Instlr60's Vintage collection and workshop

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
badge22 said:
Now that would be an awesome place to work!

in the summer, we work with the radio on and all the door open, in the winter, it gets frozen. i tell the guys, if its too cold to work in the bay area, dont get yourself sick, the cars can wait, Id rather have a customer complain that it takes a coupla days longer to complete a build, rather than have one of my guys get sick, because im saving up to put a heating system in, so i'd rather play it safe. If it gets chilly,im usually out on the floor ,plying the guys,with hot coffee,and hot soup.. i priced an lp system,but first i have to have the furnance put in...

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
Respondcode3 said:
Maybe I can get a job there as the Neurotic brother of the owner who spends his days saying " Oh my god.. your doing it all wrong."

You need a blonde 12 inch doll running around in circles, screaming "OHMIGOD,that lightbars gonna fly off and kill a busload of nuns !!! :haha:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:
You need a blonde 12 inch doll running around in circles, screaming "OHMIGOD,that lightbars gonna fly off and kill a busload of nuns !!! :haha:

You've been watching "Mother, Jugs and Speed" waaaaaay too much, dude! :p

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Skip Goulet said:
You've been watching "Mother, Jugs and Speed" waaaaaay too much, dude! :p

Its an inside joke.. Our boss.. still my boss. Used always check how tight the clamps were on lightbars sometimes two or thee times. His famous quote was "One of these days a lightbar is going to fly off and kill someone" We adapted it to the bus load of nuns..It was one of his many obsesive compulsve behaviors.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Respondcode3 said:
Its an inside joke.. Our boss.. still my boss. Used always check how tight the clamps were on lightbars sometimes two or thee times. His famous quote was "One of these days a lightbar is going to fly off and kill someone" We adapted it to the bus load of nuns..It was one of his many obsesive compulsve behaviors.

That's almost as funny as the scene in MJ&S where "Mother" chirps the siren at the nuns crossing the street. His line was, "They love it. It takes the place of sex!"

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
Respondcode3 said:
Yes that is Rick.. When the weather is better I will have him get some more pictures of the whole place.. There are litterlly 50-60 bars and parts in the rafters and storage that havent even been put out yet

Heres some more pics to give you a better idea of the shop and its surroundings..ENJOYMVC-024S.JPG

MVC-017S.JPG

MVC-026S.JPG

MVC-028S.JPG

MVC-021S.JPG

MVC-022S.JPG

MVC-023S.JPG

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
Im going to be putting another level in the installion bay,to help out with storage. Well im not ready to expand out, so theres only one way to go, and that up !! theres going to be a stairwell right next to the entrance into the install bay. Ive enclosed a pic of the entrance and soon,ill be posting pics of the second floor and the stairwell. STAY TUNED.....RICKMVC-013S.JPG :undecided: :yes:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:
View attachment 45210View attachment 45211View attachment 45212View attachment 45213View attachment 45214View attachment 45215View attachment 45216View attachment 45217Heres a few shots of my demonstration vehicle. Its set up to show the wide variety of radios which can be utilized, in the consoles i sell and the radios, i sell and do repairs on. it shows different emergency equipment,a traffic directional arrow, strobes, leds, pushbumpers and graphics design.It also shows a number of radios in the back which i have to rearrange plus the different antennas on the roof.View attachment 45210View attachment 45211View attachment 45212View attachment 45213

Now all you have to do is wrap it up so I can bring it home with me!!!

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
I have had the most terrible luck with ups. or should i say "OOPS,i dropped it." plus they are insane with thier prices, i had to switch over to usps, and deal with thier set of trained monkeys, tossing stuff around....

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
MVC-010S.JPG

Yes Jenny, heres a shot i took of the front of the showroom,and you might be able to pick out the 3 skybolts that are there, They are in between the old radar units with the glass covered antenna, and the los angeles county riot gear. in one of the cases, theres the t-2 lights by trio, a pair of handcuffs,from 1863-4 from Georgetown County plantation police, charged with returning runaway slaves,a lapd riot helmet , with the officers handwriitten note and serial number,certifying the officer was involved in the watts riots, in the 1960,s and the battle damage sustained by the officers headgear. and all sorts of stuff....lol. :)

MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-008S.JPG

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
INSTLR60 said:
Yes Jenny, heres a shot i took of the front of the showroom,and you might be able to pick out the 3 skybolts that are there,
Yay! Of course I did lol! :D you have lots of nice stuff Rick! That is pretty cool having the documentation for the riots and the battle damage, I also plan on getting some LAPD can lights someday too!

I still like this piece very much! :hail:

MVC-004S.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:
I have had the most terrible luck with ups. or should i say "OOPS,i dropped it." plus they are insane with thier prices, i had to switch over to usps, and deal with thier set of trained monkeys, tossing stuff around....

I've had problems with both USPS and UPS since I live in a rural setting. Of late, our mail lady has been putting peoples' mail in the wrong boxes, or it's just taken to damned long to get something in the mail. Took two weeks to get a package from NY state, and when I sent my "adopted" father a package from here to Gorman, TX (about 225 mi. driving), it took nine days to get to him.

And now as for UPS. I buy my vitamins via mail order from a place in upper NY state, so I expect about a week to 10 days to get things from them. They generally ship via UPS. Twice within the past year, UPS has lost my order. I've been in the same place for 10 years, and the guy who has run this route has never had problems finding me. But with the big oil boom here in West Texas, UPS has been covered over with deliviers and they've had newbie drivers out on the routes who can't find their a** with both hands! On one occasions my package went back to the office noted "no such address", and the other time the guy left the package clear across town in someone else's garage. Took them a while to get that one sorted out. So now, no more UPS on those order, just USPS. We've had the same mail lady for several months, and our mail (for our part of this "neighborhood") goes to a set of central boxes at the beginning of our road. Saturday the poor girl was overcovered and accidentally put a parcel of mine in my neighbor's box and vice-versa. Got that sorted out. On Dec. 3rd I ordered a couple of things from a place in PA, and one of the items was a gift certificate. Got the gift certificate via regular mail yesterday, but the rest of the order hasn't showed up. No wonder the Post Office is complaining about going broke! They've done that themselves. Rant concluded!

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
Skip Goulet said:
I've had problems with both USPS and UPS since I live in a rural setting. Of late, our mail lady has been putting peoples' mail in the wrong boxes, or it's just taken to damned long to get something in the mail. Took two weeks to get a package from NY state, and when I sent my "adopted" father a package from here to Gorman, TX (about 225 mi. driving), it took nine days to get to him.

And now as for UPS. I buy my vitamins via mail order from a place in upper NY state, so I expect about a week to 10 days to get things from them. They generally ship via UPS. Twice within the past year, UPS has lost my order. I've been in the same place for 10 years, and the guy who has run this route has never had problems finding me. But with the big oil boom here in West Texas, UPS has been covered over with deliviers and they've had newbie drivers out on the routes who can't find their a** with both hands! On one occasions my package went back to the office noted "no such address", and the other time the guy left the package clear across town in someone else's garage. Took them a while to get that one sorted out. So now, no more UPS on those order, just USPS. We've had the same mail lady for several months, and our mail (for our part of this "neighborhood") goes to a set of central boxes at the beginning of our road. Saturday the poor girl was overcovered and accidentally put a parcel of mine in my neighbor's box and vice-versa. Got that sorted out. On Dec. 3rd I ordered a couple of things from a place in PA, and one of the items was a gift certificate. Got the gift certificate via regular mail yesterday, but the rest of the order hasn't showed up. No wonder the Post Office is complaining about going broke! They've done that themselves. Rant concluded!

I could tell you tales of the incompetence, with the postal service. they hire a bunch of second string goofs,who cant read the addresses, and when they do deliver something, they say, "so what" They should offer classes or something, only they probably couldnt find the address of the training center. Your tax dollars at work... :suicide:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
INSTLR60 said:
I could tell you tales of the incompetence, with the postal service. they hire a bunch of second string goofs,who cant read the addresses, and when they do deliver something, they say, "so what" They should offer classes or something, only they probably couldnt find the address of the training center. Your tax dollars at work... :suicide:

I agree with you whole-heartedly, Rick. But they do offer a bit of a mini-class. When I tested for a mail carrier's position about five years ago, we had a short class at how mail was to be routed, etc. This was just prior to the test. I didn't score high enough on the test, which surprised me, because I've run routes before and have always known my way away this area. But it's apparent that the ones that were hired must not know the area themselves!

Something else I ran into a few years ago. I live just a couple of miles from the main mail facility for this part of West Texas. So I took a package to be mailed, and the clerk didn't want to take it. He said that the box had an odor. Neither me or his supervisor could smell anything, and she told him to take it. He still refused and got the mail facility manager, a tall, lanky black dude to intercede. He sided with the clerk and got really mouthy with me. So I simply said, "Either take the package like you're supposed to, or I'm going to the Postmaster", (who was an old high school friend). The tall guy started rantintg and raving and then hollered at one of the clerks, "Call 911, he's threatening a Federal Agent!" Federal Agent, my ass! I just blew it off and started out the door to take the package to UPS (heaven help us). The guy followed me out the door and took a look at my car and then went back inside. I worked over in Odessa at the time and this "encounter" had caused me to lose time, so I scooted down the road. Just as I was getting into Odessa I heard my name and tag number come over the scanner. One of them had actually called the cops. But I never heard anything out of them. I was told later that the cops know the guy and that he's known for these outbursts, so they simply ignore him. So why is he still a manager and a "Federal Agent"? :mad:

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
Skip Goulet said:
I agree with you whole-heartedly, Rick. But they do offer a bit of a mini-class. When I tested for a mail carrier's position about five years ago, we had a short class at how mail was to be routed, etc. This was just prior to the test. I didn't score high enough on the test, which surprised me, because I've run routes before and have always known my way away this area. But it's apparent that the ones that were hired must not know the area themselves!

Something else I ran into a few years ago. I live just a couple of miles from the main mail facility for this part of West Texas. So I took a package to be mailed, and the clerk didn't want to take it. He said that the box had an odor. Neither me or his supervisor could smell anything, and she told him to take it. He still refused and got the mail facility manager, a tall, lanky black dude to intercede. He sided with the clerk and got really mouthy with me. So I simply said, "Either take the package like you're supposed to, or I'm going to the Postmaster", (who was an old high school friend). The tall guy started rantintg and raving and then hollered at one of the clerks, "Call 911, he's threatening a Federal Agent!" Federal Agent, my ass! I just blew it off and started out the door to take the package to UPS (heaven help us). The guy followed me out the door and took a look at my car and then went back inside. I worked over in Odessa at the time and this "encounter" had caused me to lose time, so I scooted down the road. Just as I was getting into Odessa I heard my name and tag number come over the scanner. One of them had actually called the cops. But I never heard anything out of them. I was told later that the cops know the guy and that he's known for these outbursts, so they simply ignore him. So why is he still a manager and a "Federal Agent"? :mad:

that is some squirrly state you live in !!! yikes !! :eek:

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
Hoser said:
Front window area looks cool. Also your PM box is full.

Thank You. i try to make my shop a part museum,radio repair, and police memorabila that I have collected over time, and i like it when i get visitors, who just love to wander around and ask about this or that... :)

INSTLR60

Feb 23, 2012
WISCONSIN DELLS, WI.
rick h. said:
Rick . Looks like it is time to expand .maybe open another location closer to WV. hint ,hint

LOL... It was a nightmare setting up everything, from the time i started to today, its been 3 years. ill be glad when i put in the second level above the repair bay !! I think that will happen after the first of the year.. :undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.