Interesting garage sale save

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
I saved an interesting piece of equipment from a garage sale fate today.

This Heathkit GD-18 siren was in a load of items to be taken to a local garage sale.

I had heard of Heathkit in reference to ham radio, but this it the first I had seen or heard of a siren by Heathkit.

I inquired about the siren that was in a box along with a Code 3, model 3634 siren, and was given the 2 sirens.

Right now the working status of either siren is unknown.

uploadfromtaptalk1430069160841.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430069209207.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430069223052.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Neat find. According to YouTube videos, it has classic low/slow tones.

A PDF manual that I found is attached. The complete schematic is included, so if yours doesn't work, send it to me and I should be able to repair it.

Heathkit GD-18 siren.pdf

Attachments

• Heathkit GD-18 siren.pdf
    323 bytes · Views: 8

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
If I remember right, HeathKit started out as an electronics "Kit" seller. I seem to remember

that they had a siren amp unit as a parts kit . . . . . you put it together.  One of my

chiefs (back in the early 70s) soldered one together for his car. Didn't sound too bad.

WOW, that took me back

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
Thanks for the info, I am thrilled to be able to add such a unique piece of vintage equipment to my collection.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could restore it?

I am guessing that finding parts for this thing is about as easy as finding the holy grail?

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Thanks for the info, I am thrilled to be able to add such a unique piece of vintage equipment to my collection.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could restore it?

I am guessing that finding parts for this thing is about as easy as finding the holy grail?
Clean up the faceplate, maybe retouch the lettering, install matching knobs and a new pushbutton switch.

The electronic components are mostly standard. As long as the transformer is good, you should be OK.

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
Well, I spent a few minutes doing a little cleaning and this is what I have so far......

The knobs I swiped from a Code 3, model 3400, after removing the face plate, I found the manual push button to be in good nick, so I am going to leave it, and put a better nut on the outside.

Before I tighten every thing up, I am going to try a bit of polish on the face plate, to try and get rid of the cloudy spot.

uploadfromtaptalk1430099052945.jpg

Reactions: tsquale

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
So I decided to work on the faceplate from my siren today.....

After a little no. 7 rubbing compound and some plastic cleaner, here is the result.

Still not 100%, but I think it turned out nicely from where I started. Next is to touch up the letters, then re assemble.

uploadfromtaptalk1430162675593.jpg

Reactions: jph2 and tsquale

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
I can't seem to wind down either and I'm not very adjusted.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Check the links that were provided in the previous posts. There might be

an adjustment that may be made on the boards to correct that . . . .  not sure

-Pete

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
This same siren my dad bought a mint one at a ham fest for me when I was a kid. For at least 5yrs I used it for the PA to call our dogs on our huge property. I installed it in my first car of course and forgot about it being in there when I sold that car last minute late night. Would love to find another......

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
Ok so I went down stairs and played with my Heathkit a little, today.

The yelp is now functioning properly, however the wail still will not wind down.

It is like something is keeping the voltage up, so the siren will stay at peak, but won't let it fall.

The

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Ok so I went down stairs and played with my Heathkit a little, today.

The yelp is now functioning properly, however the wail still will not wind down.

It is like something is keeping the voltage up, so the siren will stay at peak, but won't let it fall.
Send it my way if you want it repaired.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Those sirens are nice one of the local VFD has one on a old tanker truck and it sounds very nice. Kinda like a slow deep wail tone, Nice find.

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
The old Heathkit sirens sound great and were very reliable back in the day. We had one which was built by one of our old ex-chiefs (now deceased) in a 1967 Cadillac Superior Ambulance. They were 58-watt rated but hooked up to a Federal CP-25 speaker, the siren was LOUD!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I listened to two demos of this siren on YouTube.   It is capable of producing low-pitched tones like 1960s era electronic sirens.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I know nothing of Heathkit sirens, but I have an old PA20 whti a wail that would not wind down, just like yours. Circuitry from one siren to the other might be different, but a faulty capacitor was the problem on my PA20. Might be a place to start looking at.

Good luck!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.