Installing Lighthead/Loom into GM Truck Extendable Towing Mirrors

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Anyone run a upfitted loom thru the GM Truck towing mirrors without any binding/kinks when the mirror extends and retracts?

I'm figuring using black wire loom with a few spriral loops, enough to extend and retract.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Thanks

RJ

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Rhinojoe said:
Anyone run a upfitted loom thru the GM Truck towing mirrors without any binding/kinks when the mirror extends and retracts?

I'm figuring using black wire loom with a few spriral loops, enough to extend and retract.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Thanks

RJ

we did it, kinda a pain and we had to really work to not have the wires bind up. If i remember right, we could not have loom running through the arm, we had to tape it as tight as possible. On that note thought, we were able to get 4 18 gauge wires through and to the light.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Just thinking about some other things I've used loom on, the ridges of the loom may bind up. You might need to use some small diameter vacuum line or fuel line over the loom so that you have a smooth surface that the mirror won't bind on. Heat shrink might work also.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
WIRED HDH said:
we did it, kinda a pain and we had to really work to not have the wires bind up. If i remember right, we could not have loom running through the arm, we had to tape it as tight as possible. On that note thought, we were able to get 4 18 gauge wires through and to the light.

Thanks for the heads up.

What do you think about using this;

Fiberglass, Heat Resistant Wire Loom - Black

I'm also worried about the wire inside the mirrors during high summer temps.

RJ

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
MESDA6 said:
Just thinking about some other things I've used loom on, the ridges of the loom may bind up. You might need to use some small diameter vacuum line or fuel line over the loom so that you have a smooth surface that the mirror won't bind on. Heat shrink might work also.

Agreed,

Until I stuff it and work the extend and retract I won't know what will pop up or bind.

It's also has to pivot front and aft, from directly against the door to more than 90 degrees.

Thanks again everyone.

RJ

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
Have you popped the mirror section off yet? Just mimic what the factory wiring is doing behind the mirror and it'll work fine. No loom either. I would use protected wiring like strobe cable (as a widely known example). Something in a casing that is smooth on the outside and flexible. You'll see how simplistic the oem wiring is when you get in there.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
bigcat said:
Have you popped the mirror section off yet? Just mimic what the factory wiring is doing behind the mirror and it'll work fine. No loom either. I would use protected wiring like strobe cable (as a widely known example). Something in a casing that is smooth on the outside and flexible. You'll see how simplistic the oem wiring is when you get in there.

No I haven't. For my 1st new incursion, I always like to ask other Techs that have worked on that particular install, to see what problems and work-arounds they've encountered.

Sounds like the a whelen strobe extension loom might do the trick.

Thank you everyone for all the comments and help.

RJ

Lighten

Jul 4, 2013
Georgia
Strobe cable works the best for mirror installs, thats what i use for them. The GM tow mirrors are prolly the most aggravating to put a light in also super duty mirrors are close behind.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Lighten said:
Strobe cable works the best for mirror installs, thats what i use for them. The GM tow mirrors are prolly the most aggravating to put a light in also super duty mirrors are close behind.

I figured that, just by looking at the GM exploded view and though I'd throw it out for help/suggestions.

Thanks

RJ

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.