Info on 4 lamp flashing beacons?

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
I searched for this here, but came up empty. I remember seeing a four lamp non-rotating alternating flashing beacon.

What years were these made?

What manufacturers made them?

I search google for them and come up empty as well.

Love this site, its great having so many knowlegable person(s) in one place!!

Thank you in advance.

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
Many of the manufactures made these types of lights Do-Ray,Trippe Dietz and many others. These lights were made for more rugged use in construction and service trucks.

Alot were used on locomotives where a standard rotator would just shake apart.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
ok ok I found the federal Duoray..

only one video found, Im still kicking myself, guy wanted 35 bucks for it when i looked at it.. :(

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Dominion Auto had one aswell. rare as hell too. I got two and have connection to two more, plust i have the parts minus a skirt top build another. Theyres a short skirt round top. they were ery popular in my area on recycling trucks back in the 80s and 90s. it was caled the Dominion automotive 4 way alternating flasher, i got a vid on youtube

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Richard P said:
Dominion Auto had one aswell. rare as hell too. I got two and have connection to two more, plust i have the parts minus a skirt top build another. Theyres a short skirt round top. they were ery popular in my area on recycling trucks back in the 80s and 90s. it was caled the Dominion automotive 4 way alternating flasher, i got a vid on youtube

This?

kdflsh.jpg

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Didnt Dominion sell out to FS and FS kept what is now their Target Tech line?

the one i saw and passed up, looked like the QF-1..

Do we know if this style light is still made?

Again it's bewildering to have so many knowlageable people in one place !!! :) :thumbsup:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
CodeMan said:
Didnt Dominion sell out to FS and FS kept what is now their Target Tech line?

the one i saw and passed up, looked like the QF-1..

Do we know if this style light is still made?

Again it's bewildering to have so many knowlageable people in one place !!! :) :thumbsup:

The QF-1 is still made, but mine is for sale cheaper.

billforbush

Jun 10, 2010
Northern Michigan
The Federal 044 was sometimes used on a Visibar opposite a model 14. I believe this was more common in California to meet the steady burn red requirement. Looked sweet, wish I had pics

Bill

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
ryan said:

I remember seeing beacons like this on the green and white Burlington Northern locomotives in the 80's and 90's. Could see them coming from a long way away. Not sure why they stopped using them.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Cam said:
I remember seeing beacons like this on the green and white Burlington Northern locomotives in the 80's and 90's. Could see them coming from a long way away. Not sure why they stopped using them.
from what i have heard these halogen locomotive beacons where a maintenance nightmare. The train vibrations caused the lamps to fail prematurely all the time.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
ERIC6913 said:
Nice pic Henry! now it makes more sense. Anyone know where to find a lantern battery like the one pictured with the BR-1?

That's probably going to be hard to find. Burgess made those ignition batteries in 6 volt [4F4H], 7 1/2 volt [4F5H, pictured] and 9 volt [4F6H]. They were used on early hand cranked IC engines. Modern "lantern batteries" might be adaptable but not sure if case size and terminal layout would be the same.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Henry455 said:
That's probably going to be hard to find. Burgess made those ignition batteries in 6 volt [4F4H], 7 1/2 volt [4F5H, pictured] and 9 volt [4F6H]. They were used on early hand cranked IC engines. Modern "lantern batteries" might be adaptable but not sure if case size and terminal layout would be the same.

is there another battery company with the same style battery?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
JohnMarcson said:

Yes, this is the 4 beams alternating flasher made by Dominion Automotive, and the one Richard P was referring to.

Fedsig bought DA but only the Tirbo Beam line, or so it seems. This beacon has been discontinued for a long while, and now very hard to find, even used.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.