In-car video

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
The 10-8 cameras are becoming popular here. They are basic, but seem to work. Just a basic digital camera assembled from off-the-shelf imported components. I question their long-term durability in full-time police service just because of the construction and the damage I have seem cops do to everything in a car. The components are small, so the system footprint is the lowest out there. The cameras turn bronze colored in the sun after a while, losing their black color. Cables are not very rugged, IMO, but seem to work ok. Wiring is not quite as simple as they claim. Instructions are at the website. Customer support was very good when I called with install questions. You will nee to provide as external switch for manual record activation. The mirror monitor actually just goes over your existing mirror instead of replacing it. Experienced installer familiar with system in a properly upfitted car should be able to install in about an hour or so.

Probably worth his money if he has realistic expectations and no full-time need. Just plan the install, protect the wires with good loom and it will be good. Honestly, for a Liberty it is a good choice.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
I appreciate the feedback. He'll probably end up trying one. I just couldn't find any unbiased-looking reviews.

How's the record quality?

I'm really trying to talk him into replacing the Liberty with a Tahoe. Upfitting the Jeep was........ interesting.

Easy wire pass through of the firewall!

No! Flat! Surfaces! for mounting anything!

It's like somebody took original-Tron-style line art drawings , ran them through an audio processor to spice them up, and built a vehicle on them.

djmcfall

Nov 10, 2010
Filer, Idaho
I have six of these currently installed. Another Sheriff spoke highly of them so we gave them a try. PRO: Can't be beat for the money. Install is simple. Looks professional when installed properly. Uses simple SD cards. CON: Wires tend to pull lose from sockets. Cameras work good buy break down frequently. Vault has poor mounting options, but installer can easyly fab a brakett. Audio transmitter is not rugged at all. We are back to buying the higher end units, just started buying demo units or refurb units for half the price. Digital Alley units are nice but out of warranty repair cost are expensive. (Such as if you bend pins on the compact flash socket be ready to spend $250 plus shipping both ways)

Scott

Apr 23, 2011
Indiana
The department I work for had me install 6 Watch Guard DV-1 units. They were pricey but very easy to install with everything self contained and recorded to disc. They were installed 5 month's ago with no issues yet.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
A budget idea that works is to use an off-the-shelf webcam, plugged into the USB socket of either the main laptop or a laptop in the trunk which is dedicated to this job (which is a good way to use those Toughbooks you replaced with newer ones) running as record-all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.