Impala problem

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Don't know if this is the right section, Mods feel free to move as needed.

Ok so my section's 2008 9C1 Impala is making a farily rapid clicking sound when you open doors, operate HVAC, and now it does it by itself when car is off and secure. It also makes a louder similar clicking sound when you first start the car and start to drive. The clicking will stop on its own and used to stop when you would switch the HVAC setting from "outside air" to the "inside air". The clicking seems to be originating from the passenger side of the console deep under the dash. Wondering if anyone has had this problem or heard of it and if anyone has any ideas on what it is. Thanks.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I think I may know what it is as my 2003 GMC Sierra did it. I cant think of the name of the part, but it sounds like the piece of the heat/AC vent system that has the door that moves when you switch from vent to floor to defroster-some type of diverter or actuator. When it gets to its final travel, the motor keeps trying to push it farther which it cant. Its not getting the signal to stop. So the motor is turning and some type of mechanism is making the clicking noise. The only thing you mentioned that stumps me is you said it does it when the car is off.

If you can find that unit under the dash, pull the electrical connector from it when its making the clicking sound. If it stops, BINGO.

It may not be this at all, but it sounds a lot like the problem I had.

partss11

May 24, 2010
Arizona
My old explorer had a similar problem, ended up being the heat/ac blender box. Pretty cheap repair if that's what it is.

J. Forbes

May 24, 2010
Houston
Hoff said:
Don't know if this is the right section, Mods feel free to move as needed.

Ok so my section's 2008 9C1 Impala is making a farily rapid clicking sound when you open doors, operate HVAC, and now it does it by itself when car is off and secure. It also makes a louder similar clicking sound when you first start the car and start to drive. The clicking will stop on its own and used to stop when you would switch the HVAC setting from "outside air" to the "inside air". The clicking seems to be originating from the passenger side of the console deep under the dash. Wondering if anyone has had this problem or heard of it and if anyone has any ideas on what it is. Thanks.

We worked on an Impala about two weeks ago that did the same thing. Kind of sounded like a relay clicking constantly, but a lot louder. Drove me crazy. The owner said "it just does that".

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
The "blend door" or some such IIRC. It's annoying.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
That's what me and another handler had postulated. Hopefully it's a quick fix for the dealer (we aren't allowed to fix it).

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Hoff,

We had the same issues with some of our AF Wimpalas. To include when it was off... It is something with the HVAC and the dealer was able to fix quickly. They seemed to know exactly what it was as soon as I pulled in (I was the VCNCO at the time). It would appear this is an on going issue . Best of luck, I know how sometimes the Kennels seems to get forgotten until there is a bomb threat or OSI has a drug bust they need help on...

Dennis

resQyou

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
You need to remove the glove box by pressing down on the back of the tray .You will notice a black valve with a couple of hoses .Start your vehicle and hold your hand against the valve and you will feel the clicking . Cost Me about 70.00 parts and labor to replace the valve a couple of weeks ago on my 08 impala . It is called a fresh air actuator . It is a pain to get to the screws to change out

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Thank you guys, I'll give the VCNCO very specific details about it and hope they take care of it quickly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.