Ideas Please

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
So, my fire dept. has some extra money, and it's a couple years before we finish paying off our tanker and can get a new engine. I'm contemplating talking to our Chief about outfitting our current engine with LEDs, then we could transfer the LEDs off her to the new engine, or our tanker, whenever the new engine may decide to park itself in our station.

We have a 1990 GMC TopKick/91 S&S, and its due for some sort of upgrade. We just re-outfitted our rescue to all LED, and we're wanting to convert all apparatus to LED at some point along the line. Any idea on what would work, look good, be efficient for this old main that's still working? Our dept. ONLY buys Whelen. Our Chief is pretty adamant on that here recently.

engine 91.jpg

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I'll second CoverLights, if you have extra money that you're looking to spend on lights to outfit an entire truck and only buy Whelen, sounds like you have quite a few extra bucks. Why not take that extra money and help pay off the tanker so that you can be that much closer to a new engine.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Tanker is being paid for by town and township, not via dept. The extra money we have is for equipment, uniforms, fix-er-uppers, what ever we may need. It's the money we gather from fund raisers, donations, pop machines we own, thank yous, filling pools(I live in a SMALL town... Yes we take our tanker and fill pools lol). We very well may end up using it to just toss into the tanker fund, but this is buy anything money, where as our town has a fund set aside specifically for the tanker.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I agree with waiting for the new truck unless you have trouble moving traffic. In that case dont go over board, simple 900s in the grill, 700s on the side of the hood etc.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Maybe do 4 600s in the grille red/white than 1 700 on the side of the hood or fender I'd leave the light bar alone maybe re lens it and add a little white up there

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
JPolston said:
So, my fire dept. has some extra money, and it's a couple years before we finish paying off our tanker and can get a new engine. I'm contemplating talking to our Chief about outfitting our current engine with LEDs, then we could transfer the LEDs off her to the new engine, or our tanker, whenever the new engine may decide to park itself in our station.

We have a 1990 GMC TopKick/91 S&S, and its due for some sort of upgrade. We just re-outfitted our rescue to all LED, and we're wanting to convert all apparatus to LED at some point along the line. Any idea on what would work, look good, be efficient for this old main that's still working? Our dept. ONLY buys Whelen. Our Chief is pretty adamant on that here recently.

View attachment 53810

I agree on holding out for the new rig, so that one can spec-ed without cutting any corners.

What does the rear look like...all diamond plate? I would say at the minimum add reflective chevrons to the rear and front bumper...relatively inexpensive and the neon yellow/bright red really are eye catching (if it's diamond plate to the rear, u can use scene dots; otherwise use the same 3M strips of tape that you would use with the front).

However, if you do want to upgrade lighting, I'd do something along the lines of the following

--Lightbar: if the halogen XL is still working fine, I'd consider leaving it. Otherwise, I'd go with a basic NFPA freedom. (You can use a NFPA liberty or justice, but I think they'll look small up there)

--Front: 900 series grill lights

--Side: 700 series at top of front wheel well, ions by rear wheel well (I would prefer something larger, but there isn't much space by the wheel well, nor is there a rail along the bottom of the compartments that is suitable for mounting either)

--Rear: I'd have to see it first, but I'd ideally say 4 900 series (2 red 2 amber) and 2 whelen L31's (amber on driver side and red on passenger side) to replace the existing beacons. The L31's are a little pricey but they serve 2 purposes (upper rear zone warning & upper side zone warning) and they are very bright; our fairly new Impel quint has them and those suckers are bright...they blow the FedSig highlighters and halogen beacons (the former choice of lighting for that area on all other other rigs) out of the water; I'm not a fan of L32's used in this area because I think they're too small here. Traffic advisor is always an option, but I'd focus on other lighting first).

I'd go with all colored lenses for the perimeter lighting...I think the 700's and 900's fit in better with the look of the truck than the M series and the colored lenses will make them blend in even more IMHO.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.