Info on the lights on "CHiPs" police motorcycles

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
twodogs603 said:
Ok, am I seeing things, or on Ponch's bike, is the siren speaker mounted to the right rear crash bar, just in front of the saddlebag?

Those were the days before all of the OSHA flak over loud noises. They were also 58-watt speakers (on 45W amps), instead of 100W like today, so the sound wasn't as oppressive.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
Mustang302 said:
It looks like in the begining of the show they had 46s..then later 36s..I know from then to now we still use the 36s in the front..wow learned that today from the picture on the right.. they later put the speaker on the front crash bar.. thats where we still put the speaker today. I also noticed in the left picture the motors are newer than the right..the fenders are differant the bikes on the right are when the show first started which explains the 46 lights

They had some SERIOUS continuity issues on that show. Unlike "Adam-12," where Webb was fanatic about visual accuracy (and had the studio and LAPD backing him up on this), Rosner figured that if it was anything similar to what was described in the script, it was good enough. Part of this was because a lot of the time they were borrowing resources, and had to shoot around availability schedules. Also, this was a "lightweight" show, and didn't have the budget to maintain accuracy. If something was being serviced, they grabbed another one to shoot a scene, rather than "shooting around" the missing piece of equipment.

When CHP equipment changes came along, these were not usually reflected on "Chips."

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
stansdds said:
I've seen some tv shows and movies in which the lightbars on the cars change from one scene to another. Vehicles equipped with Aerodynics seem to be among the worst when it comes to continuity. I guess the prop master assumes no one will notice the difference between a 24EAH, a 24EAHT, and a 25R Aerodynic. :crazy:

It has nothing to do with props -- it's the Transportation Coordinator ("Transpo"). Some are meticulous, some figure if it's got the right number and tires and the right color paint, it's good enough.

Some Transpos have an extensive stable of vehicles and accessories, while others use whatever is available from the studio shop when the call sheet arrives, which is mounted or dismounted as needed. The bar used when shooting on Monday (by the second unit) may be somewhere else on Thursday when they first unit shows the stars leaping out of the car. Or it might even be two different cars.

A production with a big budget, or who has a producer or Transpo with a lot of pull, will have equipment dedicated to that production company. Others use whatever they can rent.

The bottom line is that "It's Only A Movie!" Don't trust them to be accurate with ANYTHING, unless you know that they're spending the money to do so.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
SoloRTP said:
It has nothing to do with props -- it's the Transportation Coordinator ("Transpo"). Some are meticulous, some figure if it's got the right number and tires and the right color paint, it's good enough.

Some Transpos have an extensive stable of vehicles and accessories, while others use whatever is available from the studio shop when the call sheet arrives, which is mounted or dismounted as needed. The bar used when shooting on Monday (by the second unit) may be somewhere else on Thursday when they first unit shows the stars leaping out of the car. Or it might even be two different cars.

A production with a big budget, or who has a producer or Transpo with a lot of pull, will have equipment dedicated to that production company. Others use whatever they can rent.

The bottom line is that "It's Only A Movie!" Don't trust them to be accurate with ANYTHING, unless you know that they're spending the money to do so.

A good friend of mine in L.A., Joe Ortiz, leases vintage emergency vehicles to the movie studios. I've seen pix of some of his fire trucks that might be red one day and yellow the next, depending on who's shooting what and where. He has a nice short-wheel-based '68 Buick ambulance that had belonged to Snyder Ambulance but was built here in Texas. I'd love to have that one. And he's got a cherry '62 Plymouth Belvedere Batt. Chief's car that I wouldn't mind having. He's told me numerous times about how they make changes in paint schemes, graphics, etc. I'd hate to be the one paying that bill. Joe is also the curator for the L.A. City Fire Dept. Museum.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
The responding ambulance was a low top Cadillac, which actually belonged to Snyder Ambulance. As the ambulance was pulling out of the golf course, they let loose on the big Super Chief siren on top.

Was that the white Miller-Meteor duplex?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
Was that the white Miller-Meteor duplex?

Right. It had the Super Chief in the center of the roof flanked by twin CP25 speakers. This ambulance and the two yellow and white high top Suburbans belonged to Snyder.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
Skip Goulet said:
A good friend of mine in L.A., Joe Ortiz, leases vintage emergency vehicles to the movie studios.

Do me a favor and ask him if he'd be interested in a 4WD 1986 Ford Class 1 ambulance (E350 gasser) with Braun aluminum box. Good condition, needs paint but still has all of the warning equipment except one side light module and a couple of wall strobes. I've got the carb out for a rebuild. It still has the original interior, total of about 44,000 actual miles (it was reserved for 4WD runs and last outs). I got it for a camper / radio MCP, but have too many toys and it's time to start trimming. $7500 as-is, stored at a friend's place in Reno NV.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
SoloRTP said:
Do me a favor and ask him if he'd be interested in a 4WD 1986 Ford Class 1 ambulance (E350 gasser) with Braun aluminum box. Good condition, needs paint but still has all of the warning equipment except one side light module and a couple of wall strobes. I've got the carb out for a rebuild. It still has the original interior, total of about 44,000 actual miles (it was reserved for 4WD runs and last outs). I got it for a camper / radio MCP, but have too many toys and it's time to start trimming. $7500 as-is, stored at a friend's place in Reno NV.

PM me with your contact info and I'll give him a call. I wouldn't mind that one myself, but it's beyond reach at the moment.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.