If you're sitting on the fence about the Feniex Cannon like I was....

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
PULL THE TRIGGER! GO FOR IT! Holy cr@p! I was seeing stars for about 30 minutes after setting them up...And for your viewing pleasure...Comparison video from old setup (Rontan Quasar) and Feniex Cannon. I tried to get the same type of flash pattern and the Cannons are mounted in the existing hole.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
firefighter112 said:
PULL THE TRIGGER! GO FOR IT! Holy cr@p! I was seeing stars for about 30 minutes after setting them up...And for your viewing pleasure...Comparison video from old setup (Rontan Quasar) and Feniex Cannon. I tried to get the same type of flash pattern and the Cannons are mounted in the existing hole.

I really like the fact that we have these shown in a video in the same location as another light. However I think it's worth noting that the over all designs here are very different, so much so that in a larger reflector, I think the results would be closer. I'm not denying the raw power of the Feniex Cannons, they are massivly bright, and a really solid output LAW.

LKCE-17008.jpg

466913534.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
firefighter112 said:
Wrong Rontans John...
The previous LAWs were the square ones with the funnel shaped reflector built in.

Still a slightly different design/style than the Feniex one, but a closer size and shape. Thanks for the clarification. I like the similar flash pattern being used too. Good video, we have a real lack of side by side comparison videos here. The Rontan one has significantly less over all LEDS it looks like. The Feniex model is one of the best populated hide aways I have seen.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
No problem. Do not get me wrong. I loved the Rontans for several reasons:

1. The are sold in pairs

2. Liked the idea of the funnel reflector built, so that it helps shine back onto the housing reflector

3. The square base design

The design of the Rontans are better suited for opaque/fluted lenses compared to my Ram's clear ones.

The issue I had with them was that during the day they were barely visible, and at night, the normal halogens almosted washed them out. I think if Feniex put that type of reflector on the Cannon, they would be able to use the entire reflector as well as be able to be seen head on.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Also, just a couple recommendation/suggestions:

1) Film it to where both are shown in the same "frame" instead of panning back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, showing each individually. Brain works better to actually watch both for an extended time instead of "remembering" how bright the one was 1 second before.

2) Do another video in more direct sunlight. In garages/shade never do these justice.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
Zap, the problem was that my truck doesn't fit in a normal garage here, and the small garage that I was working in, I was against the back wall taking the vid. I would have loved to do a direct sunlight comparison, but I was working in the middle of a thunderstorm (watch the vid in my install thread) Wife just wanted me to hurry up and get done.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
firefighter112 said:
Zap, the problem was that my truck doesn't fit in a normal garage here, and the small garage that I was working in, I was against the back wall taking the vid. I would have loved to do a direct sunlight comparison, but I was working in the middle of a thunderstorm (watch the vid in my install thread) Wife just wanted me to hurry up and get done.

The fact that there was one of each installed in the same way is still a good comparison. I'm not trying to down play the importance of the video..... we always want more.. hehe.. Thanks again for the opportunity to seem them in the same housing mounted the same way. Again, good video thanks.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
I've said it before on here... but the only complaints I get on the Feniex brand is that once you install something on your vehicle from Feniex, everything else looks dim in comparison.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
firefighter112 said:

My point was that if you did do a couple sweeps back and forth, have at least a bit of time where you focused on the center of the truck, where both lights were visible in the camera's view (which was possible seeing as I saw both at times when you were panning).

Again, just a suggestion, was not looking to critique you or disparage you.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
I totally understand Zap, but in order to get both heads in one shot, so you could definitely see the difference, the truck would have to have been pulled straight in. I was all the way to the right (when looking out the door). There was no way to get the truck straight in, as the dogs' kennel is on the driver's side door.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Glad you love them nate, thanks for being a great customer! Seriously, I apologize I don't know more about the master/slave settings and programming and what not. I re-learn those things each product and install I do LOL.

Looks awesome, thanks again :thumbsup:

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
Thanks a lot for the video. :)

But I have one question: your truck has a german registration, so how did you manage the TÜV check up, or are they just built in without approval?

I mean I know that bavaria is more easy going to get lights as a vollie, but white and not ece approved?

Really just interesting as in Berlin it's hard even to get only a throw light registered... :weird: :duh:

Thanks for your input as I still search for a way to get LAWs in my foglights.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
Firefly Berlin said:
Thanks a lot for the video. :)

But I have one question: your truck has a german registration, so how did you manage the TÜV check up, or are they just built in without approval?

I mean I know that bavaria is more easy going to get lights as a vollie, but white and not ece approved?

Really just interesting as in Berlin it's hard even to get only a throw light registered... :weird: :duh:

Thanks for your input as I still search for a way to get LAWs in my foglights.
@Zap-My name is also Nate.

@Firefly you are correct in that it is German registered, but not thru TuV. I fall under the US Forces here in Germany. Hence why no blue lights as I do not have a fahrzuegschein that it could be written in to. The allowance thru the German side fell thru as my truck is not registered thru he Germans.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
No problem ! The only way I would be able to run blues right now is to register the truck on the German side but I really do not want to pay German gas prices :p . But, the wife's uncle is KBM , so he is still trying to work the issue. It's not over till the fat lady sings.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
:haha: :haha:

Anywho, back on topic...

Once I finish all pending deals I have, the first items I plan on getting are some Cannons (maybe even waiting for the extended ones they plan to bring out), and a Feniex 4200!!

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Good god man, why is there naked man ass in a visual warning thread... I really DIDN'T need to see that.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Just back from the NE fire Chiefs Expo and we sold over 200 of our E series hide a way kits in 3 days and 0 Cannons. They were side by side out in the open and not behind a lens and not one set sold. So before you pull the trigger check out our E series.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Strobesnmore said:
Just back from the NE fire Chiefs Expo and we sold over 200 of our E series hide a way kits in 3 days and 0 Cannons. They were side by side out in the open and not behind a lens and not one set sold. So before you pull the trigger check out our E series.

If you mean these http://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-N-More-E-Series-LED-Hide-a-way.html then I kind of understand why you sold so many. Mark down pricing has a big effect on potential buyers. Also, as these lights are designed to be used as supplemental warning within a factory lens assembly that's how I would prefer to see them displayed.

I'm not knocking the E series or supporting the Cannons, as I have no experience with either light, I'm simply saying that a head-on side-by-side comparison of these two lights is not the way I would want to test them. To put it another way, would you market a TIR-3 style light mounted in an obscure location (like the corner of an ambulance box) or as a grill light?

Reactions: MEVS06

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Strobesnmore said:

I could be mistaken, but I haven't seen Feniex, or a manufacturer representative for Whelen, Code 3, or Federal Signal, SoundOff Signal, Sirennet, STAR, etc...... come barreling into a thread touting YOUR products, and push their own!

How about this, I have a set of the E-Series in my truck now. Once available, I would LOVE to get a pair of split B/A Cannons, and compare them side-by-side in my current set up, and see who is clearly the winner!

Not KNOCKING your product (remember, I have 4 of them in my current set-up), just want to see in REAL life application, not just "sitting out in the open" who's is more effective!

:twocents:

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
Honestly, I looked at getting the E-series before getting the Cannons. The biggest reason I went with the Cannons is because of 2 things. 1st, the Cannon utilizes 12 LEDs per head. Coming from 3 LEDs per head, is a big step up, and I didn't want to buy the E-series only to wish that I had gotten the Cannons in the end. Yes you could say that 3<8 but in that respect, 8<12 . Second reason was, I have seen the vids on youtube of Cannons in sunlight, but have not seen the E-series in direct sunlight. To me, that was a big turn off, as I didn't want to spend my money on something that I have not at least seen a video of in a normal enviroment.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
firefighter112 said:
Honestly, I looked at getting the E-series before getting the Cannons. The biggest reason I went with the Cannons is because of 2 things. 1st, the Cannon utilizes 12 LEDs per head. Coming from 3 LEDs per head, is a big step up, and I didn't want to buy the E-series only to wish that I had gotten the Cannons in the end. Yes you could say that 3<8 but in that respect, 8<12 . Second reason was, I have seen the vids on youtube of Cannons in sunlight, but have not seen the E-series in direct sunlight. To me, that was a big turn off, as I didn't want to spend my money on something that I have not at least seen a video of in a normal enviroment.

My set-up. 4 SNM E-Series. Since they do not offer split heads (with a logical/legitimate reason) I got 2 Blue, and 2 Amber, putting one of each color, into each reverse light housing.

Below is my vehicle with the SNM E-Series in direct noon-time (approx) sunlight!

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a255_xfirefighter484x_Trailblazer_th_VIDEO0020.jpg

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
firefighter112 said:
Here is direct sun light...will upload the HD version when I get home....

Like it!!

I will still (for the time being at least) ALWAYS push for properly powered Strobe HAWs if someone wants a CLEAR HAW behind a clear lens!!! I have yet to see a LED HAW match the output, intensity, and "pop" of strobe in Clear!!

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Please accept my apologies if you thought I was hijacking the thread as that was not my intent. All I was saying is there are other lights to compare to the Cannons. We sell both so its not like we are knocking one over another. We displayed them both out in the open. We do not stock the 2 color cannons as to us that defeats the point of the 12 diodes. I like the cannons but the flasher and flange are the largest in the industry which I think when you put those two items next to a kit of 2 lights that are equal in output and a 1/3 less the cost its an easy decision.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Ill also add that videos should never be used as a sole reason to purchase lights. Light housings are all different, where the lights get mounted in those housing, the ambient light conditions, the colors, the camera used, etc... I did a test a while back using and Iphone, $1000 video camera, and a $300.00 camera and every video looked completely different and the $300.00 camera made them look twice as bright as the other 2 cameras.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
vonirkinshtine said:
Neither should you use a manufacturer's claim about using "brighter" diodes.

Oh? JazzDad diodes are so good, they pass current in only one direction!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiemartin6

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.