Interdepartmental relationships

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
So here is a random thought for all,

How do you feel about dating someone on the same department as you? New attractive probie or your the probie looking up at a member or any other reason. How many of you have SOPs/SOGs against this? Do you agree with them? Disagree? Any interesting/awkward situations later on?

Curious about thoughts and input. I myself have done it with interesting and surprising outcomes

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
A few of the people I work with are in serious relationships, and 1 is getting married in 2 months. It's acceptable, only rules are you cannot sleep in the same bunk room (each truck has there own room)

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Nope nothing wrong here either.

OH as for seperate bunks nobody said nothing about the top of the hose bed.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
One of my jobs I work at have had quite a few people get married from meeting here. My wife and I are one, another dispatch couple are one (married 2 kids now), a dispatcher and EMT, dispatcher and LEO, and a couple more dispatcher on dispatcher couples. About half the 911 staff are dating each other. lol. It's great sometimes and sometimes not so much. If I do something wrong they tell my wife and vice versa, or anything I do (good or bad) she hears about and vice versa. However, it's good in the fact we know what happens with each other at work and can support one another on decisions made.

I WOULD NEVER SUGGEST WORKING THE SAME SHIFT WITH YOUR PARTNER

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I have seen it work out great with a few of my old explorer buddies who went on to work with the department and found great gals who were deputies there in the department. I've also seen a few situations that never lasted more than 3 or 4 months.. Oi. It's all about compatibility, patience, respect, love, and communication. The ones who made it work out have a positive outgoing attitude both on the job and off. Great examples if you ask me.

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
chief1565 said:
Nope nothing wrong here either.
OH as for seperate bunks nobody said nothing about the top of the hose bed.

Same "one bed - one person" rule.

I met my current wife on the department. And my new girlfriend... :D

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I think it's common knowledge that public safety can get you laid better than any of those "adult dating" websites.

Personally I think as long as the rank structure isn't violated and things are kept professional while on duty, there's no problem. Things get tricky in a "legacy" department. Had a buddy who was dating another member, that member was the daughter of one of our engineers. The breakup did not go well. There's a lot more to the story, but I've been asked not to relay the details. The final result was criminal charges and jail time against the engineer's daughter.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
My wife has prohibited me from dating anyone in the department.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
I wouldn't sleep with, date, or spend a huge amount of time with anyone I have to see even if we break up...it's just a recipe for disaster.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.