Ideas for a new Rig

RoaddoggAK

May 24, 2010
Erie, PA
So here's the dilemma. We've just about finished the bid on a new engine, and I'm considering adding some additional front warning to help out. The rig will be a Sutphen, and thus have the standard stainless steel twin housings with the twin 600 series. The lightbar is also maxed out in red with 4 white's mixed in. Here are my thoughts, and I'd look for some suggestions or other ideas. 

1. Replace 1 600 each side with a Powerarc.

2. Add additional lighting below and inboard of the headlights. (I've seen 600's there before, but I think I'd prefer 900's, larger footprint powerarc's?)

3. Add 2 900's on the front bumper outside of the center slotted section. (I feel this may be too low though.)

I'd like the groups thoughts on what direction I should head. I've attached a pic of our 2011 that this new one should mirror.

Thanks!

20150713_181006_resized.jpg

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Putting lightheads on the front of the bumper will just be prone to bumping into stuff and fire gear hitting them when accessing that storage in it. Id skip that.

Id also not put more lights by the headlights, I would just put one set on a HLF. That truck, with those four 600s has more front warning than most trucks around here already.

Reactions: StEaLtH2 and 336

RoaddoggAK

May 24, 2010
Erie, PA
Thanks for jogging my memory. The headlights will be LED with a HLF in them. Our other two pieces do not. This may very well be enough as is stands. 

Reactions: 7d9_z28

Dec 2, 2012
Pender County, N.C.
We've got the same Sutphen , same front warning, with the HLF it seems to be plenty.   

Idiots are either paying attention or they are rectally inverted and no amount of lights will change that,,

Side warning could maybe be deserving of review?

Reactions: StEaLtH2

Dec 2, 2012
Pender County, N.C.
   You've got us beat for side warning,   The cab and front side bumper additions look great.

IMG_3567.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Idiots are either paying attention or they are rectally inverted and no amount of lights will change that,,

?
This exactly 👆......

Will the truck have that 600 side light?

I prefer one of the two forward facing to be different, a power arc, or the 600 Rotabeam since no one has mentioned it... We run clear Oscilasers against 600 super in Red... On a 07 Pierce, killed by NFPA park...

While I've never seen a new gen Rota in person, I spec'd a pair front and rear on a Truck set for thanksgiving delivery by E-one....

Reactions: 336

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
So here's the dilemma. We've just about finished the bid on a new engine, and I'm considering adding some additional front warning to help out. The rig will be a Sutphen, and thus have the standard stainless steel twin housings with the twin 600 series. The lightbar is also maxed out in red with 4 white's mixed in. Here are my thoughts, and I'd look for some suggestions or other ideas.

1. Replace 1 600 each side with a Powerarc.

2. Add additional lighting below and inboard of the headlights. (I've seen 600's there before, but I think I'd prefer 900's, larger footprint powerarc's?)

3. Add 2 900's on the front bumper outside of the center slotted section. (I feel this may be too low though.)

I'd like the groups thoughts on what direction I should head. I've attached a pic of our 2011 that this new one should mirror.

Thanks!
It's funny you brought this up, b/c we're a Pierce dept but Sutphen is increasing it's presence in south Florida....I've been thinking of different ways to add front lighting to a potential sutphen spec b/c I don't like how Sutphen's signature pairs of 600s are at the far left and right sides of the truck (which leaves a big gap in the center/grill area IMO). I'm also a big fan of mixing technologies up front, so this is what I have come with (in the event that I have to spec sutphen instead of Pierce):
--2 red 600s as the outer lights with 2 red powerarcs as the inner lights in the stainless housing. They're directly above the high beams (which offers plenty of clear and may wash out the red unless all 4 grill lights are red) IMO.

--LED HLF

--Mount the Q-siren on the front bumper and put a Rotoray in the center of the grill (where the Q typically is mounted on Sutphens. Depending on whether or not you have an extended front bumper, you can either have the Q mounted on top of the bumper or recessed in the bumper

--chevrons on front bumper

Other thoughts I figured I'd throw in:

--I'm against having any forward-facing lights mounted on the front bumper (primarily since they're prone to damage from fender benders or couplings on bumper-mounted lines as they're deployed, and b/c I find them too low to be effective)

--an alternative option to my beloved roto-ray is to have a mini freedom on a shelf bracket between the grill and windshield (Syracuse has this on their Sutphen Rescue). I like the idea but personally think it looks ugly as shit, so I would also consider replacing the roto-ray idea above with either a surface mount mini freedom ( normal or rotabeam lightheads in it) or a pair of surface mount powerarcs/rotabeams in the center of the grill. If you go, with either the powerarcs or rotabeams in the center of the grill, then I'd have both lightheads in the stainless housing be 600s.

--double up on the intersection lighting...most depts only have a 600 on either the side of the stainless housing or he side of the bumper, but I'd honestly have 1 in each area (1 set to a fast pattern and 1 set to a slower pattern and synced with the rest of the side warning to have an optimal mix for grabbing attention) for a total of 2 intersection lights

--if you have an LED floodlight right above the windshield, I would save money and leave the 2 center inboards on the freedom (directly above it) empty. We have 1 dual pioneer center-mounted above the windshield that flashes whenever the vehicle is in drive and that sucker is so damn bright that it washes out the entire center of the freedom lightbar at night. Most of us aren't like Mount Horeb and have endless amounts of $ in the blinkies and noisemaker budget, so that is one area to trim the fat without sacrificing any output

Last edited by a moderator:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Just had another thought. Adding a PowerArc to the sides of the front bumper to supplement the 600 on the headlight pods for intersection would look great. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.