Ignorence

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
So on another forum I frequent, someone asked about emergency lighting and what might be a better brand then what he currently has. This was one of the responses.

If people are going to move out of your way, they will do it whether you have a thousnad dollars worth of lights or a small rotator on your dash and your four ways going. If you're worried about being able to get to calls faster, perhaps you should save your money to get new tires or replace your brakes. No one is going to care how cool the lights on your vehicle look if they have to come cut you out of it because you got in a wreck on the way to the station. I understand that if your a dedicated volunteer you need to push the limits of "normal driving," but you also need tobe very concious of your limits and keep in mind that you don't do any good if you don't get there.

For the second half of the paragraph, I completely agree with it. However, the first part I can not. How does anyone in their right mind think a little beacon is going to be as effective as an interior light bar, or even a single avenger? That's like saying a 90 honda civic is as good as a 2014 Ford GT Mustang. Oh, don't even get me started on the fact that he suggested the use of 4ways.... :duh:

Seriously, how does someone think thats effective. :weird:

Just remember always that those lights don't give you the right of way. Drive defensively and give all motorists additional respect when you use your lights. Sorry to sound like I'm preaching, but it's important. Nothing scares me more than to hear one of our guys say he wants to put lights on his car or his truck. I'm fortunate to live directly across the street from the station or I suppose I would too..

This was another comment. While driving code 3 is dangerous, thats why you drive smart and have PROPER lighting. I dont know, this is the additude I hear from some of the older guys on mine and other departments. However, they tend to ignore the guys (or themselves) that go into a room with smoke in it without masking up, not wearing reflective vests on MVC's and just screwing with other guys when they shouldn't. Again, how does any of this make sense. :weird:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
cswroe said:
The word is Ignorance.

Damnit, beat me to it!!! :sadcry:

Zodiac

Jan 26, 2013
The Valley, WI
In my little village it's typical to see people respond with a full lighting setup, just their four ways, or nothing at all. I currently have nothing, as I actually live the closest to the station out of everyone, however I'm not always home either.

But I can't tell you how many times people ignore four ways, and no one notices the vehicle with nothing on it.

And I can tell you that in my department, if you show up to an MVC without a safety vest, you get sent home. If you walk in to a building that's on fire without a face piece on, you're going to get sent home. Sure smoke is part of it, but sometimes people put strange chemicals in their homes that don't need to be inhaled.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Zodiac said:
But I can't tell you how many times people ignore four ways, and no one notices the vehicle with nothing on it.

If I saw someone driving with four way flashers, I'd just think they had been parked and drove off, forgetting to turn them off. Why should I think any other way?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
GaryErrol said:
If I saw someone driving with four way flashers, I'd just think they had been parked and drove off, forgetting to turn them off. Why should I think any other way?

If they are doing 70 in a 35 and weaving in and out of traffic, then you should think another way. :D

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Irsh42 said:
Oh, don't even get me started on the fact that he suggested the use of 4ways.... :duh:
Dangerous nuisance.

People "responding" with four-way-flashers as (only or additional) "courtesy/warning lights" obviously have no idea what turn signals originally are made for. :nono:

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Quickstep80 said:
Dangerous nuisance.
People "responding" with four-way-flashers as (only or additional) "courtesy/warning lights" obviously have no idea what turn signals originally are made for. :nono:

Yep, and every fire house in my state needs to get that through their thick skulls.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Off topic, but I love the folks that drive with their OEM flashers on in the fog.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
JazzDad said:
Off topic, but I love the folks that drive with their OEM flashers on in the fog.

In VERY dense fog or torrential rain I've been known to toss my flashers on, but I'm aware of them being on and will turn the back off to signal a lane chagne and/or turn. The people that FORGET they have them on are the ones I can't stand.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
GaryErrol said:

7d9_z28 said:
If they are doing 70 in a 35 and weaving in and out of traffic, then you should think another way. :D

I would think they're a retarded asshole, but that's just me!

Zodiac

Jan 26, 2013
The Valley, WI
GaryErrol said:

The first time I saw it I knew they were responding, but when we got to the station the driver was complaining that no one was getting out of their way and pretty much ignoring them.

I just left it alone and didn't get in to it.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
firefighter7017 said:
What kind of screwed up forum are you on?

I had a really good smart ass response, but I realized that was going to bite me in the ass too.. So maybe your right, that forum is rubbing off on me. :bonk:

But I'll give you a hint, its popular firefighter site.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
Irsh42 said:
I had a really good smart ass response, but I realized that was going to bite me in the ass too.. So maybe your right, that forum is rubbing off on me. :bonk:

But I'll give you a hint, its popular firefighter site.

Wasn't trying to be an ass, if you took it that way. Hard to portray sarcasm on the internet. :D

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Irsh42 said:
Yeah that kinda bit me in the ass... :duh:

That's like twice this week

We Irish aint exactly known for our speakin/spellin skills, you know. Now if I'll excuse you now here, I have a drink to attend to.....a drink to..

drink.....a beer too.......oh I'm going to the b...b......bar

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
firefighter7017 said:
Wasn't trying to be an ass, if you took it that way. Hard to portray sarcasm on the internet. :D

Oh no, I know you were being sarcastic. :D But no, I had a really good smart ass response.. But it was going to bash firefighters.. and I'm a firefighter.. So it would of been a little counterproductive. :bonk:

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Phoenix_Rising said:
We Irish aint exactly known for our speakin/spellin skills, you know. Now if I'll excuse you now here, I have a drink to attend to.....a drink to..

Woah.... You plan on sharing with a fellow Irishmen, right?..

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Phoenix_Rising said:

Have a couple of Irish coffee's and call me in the morning.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Phoenix_Rising said:

a2.bp.blogspot.com__C_gdw__4mhM_RqdoyvNG_gI_AAAAAAAAAEs_IfveGs6il_g_s320_boondocks.jpg

Why don't you make like a tree and get the f*** out of here.

John B

Jul 19, 2012
Florida
Irsh42 said:
For the second half of the paragraph, I completely agree with it. However, the first part I can not. How does anyone in their right mind think a little beacon is going to be as effective as an interior light bar, or even a single avenger?
The guy makes a great point. No where is what you posted about his comments was he making the case for which light is the most effective.

If people are going to move out of your way, they will do it whether you have a thousnad dollars worth of lights or a small rotator on your dash and your four ways going.
He was simply making the case that some people just don't give a rats ass what you have on your car. If they are going to move, then they will move because it's the right thing to do. On I-75 in Florida, other places too I'll bet, there are signs that say, "Move over for emergency vehicles, it's the law". That sign tells you all you need to know. Emergency vehicles are loaded with lights and some people still refuse to get over.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
If a little beacon or nothing at all is not effective, then I think it's safe to say that the world would have ended long ago, like when there were no lights or only little beacons on the market. If that was the case, life would have ceased to exist because emergency responders of years past would have never saved anyone, since they could have never effectively responded. :weird:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
badge22 said:
If a little beacon or nothing at all is not effective, then I think it's safe to say that the world would have ended long ago, like when there were no lights or only little beacons on the market. If that was the case, life would have ceased to exist because emergency responders of years past would have never saved anyone, since they could have never effectively responded. :weird:

While I understand where you're coming from, times were different then. People had more respect and decency then they do today. We have moved from "Ask not what your Country can do for you..." to "The government is gonna take care of me" and with that move came the "me" generation. Cellphones, iPods, DVD players, along with better soundproofing on vehicles and overall less attentive drivers leads to the need for more/better warning packages on emergency vehicles.

Having come from NJ were I was allowed (more or less) a single blue light and no audible warning to SC where I run full 360* R/W with siren and EV status, I'd NEVER go back.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killgolden

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.