Indianapolis's new "Super Bowl XLII Get out of Jail Free" card.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
From Yahoo! News;

If you

When I went to Phoenix for Super Bowl XLII, I was terrified of breaking the law because the sheriff there was a crazy person. This year in Indianapolis, out-of-towners are getting a little bit more of an olive branch.

For minor offenses, a $100 donation to the Clothe-a-Child fund can get you completely off the hook. You do the (minor, likely victimless) crime, you do no time, and kids in need benefit. Sounds like a win-win to me.

If you're curious about what you can get away with, Deputy Prosecutor Allison Broviak told the Indy Star that minor offenses include things like public intoxication, trespassing, or selling counterfeit tickets.

Personally I am conflicted with this situation. I think it's great to give back to charity and have the chance to make a difference but I think it's opening a whole big can 'o worms with this. Any other thoughts?

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
This is my favorite part:

Ken Falk, legal director of the ACLU, told the Indy Star that he questions the fairness of the policy for those who aren't so well-off:

""Someone who is poor is burdened because of his poverty," said Falk. "There is a disparity of what is available to them because of their inability to pay."

Why in the hell would poor people be traveling possibly halfway across the country to spend 2000 dollars on football tickets in the first place???? If you're that poor (like me), stay the F home.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
I think they should simply have to deal with the normal legal consequences of the crime. Why the hell should people who spend a ton of money to go to the Superbowl get a break, but the residents don't? Sounds like the scales of justice may be considerably out of balance.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Maybe this is their way of trying to prevent a most likely over burdened legal system from becoming totally overwhelmed with out of town folks getting minor offenses. Not much different than officers simply giving out warnings for small stuff that doesn't necessarily warrant them taking the time to do a report, write a ticket or whatnot. I could see how things could get back logged very quickly with such a large influx of visitors at one time.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
I kind of understand the thinking behind it, but think its ultimately a bad idea. The problem is that you have a lot of out of towners who will be committing stupid infractions like drinking in public. They would normally be handled with a citation or something, and the offender either coming to court or having a local warrant being issued. When you have some guy from Rhode Island, who will probably never be in Indy again, it makes it more difficult to collect the fine.

Of course the ACLU is going to complain that people aren't being treated fairly. If you are poor and can't afford to pay the fine... DON'T COMMIT THE FRIGGIN CRIME! Seems to me that would solve the problem, but then again I'm not some super smart ACLU left wing looney. Its a heart warming idea and I don't really have a problem with it, but there is no way it will fly...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.