3 said:
There is this Private EMS company that is huge down here that mostly runs those exact bars but with Halogen/Strobe mix they would look nice if they actually took the time to replace all the burned out strobes and halogen lights :lol:
That is exactly like my first aid squad they refuse to replace the strobes and light bulbs in the bar. The only thing that works are 2 rotating lights.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381