Info on the lights on "CHiPs" police motorcycles

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
Been a huge fan of the show since I was a kid. Funny, even as a little kid I was into lights and knew all about the inner workings (at least I knew there were different lights doing different things) in a bar. Kind of odd for a little kid? I remember thinking I wonder why they don't fix the red light that is not flashing with the other one on the front of the bikes. Thinking they should wig-wag. Then later found out about California steady burn. Anyway, I always wondered what the red lights were on the front of the bikes. Were they made for bikes or were they a standard light used everywhere/ on everything? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depended on the episode but the majority of the time they were chrome Dietz Par 46 lights (bottom picture) with GE4001R sealed beams. Some had smaller par 36 lights (middle picture) but I don't know what brand those were.

Actually I think in this bottom picture shows both types used. Ponch's are par 46 , Bakers are par 36.

The CHP used the same Dietz par46 lights on their cars up until 1991 too as rear deck lights, except those were not chrome. (Top picture)

1212462808_1.jpg

CHIPS-tv-26.jpg

89CHP.jpg

Ok, am I seeing things, or on Ponch's bike, is the siren speaker mounted to the right rear crash bar, just in front of the saddlebag?

twodogs603 said:
Ok, am I seeing things, or on Ponch's bike, is the siren speaker mounted to the right rear crash bar, just in front of the saddlebag?

Yes you are correct. It was always there. In the opening credits when it shows the parts of the bikes in close ups, you can see it

Someone told me that the siren sound that was dubbed in for CHiPs motorcycles was an actual motorcycle siren. It was a hybrid mechanical/electronic device - the wail tone was generated mechanically and amplified electronically.

empire5150 said:
I remember thinking I wonder why they don't fix the red light that is not flashing with the other one on the front of the bikes. Thinking they should wig-wag.

Ditto! There was one episode where the bike's lights did wig wag and I remember thinking, they finally fixed it. A coworker and i have been watching Chips episodes during lunch break. Love seeing the old cars on the road.

Wow Jenny. I watched that show for years and never picked up on the fact that there were 2 different styles of lights used on the motors.

The lights in the front are par 36 in red..the rear was the blinking yellow sealed beam on the bags..we have far more lights now..the charging system on the KZ1000P is good but could not handle if they put more..I think the battery would drain fast especially if the bike was not running..strobes take a little less power but ive seen an xtra motorcycle battery being mounted in the radio box..for motorcycles now LED is the way to go..you can hook up multiple lights no problem..hope this is some good info..I too love chips and own a 2001 kz1000p . :)

JennyCop said:
I think it depended on the episode but the majority of the time they were chrome Dietz Par 46 lights (bottom picture) with GE4001R sealed beams. Some had smaller par 36 lights (middle picture) but I don't know what brand those were.

Actually I think in this bottom picture shows both types used. Ponch's are par 46 , Bakers are par 36.

The CHP used the same Dietz par46 lights on their cars up until 1991 too as rear deck lights, except those were not chrome. (Top picture)

On the Mustang, to the left of the blue deck light, looks like a radar antenna. CHP didn't use radar then, did they?

It looks like in the begining of the show they had 46s..then later 36s..I know from then to now we still use the 36s in the front..wow learned that today from the picture on the right.. they later put the speaker on the front crash bar.. thats where we still put the speaker today. I also noticed in the left picture the motors are newer than the right..the fenders are differant the bikes on the right are when the show first started which explains the 46 lights

The 2 antennas on the mustang..CHP had two freqencies vhf low which was the long whip..and vhf Hi which was the one on the roof..Par 36 was also used in federal twin sonic lightbars and other rotaters..they would be in clear if colored lens..if clear lensed lightbar you would have colored bulbs hence red,blue amber..all same size par 36 the ones i know were made by GE

Phillyrube said:
On the Mustang, to the left of the blue deck light, looks like a radar antenna. CHP didn't use radar then, did they?

Mustang302 said:
The 2 antennas on the mustang..CHP had two freqencies vhf low which was the long whip..and vhf Hi which was the one on the roof..Par 36 was also used in federal twin sonic lightbars and other rotaters..they would be in clear if colored lens..if clear lensed lightbar you would have colored bulbs hence red,blue amber..all same size par 36 the ones i know were made by GE
I think Phillyrube was referring to the box looking thing on the rear deck next to the blue light.

rick h. said:
Wow Jenny. I watched that show for years and never picked up on the fact that there were 2 different styles of lights used on the motors.
Haha...What can I say? Member Wigwam700 once said "Jenny you have the eyes of an eagle!" Guess he is right! lol :p

Phillyrube said:

It is a radar antenna. Back in those days, the state did not provide radar for the vehicles; however, local government could and did. I lived in San Bernardino County back then, and certain areas of the county,the county or other civic organizations provided radar sets to the local CHP office for enforcement in 'problem' target areas.

Duster said:
It is a radar antenna. Back in those days, the state did not provide radar for the vehicles; however, local government could and did. I lived in San Bernardino County back then, and certain areas of the county,the county or other civic organizations provided radar sets to the local CHP office for enforcement in 'problem' target areas.

Got it, thanks. My ex-wife is from a small town in Stanislaus Cty, and the sheriff used to brag they had radar but CHP did not.

RyanZ71 said:
Those mustangs were just so... small :(

Small, yes. But were they ever fast! Texas DPS used the small Mustang for a few years. The only problem I ever had with them was in wondering how they got their radio/siren/light consoles mounted in such a small space. It's called "creativity". I've discovered fo first response purposes that a small car has more space than you realize. I had a small hump mounted console in the last small car I drove that still had column shift.

As I've told Jenny in a another thread, I'd love to find one of those Mustangs. I wonder if that top picture was staged....since the CHP car is a Mustang as was the front car. Hmmmmm!

Mustang302 said:
These look like par36 im trying to find a close up of 46s
Those are par 36, why are you trying to find close ups of par 46's?

These pictured are par 46's.

4027943191_cd76f4982a_z.jpg

chpestrwil04-w370.jpg

chips1.jpg

dietz_red-2.jpg

CHPpar.jpg

These are not Dietz lights or motorcycle lights these are Mars single faced can lights from my collection, but I took these pics to show the difference in size between a par 36 and a Par 46.

Par 36 Left Par 46 Right

DSCN8095.JPG

DSCN7772.JPG

Phillyrube said:
Got it, thanks. My ex-wife is from a small town in Stanislaus Cty, and the sheriff used to brag they had radar but CHP did not.

I used to live in Modesto from 84-89 (Stanislaus County). I do not remember seeing any Radar on the CHP Units , I had a CHP Unit trying to clock Me via Speedometer on 99 one Morning , but lucky for Me I spotted Him and slowed down before He got Me. He followed Me all the way to work and when I turned into work He tapped His horn and waved , I guess He just wanted to let Me know that I had been spotted . lol. but MPD used Radar throughout the City.

Wailer said:
Someone told me that the siren sound that was dubbed in for CHiPs motorcycles was an actual motorcycle siren. It was a hybrid mechanical/electronic device - the wail tone was generated mechanically and amplified electronically.

The sirens sounds, as on all the police and emergency shows, were dubbed in. The siren sounds from the motorcycles back then were strange, at best. I always thought that it was something new someone had come up with. But, not they weren't mechanical sounds dubbed electronically.

JennyCop said:
Those are par 36, why are you trying to find close ups of par 46's?

These pictured are par 46's.

That's it..you found some good photos of 46..still amazed..thought we only had 36 on motorcycles..very cool info

Skip Goulet said:
The sirens sounds, as on all the police and emergency shows, were dubbed in. The siren sounds from the motorcycles back then were strange, at best. I always thought that it was something new someone had come up with. But, not they weren't mechanical sounds dubbed electronically.

Skip, the siren is a small electromechanical device the spins like a mechanical siren but is amplified with an electronic PA amplifier before the sound comes out the speaker. It was an actual motorcycle siren and I believe that CHP used them at one time. I think the brand name was 'Stewart' or something like that.

I don't remember where I got the info (could have been on ELB for all I know), but it makes sense. That siren sound on the TV show sounds much closer to mechanical than electronic.

Yes it does, it sounds exactly like you described it, a small mechanical siren amplified. I want one now.

Wailer said:
Skip, the siren is a small electromechanical device the spins like a mechanical siren but is amplified with an electronic PA amplifier before the sound comes out the speaker. It was an actual motorcycle siren and I believe that CHP used them at one time. I think the brand name was 'Stewart' or something like that.

Whoaaa....you mean there as a siren out there I've never seen? I'd like to see that one!

RyanZ71 said:
Those mustangs were just so... small :(

I recall an article (Motor Trend?) on the CHP "Cop Stangs". When they first came out, they had 4 speed gearboxes only--because Ford could fit an automatic on the 5.0 in the Stang shell. They had to teach most of the CHPies how to shift a manual.... Ah, the sound of grinding gears and smell burning clutch plates.

Maxim2Eng said:
I recall an article (Motor Trend?) on the CHP "Cop Stangs". When they first came out, they had 4 speed gearboxes only--because Ford could fit an automatic on the 5.0 in the Stang shell. They had to teach most of the CHPies how to shift a manual.... Ah, the sound of grinding gears and smell burning clutch plates.

I've not seen one of the CHP Mustangs close up...so I did know they were standard. I'd bet those babies would fly with that 4-speed stick, though.

Skip Goulet said:

It's funny that you say that... because I've seen some episodes recently and noticed that they never use their sirens on the highway, but only on off-ramps or city streets. That has had me wondering if it was done on purpose or for some other odd reason.

It's good for a laugh each time a motor unit or car screeches up to a scene with the siren screaming, but the lights (or lightbar) are off.

Jman423 said:
It's funny that you say that... because I've seen some episodes recently and noticed that they never use their sirens on the highway, but only on off-ramps or city streets. That has had me wondering if it was done on purpose or for some other odd reason.

It's good for a laugh each time a motor unit or car screeches up to a scene with the siren screaming, but the lights (or lightbar) are off.

On some of the cop shows you could tell that they were shot in multiple takes because on one scene you'd see them running with the lights on and siren going, and when they come around the corner, they're still running, but the lights aren't on!

I've seen some tv shows and movies in which the lightbars on the cars change from one scene to another. Vehicles equipped with Aerodynics seem to be among the worst when it comes to continuity. I guess the prop master assumes no one will notice the difference between a 24EAH, a 24EAHT, and a 25R Aerodynic. :crazy:

Skip Goulet said:
On some of the cop shows you could tell that they were shot in multiple takes because on one scene you'd see them running with the lights on and siren going, and when they come around the corner, they're still running, but the lights aren't on!

Additionally, siren noises are most often added in post production.... along with traffic noise, vehicle sounds, tire screeching, etc.

In fact, rarely are siren noised in television and movies recorded live.

Zack said:
Additionally, siren noises are most often added in post production.... along with traffic noise, vehicle sounds, tire screeching, etc.

In fact, rarely are siren noised in television and movies recorded live.

As has been discussed a lot on this board, the siren sounds on Emergency! were almost all dubbed in; with a few mistakes noted here and there. But the two "live" sirens I heard almost freaked me out. One was in an episode when Johnny and Roy responded to a heart attack victim at a golf course. The responding ambulance was a low top Cadillac, which actually belonged to Snyder Ambulance. As the ambulance was pulling out of the golf course, they let loose on the big Super Chief siren on top. I almost fell out of my chair! The other was during the two-part episode when J&R went to San Francisco. In this scene the guys were riding with a Batt. Chief when they got a call. This one also had to be "live" as they chief's car had an underhood doubletone siren. San Francisco FD was well-known for using the doubletone sirens, but I doubt that Emergency's sound engineers would've known that, our would've even had the doubletone sound in their sound files.

stansdds said:
I guess the prop master assumes no one will notice the difference between a 24EAH, a 24EAHT, and a 25R Aerodynic. :crazy:
I'd say they were correct, too. Only people like us seem to notice these things.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubinbrett