Inmates have to pay in Jail...... Best Idea EVER!!!

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I think they should have to pay or it! Nothing is free in america anymore!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pursuit

May 23, 2010
Pulaski County, AR
If you go to court, and are convicted of a crime, then I absolutely believe you should have to pay for your own jail cost. This reduces the tax burden for law abiding citizens, and forces the criminals to literally pay for choosing to break the law.

For those criminals who are unable to pay, doing community service to off set the jail cost would be an effective alternative. Common sense is my philosophy on life.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Pursuit said:
For those criminals who are unable to pay, doing community service to off set the jail cost would be an effective alternative. Common sense is my philosophy on life.

Unfortunately, it's not our government's philosophy

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
We're paying for their '3 hots and a cot'.... amongst all the other ammenities they get there. I don't think $5 is an extrodinary amount of money to ask them to pay. :crazy:

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
What are you going to do to them when they can't pay? House them longer? Put them back? How are they going to find a job to be able to pay with a record?

No, it's a civic responsibility for tax payers to support the criminal justice system. Maybe we should have everyone pay for their elementary schooling too, imagine how much better the education system would be.

I'm just sayin........

Steve-O

May 21, 2010
San Antonio
badge22 said:
What are you going to do to them when they can't pay? House them longer? Put them back? How are they going to find a job to be able to pay with a record?

No, it's a civic responsibility for tax payers to support the criminal justice system. Maybe we should have everyone pay for their elementary schooling too, imagine how much better the education system would be.

I'm just sayin........

Here in Texas we DO pay for elementary schooling. It's called property tax. And I have to pay, even though I do NOT have any children. As for the inmates paying, that's a good idea!

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
Steve-O said:
Here in Texas we DO pay for elementary schooling. It's called property tax. And I have to pay, even though I do NOT have any children. As for the inmates paying, that's a good idea!

I paid $1384.00 towards schooling (via property taxes), even though my kids aren't in the public school system.

As far as the criminals, in Miami-Dade we are allowed to charge "cost recovery." If the def is found guilty he suppose to pay the investigation and court costs to the police department. I say suppose because how many people that actually pay I don't know, I just here the judge including it in the sentence.

As an example the DUI court I had this morning the def was required to pay about 180 bucks. It's something.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Schools and city infrastructure are something I want to pay for. Jail is not. I didn't fuck up, why should I have to pay to house the turd?

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Steve-O said:

Right. and your taxes pay for the service of arresting, prosecuting, and housing criminals. That pretty much sums it up. So if the inmates start paying for their cost of the aforementioned, then the tax payers should get a refund! That won't happen. Agencies will just piss it away.

Sounds right to me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.