Idea: Proof of CPR certification necessary when renewing driver's license.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
I think this is a good idea. Seeing how most bystanders dont do a fucking thing at a cardiac arrest, maybe teaching them what to look for and how to do hands only cpr should be necessary when renewing a license. If you are already a provider you could just show proof of training. Would everyone take it seriously? No...but making it a reguirement would make sure more people know CPR than they do now.

Good idea or no..

Kent

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
HFD eng1ine said:
I think this is a good idea. Seeing how most bystanders dont do a fucking thing at a cardiac arrest, maybe teaching them what to look for and how to do hands only cpr should be necessary when renewing a license. If you are already a provider you could just show proof of training. Would everyone take it seriously? No...but making it a reguirement would make sure more people know CPR than they do now.

Good idea or no..

Kent

Small problem most places that give it charge for you to take it.

Most people would be afraid of being sued.

And not everybody is comfortable about doing it.

Heck even with the Good Samaritan law people are still afraid of being sued.

And afraid they might get something like Aids or hepatitis or another type of disease.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
HFD eng1ine said:
Good idea or no..

Kent

Learning CPR, good. Making it a legal requirement for an unrelated activity, no.

But it gives me another idea.... How about requiring that people learn how to drive before getting a license???!!! Nah, that would never go over.

Last edited by a moderator:

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
Or proving you are not a drunk, high idiot before driving. Or texting while driving, or HUA while driving.

Your right. Way out of the box.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
My county is on a huge citizen CPR kick - we have regular, free non-certification hands-only CPR classes. This, combined with aggressive ACLS and BLS and other projects, have helped skyrocket our saves to, I believe, 48%. If anyone wants any more info, let me know via PM.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
HFD eng1ine said:

Good idea or no..

Kent

I agree that it's a good idea in theory but way too challenging to implement, & there are a million different liability issues and health issues. There is also the huge cost factor associated with those courses, so imagine trying to get even a quarter of the US pop. certified (which would be like 80 million). Many companies/corporations are nowadays working to ensure that there are several CPR-certified staff on premises at all times (whether it's security, managers, a small internal "response team," etc)

As for the liability & health issues, I think that there are 3 main categories of people:

1) those that know what to do but are worried about getting sued (despite the Good Samaritan law)

2) those that know what to do but are worried about BSI (I don't know about y'all, but paramedic school made me a germophobic, so I don't wanna touch, let alone get all up close with, a stranger without any protective barriers...unless she's Heidi Klum)

3) people that think they know what they're doing but will probably end up doing more harm than good; honestly, most people that pass a basic CPR class probably didn't know what to do when they somehow passed the course or won't remember what to do 5 min after the course ended. While teaching lay persons to do compressions only seems simple enough, common sense is not common & I don't want some random Joe Schmo to try to work me

Lastly, what if someone refuses to take the CPR course (for whatever reason) but otherwise has an okay driving history...are you going to revoke their driving privileges just because of that? Being born and raised in the Northeast, which is an area that probably has the highest amt of douchebags per capita, I can guarantee you that > 2/3 of the drivers in the tristate area would instantly lose their licenses if that were the case.

Like I said earlier, great idea in theory, but certainly not plausible in real life IMHO

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
Lastly, what if someone refuses to take the CPR course (for whatever reason) but otherwise has an okay driving history...are you going to revoke their driving privileges just because of that? Being born and raised in the Northeast, which is an area that probably has the highest amt of douchebags per capita, I can guarantee you that > 2/3 of the drivers in the tristate area would instantly lose their licenses if that were the case.

Like I said earlier, great idea in theory, but certainly not plausible in real life IMHO

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
HFD eng1ine said:

Lmfao about the douchebags. You've got that right. From MA

Kent

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
chief1565 said:
Everything that's been said against the idea and you still going to stand behind it?

Concerding you live in a nofault state.

I remember back in '80's when i was in the Navy coming back from from the Boston ship yard to RI a car got side swipped on one side and kept going then on the other.Nobody stopped. So who has the worst drivers?

I have no idea what you're trying to convey and to whom.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
pdk9 said:
I have no idea what you're trying to convey and to whom.

the OP I did qoute

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
pdk9 said:
... (I don't know about y'all, but paramedic school made me a germophobic, so I don't wanna touch, let alone get all up close with, a stranger without any protective barriers...unless she's Heidi Klum)...

Eh, she probably has Kuru.

FF Vince

Oct 9, 2010
Upstate, New York
I believe most people if required to have CPR certification would not preform CPR when faced with a cardiac arrest situation. A lot of places have the EMD via dispatch so those who do not know CPR and choose to use it can be walked through over the phone. Maybe a discount on license renewal with valid CPR certification would be a better solution.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I think all Police officers need to stop being wussis and do something at a medical call! Im a Deputy Constable have my ECA license with the Texas Department of Health and on more times that i can count i have arrived on the scene of something MAJOR just to encounter 3 or 4 officers standing there with the thousand yard stare not doing anything "just watching from a safe distance". Then im the guy stuck with the guy who was shot until EMS arrive or the guy having the heart attack or the guy bleeding his guts out at a traffic accident.

I like your idea but i think we need to start with the police first then work our way to civilians

FF Vince

Oct 9, 2010
Upstate, New York
No issues up here with police officers doing CPR in my neck of the woods. Some will respond out to specifically assist EMS with CPR, BVM, etc..

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
pdk9 said:
As for the liability & health issues, I think that there are 3 main categories of people:

1) those that know what to do but are worried about getting sued (despite the Good Samaritan law)

While usually not going to happen, I understand. As a healthcare provider, if I'm off duty, even I don't act unless it's a life-threatening situation, and I have training!

2) those that know what to do but are worried about BSI (I don't know about y'all, but paramedic school made me a germophobic, so I don't wanna touch, let alone get all up close with, a stranger without any protective barriers...unless she's Heidi Klum)

True that! I don't use pens other people touch(nor let my patients use mine for signing it, I always carry five pens). Always have hand sanitizer with me. ESPECIALLY nursing homes. They have some of the highest transmission rates of STDs.

3) people that think they know what they're doing but will probably end up doing more harm than good; honestly, most people that pass a basic CPR class probably didn't know what to do when they somehow passed the course or won't remember what to do 5 min after the course ended. While teaching lay persons to do compressions only seems simple enough, common sense is not common & I don't want some random Joe Schmo to try to work me

Not to mention AHA guidelines state that since even healthcare providers cannot adequately detect pulses, bystanders aren't even going to try. Not breathing? CPR! (Not criticizing, I'm an instructor that does a lot to do with cardiac resuscitation here)
snip

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.